Jane Eyre?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RClayton92
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Jane Eyre?

Post by RClayton92 »

I love this book - but I can never decide if I love it because it is a well written novel, or because I've read it so many times, and first read it when I was so young, that it has such great sentimental value for me.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

One of the first classics I fell in love with.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
Alison97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison97.html

Post by Alison97 »

Omigosh, I had to read Jane Eyre for summer homework and LOVED it. Well, mostly I loved it once I had finished it, as well as all the associated worksheets, and got to let everything sort of wash over me without the pressure of a deadline. Still, I really liked the that book's intensity
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

It's my favourite book ever. Since I was 9... I just can't get enough of it.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

Little Hero wrote:I had to read Jane Eyre for my English course, I thoroughly enjoyed it and would happily read it again. If you liked Jane Eyre, you may like to read The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, which tells the back story of Bertha Mason, Rochester's secret mad wife. I posted a review of it in the reviews section (won't let me post a direct link here!) :D
Really? I have heard of the book but had no idea! That's going on my reading list!
I am so glad that there are so many fans of this classic book out there. It is my favorite. It was recommended by my high school lit teacher and I make it a point to read it at least once a year. I love Jane's moral strength. The temptation to do wrong is so great, but she does what is right. And in the end, she is rewarded for it. Some might feel it is bogged down with too much about her growing up, but it is what makes her who she is.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
Melrn
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melrn.html

Post by Melrn »

Loved it! It's been a few years and I've been contemplating rereading it.
KitKat_Reader
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-reader.html
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by KitKat_Reader »

I guess I will be the first to say that I honestly did not like this book one bit. To me the story wasn't very interesting or gripping and she would go on and on detailing one thing for like 4 or 5 pages. Don't get me wrong, I love detail but it was just too much for me. If you love this book more power to you, but this is just one I couldn't get in to which honestly doesn't happen very often.
Latest Review: "Hat of Keepings" by D.C. Vincent
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I loved this book and read it several times (and not for class). Great book and highly recommended!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Eyre-thee-well
Favorite Author: Kate Morton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2881">Jane Eyre</a>
Currently Reading: Far From The Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eyre-thee-well.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 4893

Post by Eyre-thee-well »

KitKat_Reader wrote:I guess I will be the first to say that I honestly did not like this book one bit. To me the story wasn't very interesting or gripping and she would go on and on detailing one thing for like 4 or 5 pages. Don't get me wrong, I love detail but it was just too much for me. If you love this book more power to you, but this is just one I couldn't get in to which honestly doesn't happen very often.
I can understand that. The writing style isn't for everyone. It does get bogged down at times with a lot of description. And I think reading it for the first time, I didn't speed through it. But then I would get to a part that would grip me then I would plow through some of the slower parts to get to another interesting passage. Then after reading it many times, I learned to appreciate the slower parts too.
“I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad—as I am now."
― Charlotte Brontë,Jane Eyre
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I love, love, love this book! I first read it during my junior year of high school, and I got so absorbed that I remember getting angry if I had to put it down for any reason. I've been thinking about re-reading it this summer. Hmm...I think I know what I might be doing over the Fourth of July weekend!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
meganxxcooper
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meganxxcooper.html

Post by meganxxcooper »

I didn't like that I had to force myself through it, but now looking back I really enjoyed it. Sometimes those books are just dense.
The First Pancake
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-first-pancake.html

Post by The First Pancake »

Jane is one of my favorite classic novels. It's dark and poetic, which is right up my alley, yet virtue and true love persevere through all the pain and madness. I love the noble, bare bones love and the truely flawed characters navigating their way to and away from each other. It's a book that makes you feel.
GreenBookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenbookworm.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Sean T. Smith

Post by GreenBookworm »

Great book, I read it more times and one of its movie adaptation is surprisingly good.
Rizbi
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Spider's Web
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizbi.html
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rizbi »

Love it. One of the books that I read every couple of years. It always feels like visiting a favorite place for vacation.
Latest Review: "Patrick's Journey" by Roy T Humphreys
DATo

Post by DATo »

The BBC presentation of Jane Eyre (2006 TV Mini Series) was one of the finest bits of programming I have ever seen on American television. It was magical! Thank God for BBC. Quality American programming has gone the way of the dodo I'm afraid.

The actress, Ruth Wilson, who characterizes the title character will forever be my Jane Eyre. Her performance was absolutely stelar.

The series is currently rated at a very respectable 8.5 at Internet Movie Database. I'm sure that the entire series is available on disk and I heartily recommend it to you with confidence that you will enjoy it.

I dare you not to enjoy this excerpt... I DARE you *LOL*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8Vm9EnQdwA
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”