Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ciera0492
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciera0492.html

Re: Why People Read Less And Less

Post by Ciera0492 »

I believe in the past books were a place that children and adults could escape to. A place where they could do away with the struggles of the present.

I feel like video games have taken that part in society. If they want to escape they simply flip a switch.

I don't want to step on any toes but the majority of children with autism are fixated on video games instead of books.

A third reason could be because children are drowned with books so early in life. You are made to read 20 minutes a night and a parent has to sign for it. There is nothing wrong with that allotted amount of time but it is hard to motivate the child to read when his other siblings are watching tv or playing xbox. To top it off the book he is reading very well may be one he doesn't enjoy, but had to choose it from a list while being hurried through the school library.
daydreamer_23
Favorite Author: Maya Angelou
Favorite Book: Wouldnt Take Nothing for My Journey Now
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreamer-23.html
fav_author_id: 2478

Post by daydreamer_23 »

Because of the introduction to social media sites like Youtube, Facebook, Instragram, and many other websites, people are not so inclined to making time for themselves to read.
darkhuntress
Currently Reading: City of Lost Souls
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkhuntress.html

Post by darkhuntress »

People today read less and less because they are becoming more interested in video games, TV and cellphones then books. I have some friends who hate reading but are addicted to video games. I guess it could depend on if they were taught as a child to like reading and that reading is a good thing for you to do.
"Fear in a name, only increases fear in the thing itself"
readerromance2003
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: Dark Magic
Currently Reading: Red
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerromance2003.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by readerromance2003 »

Let's go through the list of excuses:
1. Work keeps me busy
2. The kids had to go to after school activities
3, I needed to clean the house
4. Dinner needed to be prepared
5. School work takes up my time
6. I need to watch this show or news channel
7. I have to go shopping and run errands.....

I think I have heard all of these and more. Take one half hour a day pick up something you like to read and just read it! Don't make an excuse why you can't.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”