First sentence of current book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Mairin wrote:
klog13 wrote:The small boys came early to the hanging.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
:D one of my favorites
I just loved that book!! Have you read World Without End?
"Pillars of the Earth" is in my top ten favourite books of all time. It is so good I really don't think Ken Follett will ever write anything anywhere near as good. I have read "World without End" and it is not too bad. It really had too much to live up to. Have either of you read it, i would love to know what you thought of it. :)
Mairin
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mairin »

Gannon wrote:
Mairin wrote:
klog13 wrote:The small boys came early to the hanging.

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
:D one of my favorites
I just loved that book!! Have you read World Without End?
"Pillars of the Earth" is in my top ten favourite books of all time. It is so good I really don't think Ken Follett will ever write anything anywhere near as good. I have read "World without End" and it is not too bad. It really had too much to live up to. Have either of you read it, i would love to know what you thought of it. :)
I thought World Without End was decent, but having read Pillars of the Earth first, it did not match up to it. But it surely wasn't bad either. Those were the only two I've read of his, but I keep glancing at Fall of Giants. It'll have to wait until the TBR list gets a bit shorter, otherwise I would have broken my book resolutions for the new year already!!
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Mairin wrote:
Gannon wrote:
Mairin wrote: I just loved that book!! Have you read World Without End?
I thought World Without End was decent, but having read Pillars of the Earth first, it did not match up to it. But it surely wasn't bad either. Those were the only two I've read of his, but I keep glancing at Fall of Giants. It'll have to wait until the TBR list gets a bit shorter, otherwise I would have broken my book resolutions for the new year already!!
I have "Fall of Giants" on my shelf at the moment. It is about fourth on my TBR list. Lets hope that it turns out to be another "Pillars of the Earth". :)

"A seven o'clock of a Caribbean morning, on the island of Antigua, one Peregrine Makepiece, otherwise known as Perry, an all-round amateur athlete of distinction and until recently tutor in English literature at a distinguished Oxford college, played three sets of tennis against a muscular, stiff-backed, bald, brown-eyed Russian man of dignified bearing in his middle fifties called Dima. "

That is the first sentence of "Our kind of Traitor" - John le Carre'. This has to be the record of the longest first sentence of this post surely. :) :)
Mwhdmiller

Post by Mwhdmiller »

See, it's simple," Alvin Said.

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks
Eclecticreader

Post by Eclecticreader »

''The day the Faraday family started to fall apart began normally enough.''

Those Faraday Girls by Monica McInerney

''To begin somewhere near the beginning, the Maluka - better known at that time as the new boss for the Elsey - and I, his ''missus'', were at Darwin, in the Northern Territory, waiting for the train that was to take us just as far as it could - one hundred and fifty miles - on our way to the Never-Never.''

We of the Never Never by Aeneas Gunn (autobiography)

''When he woke in the woods in the dark and the cold of the night he'd reach out to touch the child sleeping beside him.''

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The first I am enjoying, though not far into it, the second I read it spits and spurts when I'm in the mood for that kind of story (more narrative than dialogue) and the last I started probably a year ago and just haven't finished... is it just me that just couldn't get into The Road? Seems a pretty popular choice on these forums but it just doesn't keep pulling me back for more!
AllieG

Post by AllieG »

hark i hear the cannons roar. lol
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

Reader, be assured this narrative is no fiction.

Incidents in the life of a slave girl - Harriet Jacobs
El_greco

Post by El_greco »

Roughly translated:

"On the 24th of October 1975, the Krinzinger gallery in Innsbruck hosted an unusual and unforgettable event."

Aesthetics of the Performative (or sth like that) - Erika Fischer-Lichte
Mairin

Post by Mairin »

My godmother lived in a handsome house in the clean and ancient town of Bretton.

Villette by Charlotte Bronte
~I'm so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying.~ Oscar Wilde
Cornishgal

Post by Cornishgal »

When you remember those times,they return to you in a series of photographs.

Red Leaves
Thomas.H.Cook
AmorA

Post by AmorA »

And out of the darness Mr. Toppit comes, he comes not for you, or for me, but for all of us.

Mr. Toppit
Charles Elton
Gannon

Post by Gannon »

Didus ineptus permitted himself a slight laugh as he strode along the sidewalk of Persimmon Street, Carew.

"Naked Cruelty" - Colleen McCullough.
Nineteen Eighty-Three

Post by Nineteen Eighty-Three »

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Neuromancer - Gibson
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a goord fortune, must be in want of a wife."

Pride and Predjudice
Jane Austen
Tip the Bottle

Post by Tip the Bottle »

Nineteen Eighty-Three wrote:The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Neuromancer - Gibson
One of, if not my favorite book. I have that sentence as my sig on another board.

"The Harcourt Crater is one of the greatest mysteries of World War One, along with the Angel of Mons, the Phantom Archers, and the Crucified Canadian."

No Man's World: Black Hand Gang - Pat Kelleher
"When the give you things, ask yourself why.
When you're grateful to them for giving you the things you should already have anyway, ask yourself why."
-Lady in Blue, rebel broadcast

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”