What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Geneen Karstens
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Geneen Karstens »

Close Your Eyes Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian. I couldn't put this book down..not very long..only 266 pages, but what a story he can weave in that space. It is about a nuclear plant meltdown in Vermont. Emily Shepard's mother and father work there. Her father in charge of the plant and both her mother and father are killed. Everyone is blaming her father, claiming he was probably drunk at the time. Emily has no other family. She runs off because she's afraid people are looking for her to testify against her parents. She runs away to Burlington, surviving by stealing and various other means. It is a scary, dark, emotional book. Highly recommended. 5/5
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I rate it a 4 out of 5. I really enjoyed this book and it's characters. It was fun to read along with the corresponding pictures.

"A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of very curious photographs."
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I just finished the Book Thief by Markus Zusak recently. I give it 5 of 5 - an absolutely gripping story. And the narrative was very unique and interesting too.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Ashh2014

Post by Ashh2014 »

The last book I read was Where She Went by Gayle Forman. It's the sequel to If I Stay, and it's amazing! <<33
denisova04
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denisova04.html

Post by denisova04 »

ylisa7 wrote:
That was a cute book :)
It was exactly that - a very cute book :)
Kwrg

Post by Kwrg »

The last book I read was The Shock of The Fall by Nathan Filer. This book gave real meaning to the saying 'Never judge a book by it's cover', it's contents were really unexpected and I was happily shocked with what I read. I've so far recommended this book to 4 of my friends/colleagues and each of them have said how they didn't expect what was coming. I would happily give this book a 4.5/5 as it kept my interest throughout without giving anything away too soon.
SusanR
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanr.html

Post by SusanR »

Just finished Mean Streak by Sandra Brown. It was a good book with a lot of twists and turns but not her best book. I would give it a four out of five.
koreancat
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koreancat.html

Post by koreancat »

Just finished reading The book of Dead Days by Marcus Sedwick. I really enjoyed the book though the format was pretty different. The chapters were sometimes only 3 pages long, 6 at the very most. However there were a decent amount of chapters per section, it went by each new day. It was thrilling and kept me wanting more. There's a sequel to it and I can't wait to get my hands on it!
masterg

Post by masterg »

Scarlett. Book 2 in The Lunar Chronicals series.
I give it a 4/5. It's really good but now all the way at the top.
The 3rd book "Cress" is better. So far a 4.5/5.
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

When The Sleeper Wakes by H.G.Wells I'd give it a 2/5. Fun to see what the author thought the future would bring but the racist comments were very off putting for me. Same problem I've had with some of Heinlein's works and his portrayal of women.
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html

Post by RebekaV »

Alien by Alan Dean Foster. I'd give it 3/5. It was a fairly good book, not especially well-written, and much of the plot didn't take me by surprise, but it was still a good read. Some of the stuff was a bit too gross for me, but then I'm not a horror fan.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
dlynn83x

Post by dlynn83x »

I recently finished another great Jeanette Walls book, The Silver Star. I love her books! She is such a great story teller! ! I always fall in love (or despise) her character's. To me her style of writing digs into the heart of life. The love, loss, betrayel, friendship, ... It's all there. Can't wait for the next one!
ylisa7
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>

Post by ylisa7 »

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler. I gave it a 4 out of 5.

A forbidden love between a young black man and a white girl in 1939. It is told in the voice of the girl who is now 90. It shows how some things have changed in our world today but sadly not enough. I enjoyed the storyline even though it was heartbreaking.
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Today I finally finished The Thrill of it All by Joseph O'Connor
I absolutely loved all Joseph O'Connor earlier books but this one just did not do it for me, in fact I found it quite an effort to get through it. To enjoy this book I think you would have to be into your music & be interested in the machinations of a pop/rock band and all the convolutions of start up, break up, reforming etc aswell as the rock & roll lifestyle and it just doesn't interest me.
That said, I can appreciate that the book is beautifully written and I particularly liked the character of Jimmy but overall just not my kind of book. I'd give it a 1/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
ylisa7

Post by ylisa7 »

Fran wrote:Daddy Love by Joyce Carol Oates
A truly gripping read .. definitely gets 5*

Thank you Fran for your review. I finished reading it last night. I agree….5 out of 5.

This was an excellent book. It was a gripping and intense novel that flowed very swiftly. Thankfully it was not overly graphic. It's a story of an outgoing smart five year old boy who is kidnapped in a mall parking lot from his mother. The boy is with his captor, Daddy Love for 6 years. It tells what happens to the parents left behind and some of what goes on in the boy's mind and his life.

-- 04 Sep 2014, 07:03 --

The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I gave it a 4 out of 5. It is about a girl who gores up in the foster system and she is mentally broken. At age 10 one woman takes her in and teaches her the meanings for each flowers. That doesn't last but what she learned does. As an adult she is still broken but becomes a sought after flower arranger for their meaning.
Oscar Wilde

理沙

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”