Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Muna
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Muna »

I read because words are food for the soul, without books I feel empty. Unfortunately non of my friends like reading, they're more into easier ways of entertainment, so I never really get to discuss books, or get any recommendations for good books. I'm grateful at least there's an online book forum where one can get advice on good books, discuss books they already read and stuff.
Reading fiction is an escape from reality, and a great way to inspect other humans, how they picture things, how they imagine things in a way different than you do.
Reading non-fiction opens up your eyes to things you may have let slip unnoticed, issues from the world you've never heard of, or taken real interest in...
It increases one's intellect, intelligence, and ability to argue/debate things more solidly. Reading is wonderful.
dbreeds

Post by dbreeds »

Reading is great for many reasons.

My main reasons are:

1) It serves as an escape from all the stress in life.
2) There is always something to learn about.
3) Reading always gives you something new to talk about with people.
ppilot

Post by ppilot »

...when the story begins to feel real. The best stories transport you to the places, sights and sounds.
Decodemymessage

Post by Decodemymessage »

I love reading because:

1) It gives me new knowledge

2) I can escape into their world and forget about mine

3) I win in scrabble! lol i need all the help i can get.

There are probably more but I can't think of them now. :D
iselin

Post by iselin »

Every day, all day I have all kind of stressful thoughts in my head, but when I read a book it calms me down and everything gets kind of quiet. A good book is almost meditative for me:)

iselin,
Electronic Cigar

Post by Electronic Cigar »

I like to read because they make me so happy. They take me to a place that I would not go without an amazing work of art.
breakingthehabit

Post by breakingthehabit »

I love reading because:
1. It adds new words to my vocabulary. I'm a non-english speaking background and i don't think i'm articulate enough. But, after reading several books, sometimes difficult or unusual words started popping out in general /casual conversation with my friends. Loving those moment :p
2. i feel smart when i read or carry books everywhere. I also feel smart when i see clutters of books in my tables. i feel smart, just by going into a library and can sense the smell of books, especially if they're old (i'm a bit wierd, i must admit)
3. like most people here, i like to escape sometimes. at times when i feel that life has been hard on me, i can pick up a sad-themed books, read about other ppl's misery and come out more cheerful and feel grateful cos my life is not as bad (admit it, sometimes you need to others to be more miserable than u)
3. It gives me perspectives in life. A variety of them. I can then analyse situation in life from many different angles.
hyukawa

Post by hyukawa »

i don't count science textbooks here (of which i read a lot for other reasons).
when i read fiction, i'm seeking to broaden my mind by considering things from a new point of view, understanding in a way that i can't by reading more mundane things like newspapers, magazines etc. occasionally, the reading is earth shattering, and changes the way i think forever. rare but nice to feel one's mind grow and change.
boracaypackages

Post by boracaypackages »

I like reading because of the some reasons:

By reading, we enjoy the dead; by conversation, the living; and by contemplation, ourselves. Reading enriches the memory; conversation polishes the wit; and contemplation improves the judgment. Of course, reading is the most important, as it furnishes both the others

Reading is a basic tool in the living of a good life.

NEED ASSISTANCE IN REGISTERING A COMPANY IN THE PHILIPPINES?
http://www.kittelsoncarpo.com/Register business philippines
(+632)856-7517
kristenlees

Post by kristenlees »

i couldnt have put it better myself.
sleepydumpling wrote:I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
Doug_Brunell

Post by Doug_Brunell »

I like it for the escape it provides. No matter what problems there are in the world or my life, I can pick up a book and disappear. Plus, any time I meet a woman who reads (one of the sexiest things a woman can do), I know I'll get along with her. When you meet someone who shares your love of reading, you always know you'll have something in common.
earthkid

Post by earthkid »

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
[/quote]

I sort of agree...I want to add that I love reading because I can learn so much...not only about other people's perspectives but also about words and generally about history. (History major...*nerd*) Fiction is the best ever, though, for the first reason! I love other worlds and getting into characters' lives. Good characters are a must!
timetogrow

Post by timetogrow »

Scott Hughes wrote:We all like reading. In fact, most of us would probably say that we love reading.

Why do you like it so much? What is it about reading that attracts you to it?

I think I like reading because it allows me to hear from people who have something important to say. You can read from the best thinkers no matter where they are or even when. I'm amazed by the fact that I can go to the book store and buy hours of reading material written by someone who lived hundreds or even thousands of years ago.

What about you?
Thanks for sharing this tipic. For me i read to learn english language. I am reading novels most of the time. I read almost everyday and there is almost not a single day that i don't read. Not reading makes me feel empty. Right now i am reading "the stand" by stephen king. I read his first novel "Carrie" and i like stephen king. I will read broadly in future, especially books relating to personal development and relationships or something like that. What do you guys on here prefer to read then? thanks
timetogrow

Post by timetogrow »

Doug_Brunell wrote:I like it for the escape it provides. No matter what problems there are in the world or my life, I can pick up a book and disappear. Plus, any time I meet a woman who reads (one of the sexiest things a woman can do), I know I'll get along with her. When you meet someone who shares your love of reading, you always know you'll have something in common.
True, i agree. I hope i can find my loved one who enjoys reading as much as i do. How great i will be to share our reading together!
philomara

Post by philomara »

awelker wrote:

I agree with Kath. I like reading because it allows me to escape the world that i am in now.
Reading can lead to knowledge and allow you to escape for a while.

Read a book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”