Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rebecca_13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-13.html

Re: Why People Read Less And Less

Post by Rebecca_13 »

I am 17, so you could argue I am young, from my perspective I find the convenience of reading has been harder to find. I'm an avid reader, however I find having such high amounts of school work and having a part time job makes time to read harder to find. Also due to studying English Literature and having to pull apart every single part of a book especially one you truly love can take away your love for the book, specifically as I am taught to detach myself as much as possible from the characters when that's something I quite enjoy- for instance my hatred for Daisy in 'the Great Gatsby'.
You would think that from the input of technology such as kindles, ipads and E readers, that people would be reading more.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

IMHO It's the dumbing down of our society in general...technology isn't going to go away either...TV and technology tend to make people lazy plus it's instant entertainment...ooooo lights and colors and 200 stations around the clock filled with dreck...why would such people reach out to pick up a book and think? It's sad :(
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I wonder if a lot of people don't read because their minds are more visual than verbal.
darcyb123
Favorite Author: Amy Tan
Favorite Book: The Far Pavilions
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darcyb123.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 3701

Post by darcyb123 »

I think many people don't read as much today as in the past for many reasons, but especially because of the direction our education system has gone. I'm not saying schools do a crappy job of teaching, so please don't take offense! It is a fact, however, that literature was a much more prominent component in education in the past than it is now. If we want people to read, we must make reading an integral part of their life. I hope education is able to move in this direction.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

C. S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
william_ip_2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-ip-2000.html

Post by william_ip_2000 »

I find it easiest to read whilst travelling especially during transit when you're sort of away from everyday life.
Katie9140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie9140.html

Post by Katie9140 »

I think that it can be hard for some of us who sit in front of computers and reading business documents, especially in electronic form, to want to run home and read more when your eyes are shot and you are mentally exhausted. Sometimes you just need to sit in front of mindless tv to give your brain a rest. I would certainly agree that reading is a better choice than tv watching, but sometimes TV has its place too, it's not completely a waste of time. Especially if you are watching something where you are learning, like the History Channel or PBS.
CattieA
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cattiea.html

Post by CattieA »

I know I already wish I read more. I own so many books and there are so many more that I want to read. It is amazing how little time there really is in a day. Especially after working all day and then coming home to a child. So yes I understand where people are coming from when it comes to reading less.
cathjade
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathjade.html

Post by cathjade »

I read less because of the nature of my work, it's hard to get time for books.
whybark
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whybark.html

Post by whybark »

Impatient
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I try to read whenever I can and read to my toddler but I don't really know anybody anymore that really reads, they are either always playing games on the computer or they are playing on whatever console they may have.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

People are too busy watching TV and books have become more expensive.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
sbanks147
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbanks147.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by sbanks147 »

I also think video games plays a big role in why young men especially do not read more. My fiance barely reads any and instead plays video games at least a few hours a day in his free time, sometimes playing all day when he has a day off. Technology enables him to be able to do this, and he would rather do this than read something that is going to make him actually think or learn something new, because this is what he has grown up doing and it is a past time among many of his friends.
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

There's a lot of reasons as to why this may be happening. As you said, I think TV plays a factor in it. Why read when you can just listen? Perhaps literacy in undervalued, since the literacy rate is almost 100%.
S dot Lennon
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: My current book theme is banned books
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-dot-lennon.html
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by S dot Lennon »

People don't read as much because there are so many other things competing to take up our time. We have hours upon hours of accessible television through cable, satellite, Netflix and Hulu. We have social media and Youtube. People don't have a reason to pick up a book anymore. Most would rather play Xboxone or Playstation4. And now a lot of people will simply wait for it to be turned into a movie. We have to make a conscious decision to set time out to read. I enjoy watching TV but most of whats on TV now is trash. We are overwhelmed with reality television, the majority of which is stupid and mindless. This year I came a lot closer to my goal of reading more than I watch TV. I think that was a good decision on my part.
All I need is a new book and a place to read it...
Latest Review: "Whispered Secrets Whispered Prayers" by Donna Mack
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

Since technology is getting more advances people are reading less

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”