Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bookwoman
Currently Reading: MASH
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwoman.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Bookwoman »

I love words. What better way to gather them than reading and even writing for that matter. Reading for me is a second nature. I love reading because it makes me a better person, it opens vistas of knowledge that no other medium can provide.
MidnightAngel16
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midnightangel16.html

Post by MidnightAngel16 »

Same as others- escape. I love losing myself in a new world created by a book and experiencing the lives of new characters or growing alongside a character in a series.
Annae
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annae.html

Post by Annae »

it disconnects me from the daily routine. also, it makes my mind flourish after every book i read.
rachelreads98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelreads98.html

Post by rachelreads98 »

I love reading because it gives me the chance to have experiences, meet people, understand situations and things that I would otherwise not have the chance to experience and know about first hand. It is so amazing to be able to learn about other places and syndromes and things that people go through in the mind of someone actually going through it. I love reading because it gives me the chance to know about things I would never get the chance to actually learn about in everyday life, and that is amazing to me. Also, the people. I meet so many great people in the books I read, which is sad because they are not real, but it gives me hope that someday I can meet someone as great as the fictional boys I read about.
riannaalexander

Post by riannaalexander »

Its takes you to a place away from reality.
rhondavonda

Post by rhondavonda »

Because I like to feel that some body else is feeling the same thing and thinking the same way and making the same deductions. It is a strange connection I have with certain authors. I also read to learn, challenge my beliefs, which is why I like to read meaningful books or very deranging books.
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

It depends on my mood. Reading is what I do instead of watching TV. I love to read. It is a fun getaway or a learning experience, sometimes both. Reading different kinds of books has made me much more empathetic towards others.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
lovelyladylinz

Post by lovelyladylinz »

To me, reading is an escape from reality. If I've had a stressful day, I love to go home and read a good book. One that will transport me into an alternate life. What can't life be like Harry Potter! :( :(:(:(
ktfrank04
Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass - Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktfrank04.html

Post by ktfrank04 »

Ah, both an easy and hard question to answer. I LOVE reading. Ever since I started free-reading for myself it has been the only constant passion in my life.
For me, reading is an escape. From life, people, the ordinary happenings of everyday.
It is a way to enter into a different time and place and experience things that will most likely never happen to you, EXTRAordinary things.
Not only that, but there are also those books that make you feel like you are not alone. They are able to portray your feelings, thoughts, etc in a way that you never thought possible. Or at all. A lot of the time we think we are the only ones to ever feel a certain way, or have had things happen in our lives that we do not talk about. When you read about someone else feeling/going through those same things you're like "YES! It's not just me! I could not have said it better myself and I am so glad there is someone else out there who understands".
Reading is so much more than I could justly describe. It is everything. <3
1destiny2014

Post by 1destiny2014 »

Personally, i like to escape my life and dive into a different world so i can gain a better perspective on life.
Nonfiction educates me and opens my mind to new possibilities which enriches my life or waists me time depending.
Fantasy sweeps me away from whatever is annoying or frustrating em so i can come back to reality refreshed.
Mystery adds spice to life and makes me consider how grateful my life is as in a trusted routine.
bovaird50A

Post by bovaird50A »

For the most part, it's escapism from some of the harsh realities of life like having to go to work when I would much rather stay at home like a lady of leisure! That sounds really lazy but it is honest! I love sitting in the peace and quiet away from the TV and the constant whine of "muuum." Now that makes me sound like a really bad mother! Not painting a very attractive picture of myself am I? If a book really engrosses me I loose all track of time and I do really step into that world of words. It's a wonderful place to be for short periods you can snatch out of your busy day. Who is to say you are wrong to do it?
cjmayes118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjmayes118.html

Post by cjmayes118 »

Reading allows the opportunity to learn as well as escape. Yet in the escape one usually learns as well. As I have gotten older, I have found myself more intrigued by books that offer new knowledge rather than fictional characters. But when my brain begins to be overwhelmed, I tend to seek out the books that can transport me to new places and people. Reading is the honoring of someone who put forth the effort to speak out.
britt1125
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt1125.html
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis

Post by britt1125 »

I read for more of an escape from reality, witch as everyone knows, sometimes suck. Book let me live in another world. Even if only for a short time.
Latest Review: "I am Ella. Buy me." by Joan Ellis
lorie8641

Post by lorie8641 »

I love reading because it takes me to my own little world for a while. If I'm really enjoying a book I'm always a little sad when it's over because it's like losing a friend.
Maddy_Knapp01
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddy-knapp01.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Maddy_Knapp01 »

I like reading because it takes me into another world and I can get away from mine for a little while and it's like a little vacation in the palm of your hand.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”