Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amber the bookworm
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-the-bookworm.html

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Amber the bookworm »

I think the thing that I love the most about reading is that you can lose yourself in whatever you are reading. This means you can choose what kind of life you want to live for the day. :)
CHANDANA13
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandana13.html

Post by CHANDANA13 »

I like reading it takes me into the imaginary world ...where I place myself in the character...its good way to relax .
Lesley+Ann
Currently Reading: Catching Fire
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesley-ann.html

Post by Lesley+Ann »

I mostly enjoy psychological thrillers, the fear factor to me in most of these books can be quite real if you have an active enough imagination. I also am in awe of how good authors can translate non-verbal cues into words ... most of us tend to miss these face to face, so depicting them in a way that conveys the same subliminal message without actually saying it directly to me is an amazing talent.
DeeDeey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deedeey.html

Post by DeeDeey »

I read for:
1. educational purposes
2. entertainment and excitement
3. enlightenment and empowerment
4. encouragement
5. escape
:D
myamjohnson

Post by myamjohnson »

I LOVE reading because it is amazing how you can turn a page and your in a whole other world. I also LOVE reading because how it makes me feel. Especially the books that can make me laugh and cry at the same time and make me feel good about myself. Reading is something I find very peaceful.
Phillymom80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2970">The Cuckoo's Calling</a>
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phillymom80.html

Post by Phillymom80 »

When I think about it I can give one reason why it is that I like to read, ever since was a young girl I just enjoyed it. I guess it's my way of relaxing, I have noticed that when i read i can literally tune out everything around me, I guess it's my way of quieting the noise and chaos even if for a few moments. Also I love to learn new things.
yett23

Post by yett23 »

I love reading because it opens up an entirely new world, new perspectives, and new characters. The learning experience derived from reading is bottomless. It transports you into a different scenario and challenges your mind. It triggers a flow of thoughts and reactions. After reading a particularly inspiring book, you feel envigorated and enriched, especially when you feel a connection with the character in the story.
bettyk
Currently Reading: Obsessed
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettyk.html

Post by bettyk »

I also like to read to escape. It calms me down when I'm stressed out.
cruiz1992
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cruiz1992.html

Post by cruiz1992 »

I like reading because it takes me to places that I would otherwise not be able to go. You get to live many lives through the eyes and experiences of the protagonists. you get to have thousands of friends who go throough the journey with you. You hate the bad people in the books because of what they do to the main character, and when you close the book you don't have the same problems. I could be having a bad day, and when I open a book, the protagonist is getting everything they ever wanted, which feels neat, and makes you forget about your sucky day.
steinhm
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steinhm.html
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan

Post by steinhm »

I think all of my reasons have already been stated here but I just wanted to agree with you all! I think my main reasons for why I love reading is that it can take anywhere to any time period and totally transport me there. I get to know the characters like they're my friends and it feels like the whole world is at your fingertips.

I especially love historical novels or WWII-themed books because I love being in the heads of people from that era and really trying to understand what they went through and sharing in their pain and joy as well.

I love how I can pass all the time in the world reading too, it's great to be able to do that.
Latest Review: "The Mysterious Bakery On Rue De Paris" by Evie Gaughan
Joen143
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Joen143 »

Aw. Every member already stated my reasons of reading. :)

. To escape from all the frustrations in this real world.
. To discover another world. My mother and brother doesn't understand me why I'm always reading. I maybe a couch potato compared to them who loves to stroll around the city. I just said to them that I have been to many countries through reading. I've learned and understand many cultures through reading.
. To empathize with other people. For example, I can't understand people who use their body to get money that'll only last for a week. Paulo Coelho's Eleven Minutes let me see what a person's in that job is thinking. I trust the author with the research so I believe that her aims and stories of why did she became that kind of worker is the same with reality.
. To keep my mind busy. It's better to think many things than to just stare the wall. :lol:
. To be inspired. Not only to learn knowledge but also to gain wisdom.
SatsukiNoKimi
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by SatsukiNoKimi »

I love reading because you get to live another life. I have a movie playing inside my head, I feel like I'm actually there. It's a good past time.
harleyqgrayson
Currently Reading: The Original Folk & Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyqgrayson.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by harleyqgrayson »

The reason why I like to read is: It takes me away from all of the problems of the world today. It also lets me connect with the character like they are real people.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
kimberlyrav

Post by kimberlyrav »

I enjoy reading mostly as an escape. Sometimes my circumstances require my mind be elsewhere and a good book does that nicely. Not only that but I am addicted to books on the whole. I enjoy reading before bed, I feel I can get into a book that way when its quiet, calm, nothings going one. Just me and the book. I love certain settings, engaging characters, mysterious situations, murder and mayhem, intrigue and how it all plays out. Reading also has improved my vocabulary. I wish my daughter would love to read as much as I, unfortunately she has to be dared to crack a cover. :?
cvreader
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvreader.html

Post by cvreader »

I like reading because it allows you to enter a world that someone else creates. What's interesting about it is that the reader may imagine something completely different than the author intended based on the reader's life experiences and knowledge. I love the community that reading creates. Online forums are especially interesting because you can share a similar experience (reading a great book!) with someone across the globe.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”