Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by knightss »

I enjoy reading because I think it makes me a better person. You learn insight, compassion and understanding with each book. It broadens your horizon by leaps and bounds.
Also, I love reading classical works because i'm a history geek.. it gives me a better understanding of what the past was like from an individualistic perspective.. instead of reading it out of a history book. It's like a miniature time capsule =)
There are many other reasons why I love reading, I won't limit myself to just these two but they are two important ones for me =)
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
awelker

Post by awelker »

knightss wrote:I enjoy reading because I think it makes me a better person. You learn insight, compassion and understanding with each book. It broadens your horizon by leaps and bounds.
Also, I love reading classical works because i'm a history geek.. it gives me a better understanding of what the past was like from an individualistic perspective.. instead of reading it out of a history book. It's like a miniature time capsule =)
There are many other reasons why I love reading, I won't limit myself to just these two but they are two important ones for me =)
thats one thing that i love about historical fiction. i love learning about how life was back then not so much the documented parts of history like wars and important things. i like to learn how people lived and enjoyed life.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

A few of MANY MANY reasons:
1. I can escape this world (sorry but it can get so boring) - hence my avatar.
2. I learn more about myself and others and this world I'm in.
3. I gain more knowledge, brilliant insight, vocab, words, et cetera.
4. I love language.
5. I am a writer myself, and so by reading other's works I can get ideas and tips and what not for my own.
6. I'm a quiet person and I think a lot - reading helps these qualities in me glow.
7. I can go to impossible places, meet impossible people/creatures and go through amazing adventures.
8. I can be and do those things that I could never do or that would never happen.
9. It's so much fun!!
10. I can not only escape the world but myself and my troubles.

These have pretty much been mentioned already, but oh well.
Hope

Post by Hope »

Reading to learn, to have a break from reality for a while, to read what others have wanted to convey, seeing things in other people's view, strengthening my expression skills.

The list couldn't end :wink:
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
♥ ♥ ♥
Everything changes.
perksofbeingme

Post by perksofbeingme »

sleepydumpling wrote:I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
you honestly said exactly what I was going to say, only better :D
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
MsBookworm

Post by MsBookworm »

Syrcco44 wrote:A few of MANY MANY reasons:
4. I love language.
5. I am a writer myself, and so by reading other's works I can get ideas and tips and what not for my own.
6. I'm a quiet person and I think a lot - reading helps these qualities in me glow.
7. I can go to impossible places, meet impossible people/creatures and go through amazing adventures.
8. I can be and do those things that I could never do or that would never happen.
9. It's so much fun!!

Pretty much everything you said except for being a writer.

Plus, it's the cheapest way to go halfway across the world!
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

A house without books is like a room without windows. ~Heinrich Mann
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

MsBookworm wrote:
Syrcco44 wrote:A few of MANY MANY reasons:
4. I love language.
9. It's so much fun!!

Pretty much everything you said except for being a writer.

Plus, it's the cheapest way to go halfway across the world!
Hehe... well said. :D
dejona84

Post by dejona84 »

awelker wrote: thats one thing that i love about historical fiction. i love learning about how life was back then not so much the documented parts of history like wars and important things. i like to learn how people lived and enjoyed life.
I am the same way. Day to Day life back in the day!
“I am not afraid…I was born to do this.” - Joan of Arc
Gard

Post by Gard »

Escape mainly for me.

Also for me, to pass some time. It's better than watching the idiot box aswell! :lol:
xoxo

Post by xoxo »

LOL you would think it's childish, but i read because, i'm not sure if any of you feels the same, but sometimes especially when in shock, i don't know how to act in some situation so it's helpful to read what other did in their shock, and reading helps me understand how ppl feel and think, and don't you sometimes when your into the story live the character's role, it's really entertaining.. so it's great to have a different personality everytime you read a book, or live the characters life even for a couple of minutes LoL don't know why it's hard to show my idea any way hope you understood :D and hope you don't think what i said is weird :P
victory08

Post by victory08 »

i like reading because some books makes me feel better, some books open my mind and also - reading in very captivating :wink:
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I love to read because I get insights on how to live better from the different characters and from their stories. . .
Beth Hoke

Post by Beth Hoke »

As an escape!
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

I read non fiction to better myself. learn ways to keep and stay motivated, learn recipes, learn how to live a healthy lifestyle etc...

I read fiction to learn as well, but also to escape reality, for entertainment and discussion after the fact.
books4smarts

Post by books4smarts »

This may sound strange, but once I get reading, (a good book at least)

it is almost like a movie going on in my mind, at first the pages, seem to blur then the book slowly fades into the background, then the words slowly fade until everything is now going on in my mind.

It is like watching a movie, so much in fact that I often refer to a book that I read as a movie I watched, because at times they are so close to the same thing.

It does take a good book to do that, some books do not come close to that but others do.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”