Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Reading lady
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-lady.html
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M

Re: Article: How To Select A Book To Read

Post by Reading lady »

Great article Scott. I tend to stick to the authors I know send like. I have trouble just keeping up with their latest books. It is nice though to come across a new author sometimes. For me that can be through a recommendation from a friend or just plain luck by trying a Fred book offered in Bookgorilla.
Latest Review: "Cunnilingus Mastery" by John M
ITnker
Favorite Author: No favorites.
Favorite Book: See favorite author.
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itnker.html
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha

Post by ITnker »

Meg0169 wrote: I wish it were that easy. My friends and I have been close since we were in elementary school, but we all share a completely different taste in books. Every time I do ask for a recommendation, they say things like "Fifty Shades of Grey" or Nicholas Sparks books. Those are great for some people, but I have no interest in those.
I have that same problem. Every once in a while there will be that one book that they may share that will be interesting though.

Oh, and great article Scott! I find books using a couple of those methods and reading referrals from authors within books.
Some of my happiest moments are when lost within the pages of a book!
Latest Review: "Shadows of Damascus" by Lilas Taha
cam_gold
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

Those were some really good suggestions. Thank you!
crashlee012
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crashlee012.html

Post by crashlee012 »

I like to go to the library or a bookstore and look at the books. I usually read the first chapter or the prologue along with the blurb on the back. It's easier to pick out the goods ones that way and see which ones grab you right off the back. If I don't have money or a library card with me, I usually write the books that "called to me" down in my phone or on a scrap of paper. Then I'll Google them and see how other readers felt about the books. I know it seems like a lot of research for a book, but it helps so I don't end up buying a complete doozy of a book.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

Ok well the way i do it is to look at all the books ou love and see what they have in common my top favorites were
Hunger games
Between shades of gray
Matched and
Divergent
What do they all have in common? They all talk about a society that controls the people and what used to look so perfect is going corrupt so i look for those kinds of books and that is also how I came upon reading acid which I am currently reading
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
SoftCoyote
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: Hawksong
Currently Reading: Through the Looking Glass
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-softcoyote.html
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by SoftCoyote »

If I run out of books I have this habit of going to a book store and walking through the WHOLE store. All I do is just gather a bunch of books that sound interesting then pick based off my budget. Though if I'm too lazy I'll just browse the kindle store until something catches my attention.
reginabally
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reginabally.html
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman

Post by reginabally »

Thanks for the tips!

I make decision on my to-read list based on friend's and Goodreads's recommendations, sometimes through the bestseller lists as well. But I'm currently quite selective on the genre of books that I read, perhaps I'll explore the books in other genres in the future. :)
Latest Review: "Death Takes A Lover" by Olivier Bosman
thebookworm4ever
Favorite Author: Kelley Armstrong
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookworm4ever.html
fav_author_id: 3117

Post by thebookworm4ever »

Thanks you for the helpful suggestions Im always overwhelmed by all the books out there and dont know how to choose or have a hard time finding a book I will love.
jchen624

Post by jchen624 »

I always flip to a random page in the book and read a few paragraphs. If I like what I read, or am curious about it, I read it. If not, then I move on to the next one.
I also find it totally acceptable to judge a book by its cover. If you're looking for mystery novels, then why force yourself to try the book that has fluffy unicorns and bunnies on the cover? Of course, there are always exceptions, but you should generally remember that the cover has been very carefully designed to illustrate what the book is about and is catered to target the demographic that the author is writing for. So if a cover doesn't interest you, then it says something about the book itself.
That being said, the cover shouldn't be a deciding factor in why you choose a book :)
khi_ara_ortega
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khi-ara-ortega.html

Post by khi_ara_ortega »

For me choosing a book to read is usually not to hard of a process. If the cover of the book catches my eye then I pick it up. If it's not the cover then I look at the title. From there I read the first paragraph or page. From there I can tell if a book will interest me enough.
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I sometimes start with a movie I particularly enjoyed, but wished there was more detail, or more...something. I look for the book it was based on, because the book is always better than the movie, and knowing what is about already, can be a plus. I don't mind knowing how the story ends, because I like to analyze how the author writes, and how things are expressed. I also sometimes read a good book more than once.I also ask friends what they are reading.
randomcheerio
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomcheerio.html

Post by randomcheerio »

Good article -- that's exactly how I choose books most of the time.
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

There's a lot to be said for walking round a bookshop, just browsing. (And, not just as a means to choose a book; they're just lovely places for the most part).
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
Headbanginghunny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headbanginghunny.html

Post by Headbanginghunny »

This is a great article! I check out the library to see what they have on display. Also, I inquire about good books from colleagues and friends. My favorite thing to do is to go to a thrift store or Goodwill every couple of weeks and look at their book selection and pick some out based on Goodreads reviews and Amazon reviews to see if it is worth the money. You can also get them half off too, which makes it cheap and less stressful on your wallet. Plus, it means you get more for your money!
DLBomba

Post by DLBomba »

Check out the recently returned books at your local library! When I'm helping check in books at the circulation desk I always find titles I want to read. Most books can't be re-shelved right away so you can ask to see the book cart that is waiting to be shelved.

I used to look for brightly colored, appealing book covers when I first started reading Adult Fiction, moving out of Young Adult Fiction.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”