Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ammonia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=25016">I heart Vegas</a>
Currently Reading: Paws and Jaws
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ammonia.html

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Ammonia »

There are a number of reasons why I like reading. Sometimes it's simply because I need to escape my everyday life and forget about my surroundings or the stuff going through my head. I read not only on bad days, but also on good ones when I don't need to escape. I also read when I need some magic and miracles - which is when I pick up a good fantasy book. That also doesn't have to be related to having a bad day.

In general, I like the kick I get out of reading (not only books, of course). I learn new interesting things, I practice and improve my language skills, I explore new territories and get the chance to relive a variety of emotions through different characters - all of this and so much more without the need to leave my home.
Words3
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Words3 »

I love to read because it helps me escape from real life problems and takes me on a journey out of this world.
syuk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-syuk.html

Post by syuk »

Books are a passageway into another world. Readers live a thousand lives before they die. Non-readers live only one. I like reading because that is the only time I can put all my problems aside and step into another world with new people, surrounding and environment. Through reading, I have explored many places and learned many things that I never would have if I say, played games instead. When I read I don't even hear my name being called. I'm that obsessed.
moninis911

Post by moninis911 »

I read to escape my crazy reality! I have way too much going on and reading helps me stop thinking about it and calms me down alot
rachel_tan
Currently Reading: Mastering Practical Criticism
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-tan.html

Post by rachel_tan »

I adore reading because through it, it takes me places I've never been before and it also entertains me. In addition, I get to learn things from people in different continents and makes learning a much cheaper affair. It's a lovely thing. I have many friends who love travelling, I on the other hand, take the money I'd otherwise spend on travelling and invest them in books. It's a very worthwhile investment I reckon. :)
RMarks2015
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rmarks2015.html

Post by RMarks2015 »

I agree with other posters, my first thought when i read this was escape, that feeling that you are living in another world or life. Beyond this knowledge and inspiration are also important factors in why I read, i feel like every book helps me grow and evolve and changes my perspective just a little each time.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

readingaddict wrote:I like reading because it is a way to escape. I always remember a line from Matlida (Roald Dahl) that says:
'She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Ruyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.'
It is extremely true!

And not to mention that the pen is mightier than the sword.
I 100% feel the same way. There is nothing like getting lost in another world through an author's eyes. I love seeing how authors interpret things. It helps relax me after a stressful day or week. It refreshes my mind. There is a sense of connection with the author through their words.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
amandacwestbrook
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandacwestbrook.html

Post by amandacwestbrook »

I had an established foundation for reading ever since I was three years old. It was something I enjoyed doing by myself and with my family. I grew up with heightened social skills, I feel, from reading so many different lives. It developed into quite a hobby. Whenever I could, I would ask to be taken to the library or to the bookstore.
To this day, I admit I do not have as much time as I would like to actively read all day, but in my downtime, I always try to continue my way through a book. It's always such a sweet endeavor.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

I like reading because... well..

The sort answer would be that it's an addiction. Books are my heroin. Having said this, it's really cool that there's no rehab for bibliophiles.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Nabilah_reads01
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nabilah-reads01.html

Post by Nabilah_reads01 »

Reading for me is a means of discovering new worlds. It also brings me a sense of comfort and quiet. I also just love language and the way a really good author can open up your imagination in ways you never thought possible. I enjoy going through the story with the characters, or if it's a non fiction book learning new things I didn't know before.
roxy262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxy262.html

Post by roxy262 »

I love reading because its a way of learning about life, culture, history, basically anything. It gives me new perspectives of how to see the world, how to treat other, even myself. It helps me escape when I'm in sorrow, it shows me the wonders we are capable of creating :) I just love reading.
missbookworm

Post by missbookworm »

I love reading because it allows me to go to another time and place without needing to leave the state. It's also relaxing, and it can calm me down if I'm upset.
constant_reader81
Currently Reading: Skeleton Crew
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constant-reader81.html

Post by constant_reader81 »

I like reading because it helps me to unwind and relax. I am a psychotherapist and I listen and discuss difficult topics with people on a daily basis. It is nice to have some time to myself and reflect on characters without having to give them guidance or feedback. I am an introvert by nature and I am able to recharge by spending time alone. Reading is the main thing I enjoy doing when I am alone.
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Post by j_brower »

The list runs long, but I like to read mainly to learn something but feel like it is fun not dull.
Mandie3983
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandie3983.html

Post by Mandie3983 »

I like reading because you get to escape into a completely different world where anything is possibly. That sounds cheesy, I know. :oops: But I love the feeling of becoming someone completely different and escaping from reality for a little while.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”