Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Re:

Post by CzechTigg »

tngwstlnd wrote:Part of I think is to see new perspectives, to live through fictional characters. Another part is just the whole escapism idea--other people's lives are so much more interesting than my own! :)

But I think the most fundamental reason is because, like all art, I like seeing what the human race is capable of when they aren't off killing people or arguing over trivial matters such as politics.

Yeah, I'm a pessimist. :D

The first two lines you put there, is absolutely what I think too. I am interesting IMHO but could be so much more like the heroes and villains..
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
cdnduffy98
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by cdnduffy98 »

I read books to expand my imagination and to relax and not rot my brain by watching tv all day :D
Nelfhaliz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelfhaliz.html

Post by Nelfhaliz »

I love reading because it allows me to leave wherever I am and feel connected to the characters to me each book is unique and allows me to learn something about the author the book and myself. It is not a hobby but a way to understand the world better.
thecheekybookworm

Post by thecheekybookworm »

Hello everyone!

I think this topic is great. I have gone through highs and lows with reading since I began reading at the standard age of 5. I first began reading consistently in 5th grade because there was a club that only certain people were allowed into based off of the accelerated reader points you incur. I was motivated to read because I wanted that special status and since I was a bit shy in school and didn't make too many friends I felt that this would boost my confidence enough to step out there. While it didn't really work I ended up really enjoying the books I was reading, I was pulled into the stories and could relate to the stories as well as believe in the abilities of the characters. Reading books about magic made me believe there was real magic out there, that I had a vampire boyfriend just waiting to save me, and a mission only I could complete because I was born special. It made me feel better about myself and gave me an outlet to get away from the bullying and abuse I received at home and school.

I continue to read even though my life has improved because I still get the mental relaxation and excitement from it that I still don't get through my everyday life. It's an escape and joy that I feel many overlook but then again reading isn't for everyone. Some like music and exercise for this release and while I try different ways to find outlets for stress I still use reading as my go to vice.
Kanne
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanne.html

Post by Kanne »

Well, I love reading as it transports me to a totally new world where I'll be living a different life... It makes me take on new roles, experience fear,excitement, anticipation and many more unexplainable feelings until I tear myself away from the book I'm reading...
Hmsmith06
Currently Reading: Inkheart
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmsmith06.html
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Hmsmith06 »

I like reading because it is an escape from life, it takes me into a new world where I can forget any worries or problems at least for a while. I also like reading non-fiction books because I learn from them and see the world from the perspective of the author, who may or may not share my viewpoints and opinions.
hunibea
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hunibea.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by hunibea »

I like reading because i love feeling I can see into how others think and see life. When I was younger I used reading as an escape route, somewhere to go that wasn't here. But now I like to use it to de-stress, to relax, and to be someone else for a change.
Jnicole11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnicole11.html

Post by Jnicole11 »

I LOVE reading because it provides an escape if it's raining outside or I'm just having a boring day. Reading allows me to excersize my imagination and helps me understand new concepts and ideas. Reading is my absolute favorite pastime.
makenna-16
Currently Reading: The Codex
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makenna-16.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by makenna-16 »

What I love about reading is that I can escape into a different world and "meet new people". When things get tough I can live someone else's life, if only for a little while. I love how the words on the page and the characters come to life and create pictures in my head. I love the feeling of finishing a good book and having to come back to reality. But most of all, reading is something that relaxes me from the stress of daily life. :)
HB28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hb28.html

Post by HB28 »

I like to read because obviously i love to read but also because it helps me escape the real world. While i am reading i am in my own little imaginery world with the characters of the book. I simply love that feeling.
Marni Edmonds
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marni-edmonds.html

Post by Marni Edmonds »

Reading... what's not to like? In a world as dysfunctional as ours, who wouldn't want to escape somewhere where you can be anyone and do anything with no consequences or fear? I read for the same reason I act - to escape.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I like to read for the adventures that come with being immersed in a book. And also for the feeling of being connected to other people whether its from someone in the past or discussing something current with friends.
MaryLisboa
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Eragon</a>
Currently Reading: Evil Under the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylisboa.html
Reading Device: B00CFV45KS
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by MaryLisboa »

sleepydumpling wrote:I read for two reasons...

1) To escape. I love being transported to another time or place. I love that feeling of seeing or doing or experiencing something different.

2) To see things from a different perspective. I love a book that makes me think and shows me things from other people's perspectives.
Both reasons plus doing things that I can't and going to places that I can only see in my dreams... And in a book.
ginamccullough
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginamccullough.html

Post by ginamccullough »

reading allows you to live lives you wouldn't normally get to in the real world!
JamiexLynn
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamiexlynn.html

Post by JamiexLynn »

The thing I love most about reading is the ability to transport to a whole new world anytime that I want. When reading a good book, I get lost and their world becomes my world. And sometimes it challenges me by forcing me to see things in a way that I normally wouldn't see them, and I think it helps to teach me to be open minded in a way that I may not be if I hadn't lived so many different lives through the pages of books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”