Why People Read Less And Less

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Wordsgood

Post by Wordsgood »

blue_doona32 wrote:I'm also sad to say that I am part of my high school's book club (technically a nerdy thing in any generation, by anyone's standards, but I could care less), and people just gawk at the kind of books I do read, or how fast I read them. Its nothing acomplishing (that I'm an avid reader), but its because they don't realize that books are like air to me. I'm dissappointed in the youth of today because older people keep saying we are the future. Quite frankly, that scares me. Kids these days have no idea who people like Plato, Steinbeck, Dante, Socrates, Salinger, and so many more wonderful authors are, and they could care less. Its a frightening idea to behold.

I pity those who are governed by children from my generation.
My Goodness - I never would have guessed how young you are from your previous posts! :shock: Until joining this site I had felt as you do now about today's youth and the scary prospect of their being our "future." But now, please give yourself a big pat on the back because you have just proven that all hope is not lost! Knowing there are youth like you (and some others on this site), who will be stepping into society's leadership roles soon gives me great hope for the future. Please keep up the great work - all of you! :D
blue_doona32
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by blue_doona32 »

The post above makes a good point about reading at work, but I'd have to disagree with the statement that being able to read is expensive. Library cards are free and so are the books you can borrow. There's always a way.

Having said that, I would also like to point out the literacy rate in America. It is severly low because no one really encouraged young children to read. I have seen it day after day with my own classmates and friends who can't properly read. Some of the seniors in my class can only read on a sixth grade level. Because of this, teachers have to dumb down the curriculum and it isn't as in depth as it should be. Where is the justice in that?

I feel I will turn into a bitter person if I keep going on, so I'll stop :wink:
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
pildyk

Post by pildyk »

Yap, there are less and less peoples who read the books. They better watch tv or play computer then read them. I think this is new generation first problem
blue_doona32

Post by blue_doona32 »

Yap, there are less and less peoples who read the books. They better watch tv or play computer then read them. I think this is new generation first problem
Yes I agree full heartedly. Reading is all about information. That's it. We learn every day through human contact. We read things like the weather, people's emotions, people's limits, even the traffic lights! What's so different about a book? Maybe it just takes longer to figure out what someone is trying to communicate to us?

I want to be informed on everything that has to do with anything. But I want them in 10-second bites. :roll:
the difference between the right word and the almost right is really a large matter. It is the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning ~Mark Twain
carolb

Post by carolb »

Where have I been? My husband has been an avid participant of the online World Golf Tour (fits nicely into your hypothesis of our love of entertainment and sports!), and yet it has taken me this long (6 months) to explore online my own true love, books!

Your assessment of why people read less and less is so true. The death of Walter Cronkite, a man of television yes, but a man who also was a great reader. He abhored the transition of news as entertainment after he retired in the early 80's. What people miss about the news today is what he offered in spades. Truth, with substance, with the mind of a thinker who was well read.

Every year for the past 15 years I've done the unthinkable and written a yearly newsletter at Christmas. I tell of our family doings, of course, but what has evolved over these many years is my take on the happenings of that year, be it a political occurance, a great book I have read during the year, etc. Over these years I have been pleasantly surprised at how much everyone has loved my interpretation of that year's news, the insight they gain into my thoughts of the books I had read during that year, and so on. One year I was unable to write a newsletter and that next year's Christmas cards were filled with regrets about not having received one from us.

