What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
awelker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awelker »

Sanders wrote:Winnie The Pooh & The House at Pooh Corner by A.A.Milne.
5/5, even though I'm 16, I can never get enough of that silly old bear, and, as corny or stupid as it sounds, the ending always made me feel a little teary-eyed (call me a sentimental fool or a crybaby, I don't care).
I'm 21 and still in love with Pooh bear. So much in fact im getting the honey bee tattooed on me.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

Bardelys the Magnificent by Rafael Sabatini 3.5/5

It was a fine ride! I recommend it to anyone who likes tales of swashbuckling chivalry.
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

"Pirate Latitudes" - Michael Crichton. Apparently a full manuscript was found of this book after the author's death. I found it to be only an average read. It is a really short book and I think it tried to cram to much into it. I would give it 3/5.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima ... the last one of the series. I'd give it a 4/5. It's below my reading level so the book had little to offer in tems of richness of language. The word "totally" was over used. Still, I liked the story and the characters. But I think the first one, The Warrior Heir will forever be my favorite out of that series.
Last edited by Syrcco44 on 06 Jan 2010, 11:23, edited 2 times in total.
morebooks4me

Post by morebooks4me »

I just finished The Gazebo by Emily Grayson. It was really good. I even cried a little at the end.
poomlie

Post by poomlie »

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. I would give it a 3.5 out of 5.
Syrcco44

Post by Syrcco44 »

^^ Hmm, I thought about reading that book. I just liked the title and the cover, though. Didn't find the summary too interesting. I don't think I ever will read it.

Just finished On Agate Hill by Lee Smith. I think I'd give it a 4/5, maybe a 4.5/5. Glad I read it.
Ammo0310

Post by Ammo0310 »

15 days to a beautiful life
by Joseph Anthony
5 starts probably the best law of attraction book I have ever read :D
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

Ammo0310 wrote:15 days to a beautiful life
by Joseph Anthony
The title is intriguing. Can you tell me more about the book? What it is about and what you liked most about it?
Ammo0310

Post by Ammo0310 »

book_reader wrote:
Ammo0310 wrote:15 days to a beautiful life
by Joseph Anthony
The title is intriguing. Can you tell me more about the book? What it is about and what you liked most about it?
Its a law of attraction book, learning how to create wealth, health and happiness. It has a very good description of the law of attraction , what it actually is and how it works. He goes into alot of stuff and really makes you think, then there is 15 days of LOA type of workshops one you do each day and write in the book like a journal. It really helped me get the whole manifesting thing down pat. He also really gets into the divinity of each and every person on this planet, respect for all religions and the universal connection we all have. I really loved this book, it changed my life.

Its gets a little crazy at times because the workshops have you create things and you dont even realize that your doing it and all of a sudden the thing you were imaginng just pops up. Insane, I had that happen a bunch of times during the 15 days.

I read the secret and alot of Dr. Dyers stuff and this really connected the dots for me. I picked it up on amazon for like 5 bucks on kindle and then I got it on paperback to share with my friends. Its my second time through the book now.. I loved it... Check it out its worth the 5 bucks.. I know Amazon has it.
magemanda

Post by magemanda »

I just finished Blood Debt by Tanya Huff and would give it 3 and a half out of five (full review can be found on my blog - the link of which I'm not allowed to post yet, but I think I popped it in my signature :D )

Edit - okay, not allowed to post it there either! (I promise I'm genuine and just want to chat about books :oops: )
harrisdy11378

Post by harrisdy11378 »

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

It's a great book and enjoyable to read but he contradicts his previous books so I guess that turns down the hype.
Syrcco44

Post by Syrcco44 »

Well, it seems that I have neglected a lot of books on my shelf for too long, as a lot of them are quite below my reading level. Still, I read them for a fun, quick read. And you never know what may spark some inspiration in my own writing. So, yes, I read them.

Just finished Atherton: The House of Power by Patrick Carman. Yeah, definitely a kid's book. And because of that, I thought everything would be wrapped up in the end, but no. It just left you hanging there. It was pretty much as excruciating as Pirates 2 (Dead Man's Chest). -_- Wow, really?!? So, I guess I'll have to find the sequel if I want to find out the end. Except I'm not into the whole mad scientist vibe... *shrugs* It's good, though, to read a variety of books.

For a kid's book I'd give it a 4.5/5. Maybe 4, but then again I don't know the ending of the story.
jemado
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemado.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by jemado »

I just finished "The Face on the Milk Carton" by Caroline B. Cooney. It had been sitting on my shelf for half a dozen years, so I finally decided to read it. It was a really great young adult novel and I'm looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Syrcco44

Post by Syrcco44 »

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

5/5 Much enjoyed! Read it aloud with my little sister. It's an excellent children's book. Definitely reading this to my kids if I have any. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”