Why read if you're not gonna write down the road

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Emin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Why read if you're not gonna write down the road

Post by Emin »

Why just enjoy in other people's thoughts, why stay lazy, why not think hard and try to enjoy in your own thoughts..
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

Its not necessary that every prompt reader ends up writing..
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

I would love to be a writer, but no matter how hard I try, even if I have a nice idea for a story, the moment I grab a pen, it's gone. I have all these stories but I can't get them on paper. So instead I enjoy the stories of the ones that can write. The writers need the readers, and the readers need the writers :wink:
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

I love reading but have neither the interest nor the ability to become a writer, in the same way that i love movies but im not a director or actor!
You only live once.....so live!
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

StephenKingman wrote:I love reading but have neither the interest nor the ability to become a writer, in the same way that i love movies but im not a director or actor!
Very well put :)
dansgoldilocks

Post by dansgoldilocks »

You don't have to be a chef to enjoy a delicious meal.

Personally, I would love to be a published author one day. But not everyone has that desire, or the ability. But they still enjoy, and can very much appreciate, a good book, written by a talented author.

Reading books isn't about being lazy, and frankly, I have to wonder how you can think reading books is lazy. Aside from the fact that you have to learn how to read, it's much more difficult to appreciate a good book than it is to watch a TV show. TV puts it all out there for you, no thinking required; even gives you the images to go with the storyline. With a book, you must not only read and comprehend what you are reading, but you have to use your own imagination to see what's happening in the story.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

dansgoldilocks wrote:You don't have to be a chef to enjoy a delicious meal.

Personally, I would love to be a published author one day. But not everyone has that desire, or the ability. But they still enjoy, and can very much appreciate, a good book, written by a talented author.

Reading books isn't about being lazy, and frankly, I have to wonder how you can think reading books is lazy. Aside from the fact that you have to learn how to read, it's much more difficult to appreciate a good book than it is to watch a TV show. TV puts it all out there for you, no thinking required; even gives you the images to go with the storyline. With a book, you must not only read and comprehend what you are reading, but you have to use your own imagination to see what's happening in the story.
You sum it up perfectly
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Emin wrote:try to enjoy in your own thoughts..
Do I have to become a writer to do that?

I'm confused.
tigeropig

Post by tigeropig »

I don't believe that if you read you schould write. Some people love to read but may be horrible at writting or can't stay on topic.
B-fly

Post by B-fly »

I enjoy movies too but I'm not shooting them :shock:
ShipOfFools

Post by ShipOfFools »

I'm actually working on a novel right now. I don't know if I'll ever finish it, or if I do, if I'll ever get it published. But I'm hoping that I do finish it.

Right now, there's a lot of uncertainty about the plotline, although I have the basics sketched out.
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

All the very best for your novel. I hope that you get it published as well! :)
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

Most people like myself love reading but just can't put together a novel.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

I write poetry when I am agitated. Some have been published. Other than that I just sit and stare at a blank page. I love reading but find that the juices don't flow for writing at least not when I am happy and I would rather be happy.
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I don't find that the two things have to happen. I'm content just reading.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”