Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Leese09
Currently Reading: Misguided
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese09.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Leese09 »

I don't simply like to read... I love to read. I think I am actually addicted to reading. It is really about pleasure, total enjoyment and time away from the hectic lifestyle that we tend to live in. I seriously don't know what I would do if I did not read or could not read.
I have so many books that I wish to read that I wonder if I will ever get through them all in this lifetime!
Reba911
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 822
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reba911.html

Post by Reba911 »

I really like to read the fantasy/teen fiction genre. I have a wide variety of books that I love reading, but for the majority of it, I would have to say that teen fiction novels are my favorite. I love them because I have a teenage mindset, so it's really easy to put myself into the main character's shoes (so to speak) and understand where they're coming from. I love stories that aren't based on reality because I have a very active imagination and love to think outside the box. I love to think of the world as more than it really seems to be. So fantasy really makes me think about reality vs. fiction and how interesting things can be if you have the imagination to think it up.
etherealxadj
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etherealxadj.html

Post by etherealxadj »

It's a bit of an escape. You can get so caught up in a book and feel like time is still. It's until you finish the book that you kind of just sit there thinking.. like wow. What do I do now?
teres_major

Post by teres_major »

I like reading because (never thought of it before) because it is like an adventure, I get to learn of new things, new expressions, new ways to express myself and as a positive way to pass time
Lonewolf92
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lonewolf92.html

Post by Lonewolf92 »

Reading gives me the escape everyone looks for. A brief escape from reality, sometimes a long term escape if it's an outstanding boom and leaves a lasting impression.

I love psychological books that mess with your mind. You think this is going to happen but really this happens. I love the mind exercise it provides. I also enjoy dystopia novels because it provides a sense of survival. What would you do if this happened? Would you be prepared?

Reading in general is just eye opening.
ameno8907
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ameno8907.html

Post by ameno8907 »

To me reading is something to distract me from my every day life and explore a new world. I think it is most interesting to read books that are set in modern times because, to me, it feels more realistic. I deal with a lot of depression and anxiety and reading lets me take on the bravery of the main character and helps me to feel like I can take on anything thrown at me. If the main character can battle a dragon then I can have a heart to heart with my mother right?
Vanzee Girl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanzee-girl.html

Post by Vanzee Girl »

I love reading because I can be whomever I want to be. I can go wherever I want. I can have super powers, be immortal, I can visit other times and completely fictional places, walk in the shoes of historical characters, and fight dragons.
You get to go on a remarkable journey with the characters who are just as clueless as you are and whom you learn to love as friends. I've also always loved to see the characters grow and change according to their experiences.
Reading is all about experiencing new universes and giving you a different perspective on things. I always enjoy that.
Jacksragdoll

Post by Jacksragdoll »

I love to read because it gives me an escape out of the real world. Parts of my life are great, other....not so much. It also lets me into the minds of the authors. I love learning how people think. It's amazing what some people can come up with. I used to want to be an author, I unfortunately do not have the imagination for it, so I use other people's imaginations as an outlet.
sandra tomko
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-tomko.html

Post by sandra tomko »

There are numerous reasons that I love to read. I love going to places, in my mind, that I would have never gone without a good book. Also, reading has a tranquility nature about it. I, also, like keeping my brain on the go. You can never have too much knowledge.
SarahNewtown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahnewtown.html

Post by SarahNewtown »

It's been said before, but I'll say it again. I love to read because I can escape to another world. It's a different type of escape than with television shows or movies. With a good book, words on a page become pictures in my mind. I am not restricted to the images a movie forces into my brain. With a book, I can use the authors words as a guideline and allow my imagination to paint the most intriguing pictures of new worlds that I could never visit in real life. I don't have to rely on the imagination of animators or directors. I'm not saying I don't like movies because I do. I love movies. Books are just better :)
Karen Hope
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen-hope.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Karen Hope »

Why do I like to read? Well, there's several reasons. First, is what I hear most people say. I read to escape, to go somewhere that I'm not. Somewhere far away from the life I currently have to face on a daily basis. In books my trials cease to exist. Even if it is only an illusion. Even if it is only temporary. The fact remains that the escape is real. Next, I read to experience vicariously a life or circumstance I would not have been exposed to otherwise. Weather it be a love affair, a trip around the world, discovering the cure to a deadly disease, saving a child from an abusive home, being a firefighter in Chicago, or a nurse in LA, a prize fighter in Detroit, there are no limits to who I can be or what I can do in a book. The world is so much bigger with books. I like being a part of that world.

-- 30 Aug 2016, 21:37 --
Terily
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terily.html

Post by Terily »

Reading allows me to escape my troubled world and it relaxes me. I love to be able to be a part of another world that I know will keep me happy and living in the book with the characters and going through what they're going through. I also enjoy the quiet time I have to myself when reading.
Abdessalem KCHIRED

Post by Abdessalem KCHIRED »

I like reading to live more than one life, each book I read is like an other life I live.
hwong
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hwong.html
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson

Post by hwong »

It's just a great way to experience someone else's world and experiencing all the emotions they are feeling along with them. I have to say, I love tearjerkers. However, there's always excitement in mystery and action books.
Latest Review: "Blood Hunger" by Beck Robertson
cbrown004
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbrown004.html

Post by cbrown004 »

Simple it is an escape from the monotony of everyday life and I enjoy learning new things.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”