First sentence of current book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Shanskies
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shanskies »

Around midnight, her eyes at last took shape.

Fallen, by Lauren Kate.
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.

(The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman)
You only live once.....so live!
BookReviewer

Post by BookReviewer »

In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
'Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone,' he told me, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had.'

The Great Gatsby
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

'On the day King George V was crowned at Westminister Abbey in London, Billy Williams went down the pit in Aberowen, South Wales'.

- Fall of Giants, Ken Follett
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

"This book was born as i was hungry"- Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
You only live once.....so live!
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

So i am sitting in a Chevy SUV on Third Avenue, waiting for my target, a guy named Komeni Weenie or something, an Iranian gent who is Third Deputy something or other with the Iranian Mission to the United Nations.

"The Lion" - Nelson Demille
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

The January afternoon was passing into night, the pair was cold and still, so still that not a single twig of the naked breech trees stirred; on the grass of the meadows lay a thin white rime, half frost, half snow; the firs stood out blackly against a steel-hued sky, and over the tallest of them hung a single star.

People of The Mist by Henry Rider Haggard

A bit of a long first sentence but I've noticed he doesn't make a habit of putting him into the rest of the story.
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.

Middlesex--Jeffrey Eugenides

I can't seem to put this one down. I'm reading at my desk while paperwork piles up past my eyebrows.
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Tralala wrote:I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.

Middlesex--Jeffrey EugenidesI can't seem to put this one down. I'm reading at my desk while paperwork piles up past my eyebrows.
Lucky you a really outstanding book ... I read it on hols in Portugal a couple of years ago & it was unputdownable (I hate that word but it's the only one that applies). Really made me think. Enjoy ... and to hell with the paperwork. :wink:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

Fran wrote:
Tralala wrote:I was born twice: first, as a baby girl, on a remarkably smogless Detroit day in January of 1960; and then again, as a teenage boy, in an emergency room near Petoskey, Michigan, in August of 1974.

Middlesex--Jeffrey EugenidesI can't seem to put this one down. I'm reading at my desk while paperwork piles up past my eyebrows.
Lucky you a really outstanding book ... I read it on hols in Portugal a couple of years ago & it was unputdownable (I hate that word but it's the only one that applies). Really made me think. Enjoy ... and to hell with the paperwork. :wink:
I fed it to the rats! They'll eat anything.
Fran

Post by Fran »

Tralala wrote:
Fran wrote:

I fed it to the rats! They'll eat anything.
The perfect solution to paperwork ... must remember that :lol:
- My Home by Clive James
Tralala

Post by Tralala »

Fran wrote:
The perfect solution to paperwork ... must remember that :lol:
They're not so good with tax returns, though.

...but obviously the best way is with sleeping pills and a plastic bag over your head...sitting in a tub filled with water, I think.
--Waiting Period by Hubert Selby, Jr.
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

1. Sir Walter Elliot, of Kellynch Hall, in Somersetshire, was a man who, for his own amusement, never took up any book but the Baronetage; there he found occupation for an idle hour, and consolation in a distressed one; there his faculties were roused into admiration and respect, by contemplating the limited remnant of the earliest patents; there any unwelcome sensations, arising from domestic affairs changed naturally into pity and contempt as he turned over the almost endless creations of the last century; and there, if every other leaf were powerless, he could read his own history with an interest which never failed.

Persuasion by Jane Austen

2. Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Fran

Post by Fran »

'One village post office in Austria is much like another: seen one and you've seen them all'.
- The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig
- My Home by Clive James
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

'Stephen was never to forget his fifth birthday, for that was the day he lost his father.'

-When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Penman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”