Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sapphire31
Currently Reading: The Untold Unlocking Of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sapphire31.html

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by sapphire31 »

For me, reading is like a form of a meditation. It refreshes my soul and connects me to a time where I can unload all my stress and brings me back into reality, fully refreshed. While reading, I am gaining more confidence in my writing ability and enhances as well, my logical ability to take a grasp on any issue that I am most likely to confront with, in my daily activities.
maryble_
Favorite Author: Umberto Eco
Currently Reading: La lunga vita di Marianna Ucrìa
Bookshelf Size: 50
fav_author_id: 3190

Post by maryble_ »

Reading, to me, means escaping from reality.
When I read for pleasure or for my studies (which are usually two connected things) I forget everything else: I create my own world, made of words or formulae and equations, that create something like a Faraday cage that separates me from my problems, forcing them to lie outside.
When I read I live not only my usually-boring life, but the lives of the characters of the book I'm holding in my hands.
When I read I feel alive, I feed my brain and heart and I'm just happy about it.
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

It is well known that to learn anything valuable -- and to retain everything learned -- one needs a good teacher. The greatest teachers this world has born have already gone. The only remnant of their teachings is left in books. I've had inspiring moments in my life where I dreamed of reading all of their books, being able to think like they once thought. That's why I like to read.
sbg
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sbg.html

Post by sbg »

I love learning different points of views
JCFindley

Post by JCFindley »

Because knowledge is power so never stop learning
markg11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markg11.html

Post by markg11 »

I like reading for it gives me chances to learn or to escape. I read anything from educational texts and on how to improve student learning to nursing articles showing how to improve nursing care. I also read children's books to let me relive memories of days past and to figure out ways to make learning more fun. I like reading all genres of literature. Reading is fundamental and fun in my life as a teacher, writer, nurse and researcher.
MystAngelBlossom
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Death of Miss Jane Austen
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystangelblossom.html

Post by MystAngelBlossom »

At first I started reading simple to try to enjoy it. I use to dislike reading. Personally I enjoy reading now as a way to escape life for a few hours. Plus I like when there is some history mixed in with fiction. I'm learned more reading books for fun than I ever did in school.
Mikhthr74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikhthr74.html

Post by Mikhthr74 »

I think reading takes you places and forces you to use your imagination, you can't get that out of a movie.
dbledeeas
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbledeeas.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dbledeeas »

I love to read because it is like an escape from life. If things are tough or so much going on, it's nice to take a break.
jenny1991
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenny1991.html

Post by jenny1991 »

I have loved to read for as long as I could remember. I think it started in childhood as a way to escape my parents constant fighting. I still read today as an escape especially at night so I can fall asleep without my mind racing. I love the feeling of being absorbed into the book, into another time, another place, etc. I get lost in the characters as they come to life in my mind. I also read to educate myself on topics I don't know a lot about.
karen evans talley
Currently Reading: Bone Dry
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karen evans talley »

Books take me to places I've never been and they enrich my life.
Cher+Pot
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Hollow
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cher-pot.html
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by Cher+Pot »

I LOVE reading! It is like taking a flying leap into another world and sharing in the characters' hardship :cry: , pain :( , love :oops: , enthusiasm :D and jealousy :mrgreen: .We get to escape our own lives, these feelings that we sometimes do not want to feel or even know about. A book lets us do just this and it teaches us that sometimes it is okay to switch off and escape.
If you don't like where you are, MOVE!
You are not a tree.
Latest Review: ""Tiekiedraai" in 31 days" by Roelof Beukes
Bengemann527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bengemann527.html

Post by Bengemann527 »

I love reading because it transports me to a different location and some times a different time period. I love to imagine what the characters look like.
Mertens_20

Post by Mertens_20 »

I have always loved to read, even through my college years where there was tons of required reading. I still found one of the best ways to spend an afternoon was curled up with a good book.

I like the way reading can bring me to another place and time completely, allowing my mind and heart to imagine the story playing out. This is also why book vs movie to me inevitably leans toward book. I have already played out the book and have my way "seeing" it take place.
of-the-fireheart
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by of-the-fireheart »

When I was younger, I was bullied a bit and my home life was a bit shaky. I didn't start to comprehend what I was reading until I was eight years old and after that I couldn't stop. Reading offered an escape for me from my school life and was a distraction from my home life. I liked learning different random facts and filling my head with a knowledge of different places and different people. Now reading isn't so much of an escape as it is going on adventure that I can pause (even though most of the time I don't want to).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”