Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Re: Why People Read Less And Less

Post by hareid03 »

I think another reason is that more and more books are being turned into movies. So a new and common mindset now is "why bother reading the book when I can just watch the movie?" I know that I've been guilty of thinking this when it came to assigned books in high school. If I really didn't like a book, like The Scarlet Letter for example, then I would just get the movie to watch so I would at least get the gist of the plot.
improbable
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by improbable »

People read more now than ever, they just do a lot of the reading online. What's even more interesting is that we write more now than ever before, also mostly online. Is is our modern lifestyle, so often cynically compared to a mythical golden age of harmony and good values, that allows us to consume more information and entertainment than ever before. Good storytelling is no longer limited to literature, there is a broader spectrum of venues for people to share and enjoy a good story, to teach and to learn, to be exposed to intersting points of view and so on.
cjsisson
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjsisson.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by cjsisson »

I can honestly say growing up I can't remember my parents reading to me. I do remember a few favorite books from my childhood but not sure if I "found" them in school or had them at home. I know through my teens I only read what was required in high school and through my twenties only what was needed for college, after graduating I remember swearing off all books for a couple years.

I'm in my thirties now, mother of two, and I can't read enough! This summer I was reading 3-5 books a week as well as reading a chapter book to my six year old and "Good Night Moon" to my toddler (repeatedly lol). I even got my husband hooked on reading, most often he or I will find a good book and pass it on to the other so we talk about it. Neither of us were ever into reading for pleasure prior to our thirties, perhaps we were too young to appreciate the joy a good story brings.

As a mother I have already vowed to teach my children the joy books can bring. I want them to understand how entertaining a good book can be and how your imagination is so much better at showing you the story then just watching a movie.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

People read less and less because reading takes time. Our generation is so advanced with our technology to make things faster. This explains why some of us do not have the kind of patience to sit back and exercise our mind. We seem to be running away from appreciating everything and slow things down for a bit.
jessica_a_m
Favorite Author: Jane Austen maybe

Post by jessica_a_m »

We are getting lazy, I love reading, but when you start a new book you know it's not going to be enough with a couple of hours. Also, those who read are not always seen with good eyes, so young people (is not like I'm old, but I have been living half of my life, or mor,e without internet) prefer to find another hobby. It's sad, but as you have already said, reading also takes a lot of mental effort and we are not being trained for that kind of exercise anymore.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

This is very true, I've learned to multitask reading and watching tv and I have time set aside for reading right before I go to bed
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html
Latest Review: "Within the stars" by Rachela marie lavita

Post by jgreen11 »

First of all, I agree that books aren't being read, but is it really that different than before? In my experience people have always either read or didn't like it. I don't think that's very different now, though I'd agree that our society reveres the busy workaholics more than is healthy.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:34
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

hareid03 wrote:I think another reason is that more and more books are being turned into movies. So a new and common mindset now is "why bother reading the book when I can just watch the movie?" I know that I've been guilty of thinking this when it came to assigned books in high school. If I really didn't like a book, like The Scarlet Letter for example, then I would just get the movie to watch so I would at least get the gist of the plot.
I agree with this!
Lately I found myself watching the movies AFTER reading the books. My mom asked me: if you already know the story, why are you watching the movie?
And I told her: Because this way I can compare with what I imagined in my head and to clear some doubts I had about the story/plot.

Sadly it's happening the other way around. Most people are too lazy to make a mental effort of following a story through words, so they will just watch the movie instead because the movies do all the job for them.
And then, of course, most people don't feel like reading the book because they've watched the movie.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Artiste8

Post by Artiste8 »

I didn't grow up around computers or a lot of channels on TV. I was lonely a lot, my brothers much older than me, so I read. I think if I was a teenager today, I wouldn't read as much. I would be to busy updating my Facebook and checking everyone else's Facebook too. I would have to keep up with my friends in using Facebook, texting etc.. I am glad I know what life is like without so much technology. I am not against technology, it's what I do for my job, but I do believe you need a balance in life. I think most kids theses days don't have that balance.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Charlene wrote:People read less and less because reading takes time. Our generation is so advanced with our technology to make things faster. This explains why some of us do not have the kind of patience to sit back and exercise our mind. We seem to be running away from appreciating everything and slow things down for a bit.
Good point. With all the texting people do, they don't even have the patience to talk to people on the phone anymore. Everything is abbreviated. No wonder people are reading less traditional books.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
jgreen11
Currently Reading: Deception Point
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgreen11.html

Post by jgreen11 »

Artiste8 wrote:I didn't grow up around computers or a lot of channels on TV. I was lonely a lot, my brothers much older than me, so I read. I think if I was a teenager today, I wouldn't read as much. I would be to busy updating my Facebook and checking everyone else's Facebook too. I would have to keep up with my friends in using Facebook, texting etc.. I am glad I know what life is like without so much technology. I am not against technology, it's what I do for my job, but I do believe you need a balance in life. I think most kids theses days don't have that balance.
You're so right. I think that when I got facebook and then a smartphone, my life changed a lot from real conversations to messaging conversations. Though technology is great, it's difficult to remove oneself from all of the easy communication possible nowadays and take time away from phones and computers to read. I have two books sitting next to my bed that I really want to read, but I suppose my priorities aren't in the right order, or I loose myself on facebook instead.
For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Luke 12:34
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Trix9201 wrote:I think that people read books less because there are so many other things to read; the internet has an endless supply, magazines, newspapers to name but a few. I have friends who are reading all the time and are people of significant information but haven't finished a book since high school.

Another theory I have is that reading as a passion and a pass time needs to be modeled to people so they continue reading. The only book I saw my dad read was the Bible because he was so busy working to support all of us. But my mother was always reading to us and in front of us as a result my brothers and sister and I are voracious readers (especially reading with our kids). Nowadays, it is hard to sit down and read with your kids or on your own when there is school, dinner, extra-curricular activities, baths, homework, housework etc. My family gave up tv in order to make more time and budget room for reading.
I second this Trix!I agree!
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

I agree with all your reasons on why people read less. Many kids these days find video games more entertaining and parents are also in too much of a hurry to try to get their kids to like books/education. However my children love books but they also like tv. I only let them watch Disney Junior since they are toddlers (no Sponge Bob allowed) and they have learned so much from them shows.
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
jmeza10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmeza10.html

Post by jmeza10 »

I would have to say that there are a lot of reasons why. First of all technology, it makes it easier to google for answers rather than pick up a book and look for it. Not only is googling easier but people are more interested in watching tv, movies, playing games, etc. Also, some people don't enjoy staying in one spot and reading. I have tons of friends that rather be outdoors hiking, mountain climbing, and so forth rather than being inside reading a book. I just think that reading might not be for everyone and its okay.
“It is said that power corrupts, but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power" — David Brin
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I think that there are a number of reasons why people are reading less and less. I definitely agree with the other posters that it has a lot to do with technology. Why would any one sit down and read a book when they can just google it and find out the main aspects of it? Why not just make things simple? I don't think that books are made to be simple- they are meant to inspire people to think and follow another person's train of thought. I think that many people today simply may not like the challenge of having to devote time to reading, which is sad.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”