Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
VM1138
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Why People Read Less And Less

Post by VM1138 »

I get that people don't read books as much anymore. Most people are struggling to make ends meet and don't have time or money. What's encouraging is that kids are reading a lot more, but since the number of easily accessible authors is shrinking somewhat, I hope that doesn't end up discouraging them from reading once they run out of all the bestsellers.

But all these studies that show reading is dying never seem to take into account changes in reading habits. Families may not read books anymore, but they do read online. They may not read newspapers but they read news stories online. They talk on message boards, etc. They do still "read."
NanoWasabi
Favorite Author: JRR Tolkien
Favorite Book: Watership Down
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanowasabi.html
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising

Post by NanoWasabi »

I believe that books and reading are kind of evolving into video games. It's not like books aren't fun to read anymore, but there is a lot of appeal for games. Instead of just reading the story and experiencing it from the sidelines, you're actually part of the story; saving a country from annihilation, or helping your allies get through a particularly rough spot. And when YOU help them, as opposed to some character helping them, you feel useful. One of my least favorite parts about books is knowing something that the hero doesn't know, and if you could just tell him, warn him, it would save him so much pain.
Latest Review: "MXX: Agent Soldier" by Donald Schlising
SophieMarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiemarie.html

Post by SophieMarie »

I personally have gone through a time where I read all the time to I didn't read much at all (unless it was a children's book). I'm at a point in my life that I really enjoy picking up a book and getting lost in the pages.
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

I was a voracious reader in school and college., which is in the 90's. That was a time when tv had limited channels and there was no internet. Books were the best past time besides socializing. Today there are a lot other things that take away one's time. So there is less and less of reading. However I think reading is a personal habit, one who has it doesn't let go of it. So if today I use the internet, I make it a point to scour all news channels, editorials that I can lay my hands upon. But reading novels have come down because of a busy life. I would like to nurture this habit in my 3 year old though, so he grows up to be an avid reader to.
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I totally believe its the whole 'instant gratification' sense that society has now. TV, DVDs, digital downloads, makes entertainment so much easier, and less work, for people.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

I completely agree and i wish people would understand you work to live you don't live to work
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
Bookworm0266
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm0266.html
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano

Post by Bookworm0266 »

I think this is a great topic. The definition of reading has changed greatly from what it used to be. Reading can be done through so many different formats then the traditional format. Today, there are digital and audio books.
Latest Review: "Other (This title is supposed to have a checkmark in front of it, but the form disallowed it.)" by Cindy Campopiano
DLBomba

Post by DLBomba »

I used to use the excuse that I didn't have time to read during the years I was in college until I realized just how many hours I wasted watching television. I wasn't watching anything in particular, just channel surfing. I was an avid reader in my youth and am happy to say I have gotten back to reading more.

As a new librarian in a public library system in Central Virginia, I look forward to connecting with avid readers both young and old, male and female.
lanebaker98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanebaker98.html

Post by lanebaker98 »

Well whats happening is that ever since electronics became even available, people have almost completely ditched reading for stupid little games like candy crush
David Dawson
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-dawson.html
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman

Post by David Dawson »

Obviously I haven't read the studies in the original article, but this strikes me partly as an exaggerated thing. Along the lines of kids today have no respect etc.; plenty of people still read plenty.
Latest Review: "The Mystery Factor" by Michael Brightman
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

There may be an economic aspect as well. I have a very limited budget for entertainment. I can spend $10 on a good book, and it will give me 2 hours of entertainment reading it. Or I can spend $3 on a room escape game that may take me twice as long to finish. So, while I'd prefer the book, I can't always justify the cost difference.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html

Post by prarich »

While there are many other avenues of entertainment, books still remain a steady source of information, knowledge and of course entertainment. People read lesser possibly due to being busier in life, in the day to day humdrum. This makes it difficult for one to focus and read. Time is an important factor too that people don't have today.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

Reading this article and thinking about people I know and how much they read, I tend to think the biggest reason is the pace and nature of life today. The people I know who don't read often have various reasons -- they don't find it interesting, they feel like it's not a good use of their time because they feel they should be doing something productive, they don't have the energy after a full day at work.... I think today's demanding lifestyles take so much out of people that they end up seeing reading as too tiring, too time consuming, and not productive enough. Plus, because there is ever increasing emphasis on efficiency and effectiveness, activities like reading are less valued. It's very efficient and effective to send an sms -- you can say everything you need to say to someone without even having to take the time to spell out words, make sentences, or actually talk to someone anymore. People are so bombarded by emails at work that if you don't write an email with more white on the screen than words, no one will read it. Most of the time, they won't read it even then. Why value writing/reading in this kind of environment? I wonder where we'll be in another 50 years.

-- 18 May 2014, 09:16 --
fitzml wrote: Worse still, reading is generally a solitary pursuit. That's anathema in this age of social media where talking is more highly valued than listening and non-stop interaction is more important than analysis and reflection.
I think that's very true, fitzml.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
RobertM
Favorite Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Favorite Book: The Lathe of Heaven
Currently Reading: Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

Post by RobertM »

I think the internet has to be the biggest reason why many people read less these days. But we're in transition here, too. Interest in reading must be built by the parents and the teachers. It's only a matter of format. These days, you're working with the Connected Generation and it's about putting reading in their faces, not directing the methods they actually use to read. Basically, reading is just absorbing words into your brain written by other human beings. The 'how' isn't important. Only the action itself is important.

For example, libraries with paper books may not interest them if they can get the same thing on the internet. So in order to create a new crop of readers from the Connected Generation, you have to direct them to the connection. Kindle books, articles in digital format you think they should see, or a classic writer's entry at Wiki. To them, paper is not for writing or reading unless they have to, and most don't WANT to. It's a tough concept, and anathema to some, but it's reality.

Teachers and parents should go with the flow and understand these concepts. Instead of giving your kids hard copies of books, give them a gift card to Amazon, a Kindle, and pre-load that sucker with the basic classics instead. When they're little. If you catch these kids when they're young with these things, they might actually read the books you suggest. As they get older - like all readers - they will become more selective and pick and choose what they like. You just have to get them started. Start young. That's the key.

With the Connected Generation, this might be the best way to do it. It's not the delivery system. It's the end result that counts. :)
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

I enjoy tv and books for different reasons. I think they each have their place and their own value.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”