What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sufi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Sufi »

"Awaiting the Golden Age" - 4.5/5

Beautifully packed, beautiful artistic paintings and presentation of the book. Valuable information for self-help book with exercises. Why not 5 out of 5 :) well nothing is perfect.
JOQuantaman
Currently Reading: The Devil Take Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JOQuantaman »

I've just read a wonderful detective-crime thriller...
# "King Peso" by Carmen Amato is a topnotch detective mystery. It is a stand-alone classic. By that I mean the narrative unfolds from the detective's point of view. The reader is given no more, no less information than the protagonist who is Emilia Cruz, the first female detective in Acapulco's police force.
# I can say "King Peso" is a stand-alone because I've read the 1st-three eBooks of Detective Cruz: Cliff Diver, Hat Dance, Diablo Nights. Some years ago I found "Cliff Diver" an impressive debut, both as an engaging mystery and as a biting satire of the social quagmire that exists in Mexico. I'd forgotten many details of the plot and characters, but I had no trouble catching the drift in 4th-novel. With "King Peso" Carman Amato exhibits unparalleled command of the genre. The character of Emilia Cruz has come of age. She has fought her way through a male-dominated profession to gain respect from friends and foes alike. She has remained true to her ideals in the pursuit of justice. Her personal life is becoming more stabilized. All of which leaves her more time and energy to investigate crimes and pursue criminals.
# As readers should know, Mexico has a small upper class of high rollers and masses of disenfranchised poor. The disparity harkens back to the age of discovery when Spanish conquerors became overlords to the aboriginals who provided the slave labor for silver mines and cattle ranches. More recently, the NAFTA trade deal has exasperated the income disparity as financial sharks from the north partner with Mexican aristocrats to launch factories powered by cheap labor. As well, Mexico is a convenient tourist destination for well-to-do foreigners wishing to escape frigid winters. So contemporary Acapulco is a wry mixture of hedonistic luxury and tragic poverty. You'll see resplendent resorts for wealthy tourists alongside neighborhoods without electricity or clean water.
# Couple the above with a corrupt government where image and political correctness count way more than providing basic services. The rare government officer who tries to do an honest job is targeted for assassination by the drug cartels. Emilia Cruz has to almost topple the whole house of cards before she can get the corrupt bureaucracy to function as it should.
# Emilia Cruz is an iconic character. Having grown up in poverty and having to care for an "absent minded" mother, Emilia has fought very hard to become a topnotch detective. Kurt, her boyfriend, is the manager of a five-star luxury resort. He competes at Triathlon competitions. Yet most of Emilia's friends are from the poor neighborhoods where she grew up. She is the poster face of Acapulco as well as champion of the poor and downtrodden. She keeps a personal file of missing women who are routinely ignored by the established law enforcement. She sticks her nose into areas that are bound to rouse drug lords to order her snuffed. She must keep her eyes on the rearview mirror at all times.
# "King Peso" is a 5-star mystery and a brilliant satire on the corrupt government officials. And don't think it only happens in Mexico. Government waste is endemic in both Canada and USA. :)
Ledford
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ledford.html

Post by Ledford »

The last books I read were October Sky (Rocket Boys) and Sky of Stone by Homer Hickam. I loved them! The first one especially was well written and totally inspiring. I thoroughly enjoyed Hickam's writing style in October Sky and the fact that this was a true story gives the feeling that anything is possible! I recommend theses books to anyone who loves to read!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Ways to Live Forever by Sally Nicholls
All kids go through the endless questioning phase but for John and his friend the endless questions of What's it like to die?, How do you know you're dead? have a more poignant impact when you realise that both boys are terminally ill. But in the midst of this awfullness there is laughter and it is impossible not to laugh at the adventures of both boys as they try to escapt the nurses and doctors.
I cried buckets reading this but I still liked it and it raises some interesting questions to ponder.
It's a short book and a quick read and I give it 3/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently finished re-reading A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. It is one of my all-time favorite reads. A definite 4/4 star rating!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
JOQuantaman
Currently Reading: The Devil Take Tomorrow
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by JOQuantaman »

My last eBook that I read: "Dark Forest" by Cixin Liu. This is fabulous Hard Sci-Fi, a masterpiece. Ten-plus Stars. No fifteen.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I just finished reading Dust by Patricia Cornwell. I give it 5/5.
The plot was original for a crime series. Patricia manages her many characters expertly, along with having a very fluid writing style. I must say that the many descriptive segments on the medical aspects did bog me down a little, but at the same time I still find it informative and fascinating.
It is clear that the author puts a lot of thought and research into her work.
It had been a while since I had read anything in her Kay Scarpetta series. It was like taking a vacation with an old friend.
Lyssarae10

Post by Lyssarae10 »

The last book I read was Really Bad Girls Of The Bible by Liz Curtis Higgs. It was a great book that I really connected with. I felt that I learned a lot. She put a lot into perspective fore me.
rossalfred

Post by rossalfred »

Lately I have study some oldies - "Vanity Fair" Thackeray. I have been re-reading it. I think my indicate is 3 out of 5. Not much, but there are factors there that I really like.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman 2/4 stars.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
proudbookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudbookworm.html

Post by proudbookworm »

I just finished The Bone People by Keri Hulme. I gave it 3 stars because it was well written, but at the same I found it to be really boring and I had a hard time caring for any of the characters. Also the dialogue often got kind of confusing. But still, some parts caught my interest and that is why I gave it 3 stars instead of 2.
Ripley3131
Favorite Author: S.E. Sasaki
Currently Reading: reunion in death
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ripley3131.html
fav_author_id: 21099

Post by Ripley3131 »

I just finished Stephen King's The Dark Tower book one in the Gunslinger series. I had read this one years ago before he had written any more books for the series. Now that he has completed the series I wanted to read the first book again so that it was fresh in my mind as I continued the series. Loved it. 5/5 in my opinion.
carol_klavon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Goddess</a>
Currently Reading: The Future Has An Ancient Heart
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by carol_klavon »

The Outsiders, 50th Anniversary edition (on Kindle). I highly recommend it...even if you've read it before--read it again.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The Rules by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie and I rated it a 3 out of 4.
My full thoughts can be found here.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DP-91

Post by DP-91 »

I just finished reading 'The Turning Point' by Freya North, a romance about a children's writer who lives in Norfolk and falls in love with a musician from Canada and they must try and handle the long distance relationship.

I did enjoy this overall - the strength was in the characters and the writing, there was a lot of depth and attention to detail with each character. I thought it was well written even though the plot itself was quite straightforward. I did guess the twist in the story, but it still didn't stop my enjoyment. I'd give it a 3 out of 5.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”