What I gleaned from this is that people are so hungry for knowledge, but have been reconciled to the monotony of the TV and to the effortness of reading. When it has all been packaged and sent on its way, their appreciation is endless.
shadylady

Post by shadylady »

I know why people no longer read. It's because they've forgotten how to read english that isn't abbreviated! I keep getting e-mails and messages on facebook from friends that i can not understand because it only has half the letters of every word!! Argh!! Are we really so lazy that we can't be bothered to extend a finger to reach the letters on the keyboard??? it's not wot, it's what!!!! it's not plz it's please!!!! and you is spelt y-o-u!!!! Argh!!
Kitten

Post by Kitten »

shadylady wrote:I know why people no longer read. It's because they've forgotten how to read english that isn't abbreviated! I keep getting e-mails and messages on facebook from friends that i can not understand because it only has half the letters of every word!! Argh!! Are we really so lazy that we can't be bothered to extend a finger to reach the letters on the keyboard??? it's not wot, it's what!!!! it's not plz it's please!!!! and you is spelt y-o-u!!!! Argh!!
I totally agree!!! It drives me nuts that people seem to have forgotten how to speak in words other than acronyms. I listen to the OMG's and TTYL's and cringe. I'm afraid to see what English will become 50 years from now.
davidverney

Post by davidverney »

I think it's a great pity. It will only lead to America's downfall in the end as there will be less American's who have reached their intellectual potential.

Have a great read

David
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

This is definitely something I have noticed these past years, but I'm not sure the problem's pinpointed so easily as this topic suggests. I'm sure television and our other technologies are great contributors, but they're also symptoms, if you look at it. The quality of all of it has declined greatly since the beginning of it, whichever aspect you look at this past century. Even movies, you'll note, have seen a harsh decline from when they told stories to just deluging us with explosions, and real thought-provoking films, while still existent, seem to have become more rare. Even video games have declined from things that could be rather stimulating, like ye olde text-based adventure games, to WOW and Halo, which have literally ruined lives.

I cannot blame technology; I'm studying to become an engineer, and no one who reads can think the advancement of technology is an evil, most books denounce that idea. What I think we are doing is abusing it. We use these devices and these mediums not to grow, either through intellectual stimulation or through interaction with others, but to isolate ourselves and keep ourselves amused until it gets boring. Then it's on to the next toy. I know many people lament the loss of smaller communities, where people seemed to care about each other a bit more. I'm sure the picture is idealized, but I do know that people are a lot more introverted.

What I wish I had is an answer. I don't, at least not one that can reverse what I see happening... Ever met a bookseller who could tell you about any book in their store at the drop of the hat? The people with the cell phones and the earbuds don't want to hear them talk, least not in my experience. It makes me sad, especially when I see another independent bookstore that's been open for thirty years shut its doors for good.
Last edited by The Mythwriter on 25 Aug 2009, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
bob1974

Post by bob1974 »

It really is a sad fact that people do not pick up books as much as they used to , but a glimmering hope are the mega hits recently out there, Twilight series, Harry Potter, the Olympians series, that have gotten the kids into picking up books more so, yes I am sure more than not they would rather blog, surf web, or text each other but at least they are being exposed to reading and do so very willingly and look for more after that within the same genre. I do have hope for this generation of young readers being interested in books, purely for pleasure and I enjoy sitting at the coffee shop in my bookstore and watching the younger crowd come in and out, puts a smile on my face
bookworm1

Post by bookworm1 »

What I can't understand is what's so great about watching tv. Nothing but garbage. The only thing I watch is sports and TCM. I read most of the time. :lol:
Vdcnsrg

Post by Vdcnsrg »

I would have to say that the technology is responsible for the decrease in reading. TV, Internet, and all that stuff are a priority over reading for many people.
1cooldaddyo

Post by 1cooldaddyo »

I think the publishing industry is suffering from the same disease as the music industry.

Record sales are not falling because of iTunes, file sharing, or anything else. It is because the music isn't worth paying for anymore.

The publishing industry has been turning out so much worthless drivel for the past few years that people are just ceasing to read completely. Why invest the time and money in buying and reading a poorly written and boring book when you can watch a boring poorly written TV show and have time left over to surf the net.
macro01

Post by macro01 »

It's sad to admit that the interest of people in reading books
are now lesser compared before. Another factor is Internet.
People now busy doing online games, and watching movies
online.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I guess the reasons are simple enough, they're just too lazy to think.It's easier to switch on TV or surf the net for them

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”