What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by sahmoun2778 »

Starting to Frame: A Memoir by Roger Gordon
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
pagenumber394
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Shatter Me, I gave that one a 3.5 out of 5 stars. The concept was great, parts of the story were super exciting. However, the romance was super unecessary, and mostly just irritating.
Neyra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neyra.html

Post by Neyra »

The Blackwell Family Secret: The Guardians of Sin - Jonathan L. Ferrara
Rating: 4/4
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I listened to an audio of Sleep No More, the story was Marius, it didnt say who the author was. About astral projection and a horrible mistake. Good dramatic reading by Nelson Olmstead and scary background music.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
FallenFaith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fallenfaith.html

Post by FallenFaith »

The last "book' I read was "Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne by Grant Morrison" (2 stars out of 5) but if that doesn't count and an actual NOVEL is what is expected then that would be "Juncture" by Ken McAlpine (3 stars out of 5).
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I listened to The Waxwork by A.M. Burrage. A psychological horror story about a man who spends the night in a wax museum of murderers. Guess what happens to him. Gripping reading by Nelson Olmstead.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes 4/5
It was very well-written and absorbing. The characters were so well-drawn that I really felt I knew them. I didn't love the ending, but still loved the book overall.
insomniacwithbooks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniacwithbooks.html

Post by insomniacwithbooks »

The last book I read was The Slickers by L. Ron Hubbard and my rating is a one star out of five. It just wasn't good Pulp Fiction.
hareid03
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hareid03.html

Post by hareid03 »

I just finished The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken and I really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Definitely 5/5 from me.
Gizemkuzu
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gizemkuzu.html

Post by Gizemkuzu »

The last book I read was Lord of the Flies by William Golding and I kind of love it 4/5
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I read an interesting story today. Twilight Zone. It was about a guy who died in his wifes arms and she tried to bring him back to life. She kissed and hugged him, everyone told her he was dead but she wouldnt listen She finally brought him back, but they were both different after that. Kind of a weird ending. It would have been a good Rod Serling plot. It was written in 1915.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín
Beautifully written and a superb and minutely observed study of bereavement. 4/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

The House by Karli Rush. An average haunted house story, not the best but not the worst. A girl and her boyfriend go into this old house and the boy disappears. The girl and her friends go through some scary stuff to find the guy. Definitley not Steven King or M.R. James. The writing is somewhat amatuerish and contrived, not much depth to the characters but it held my attention. OK I guess.
AaliyahNoelle

Post by AaliyahNoelle »

The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey- 3/5

The book was, overall, well written. However, the ending was missing the "bang" factor that contributes to a great story.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

A History of Loneliness by John Boyne
Odran Yates as a 17-year old boy enters Clonliffe College to study to be a priest of the RC Church. What follows that momentous decision, and indeed what motivated that decision, is at the core of this book. Odran befriends another boy, Tom Cardle, who will later morph into one of Irelands notorious paedophile priests.
In this book John Boyne superbly captures the Ireland of the 1950/60's, a country bordering on theocracy, where the hirearchy overtly and covertly controlled everybody and Lord help anyone who crossed them. This is the world that allowed and facilitated the corruption that we witnessed being exposed in the last 20 years.
This is an incredibly angry book and vividly reflects the anger and frustration of so many in Ireland as the litany of abuse cases seems at time to be overwhelming and the weaving and diving of the hirearchy and Rome as they tried to protect the institution regardless of the impact on victims.
The ending is powerful as Tom Cardle, released from prison, faces down Odran, "... the whole conspiracy that everyone talks about, the one that goes to the top of the Church, well it goes to the bottom of it too, to the nobodies like you, to the fella that never even had a parish of his own and hides away from the world, afraid to be spotted." Reading that line reminded me of the saying .. "evil prospers when good men remain silent."
This is a powerful, soulsearching and brilliantly executed book. Highly recommended. 4/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”