What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Gravy »

The Fire Children by Lauren Roy

Young Adult Fantasy about a girl who breaks the rules...and therefore has a chance to save the children of Mother Sun.

I actually love this book. There aren't enough stars offered. I love finding those rare books :D

Anyone who enjoys Colleen Houck's Tiger's series would probably enjoy this.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lies of Silence by Brian Moore
Set in Belfast prior to the Peace Process, a hotel manager and his wife are held hostage overnight & the following morning the husband is forced to drive his car loaded with a bomb to the hotel. How does he reconcile the likely deaths of numerous innocent people if he delivers the bomb and the threat to his wife if he tells the police. Allied to this is the couples already deteriorating personal relationship and the conflict between their individual views of Northern Ireland society and the political situation.
Thankfully we now have peace in Northern Ireland and it is easy to forget how different the country was and how commonplace events like those depicted in this book were.
I didn't particularly warm to or like any of the characters in this book but it was worth reading - 2/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Keith80
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2860">The Martian</a>
Currently Reading: The Gathering Storm
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith80.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Keith80 »

I just finished, for I think the 10th. time, C.S. Forester's "The Commodore". I am once more re-reading the 'Hornblower' series. I really enjoy these books, and rate them all as 4/4, so every few years I renew my friendship with these books, and they never disappoint me.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

World Without End by Ken Follett. Sorta-sequel to Pillars of the Earth. They should rename this: The Book Without End. I may be suffering from Follett Mega-Novel Burnout. Nevertheless, maybe 5/10 Just didn't compare with the first book. It had interesting moments but for the most part...bleah. By the end of the book I just wanted them ALL dead and was kind of hoping that Tony Montana (Scarface) would show up as a time travelller.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Temptation by Nicole Edwards I gave 3 stars too.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
maryble_
Favorite Author: Umberto Eco
Currently Reading: La lunga vita di Marianna Ucr&igrave;a
Bookshelf Size: 50
fav_author_id: 3190

Post by maryble_ »

Il garofano rosso by Elio Vittorini. 3/5

I really liked the style - so vivid and realistic - but, in my opinion, the story lacked of an end. It has left me without a theme to think about.
Griffey22
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-griffey22.html

Post by Griffey22 »

11/22/63 by Stephen King.
Another fantastic book by the great Stephen King.This book is not at all like the other books he has written,thats what drew me to it.I love History and anything to do with JFK so when i read the jacket and saw this it was about trying to stop his assassination by time travel i just had to buy it and boy was i right in doing so,it sucks you in and is expertly written.
Raven_Knight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B007T35O7U

Post by Raven_Knight »

I just read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and I would rate it a 7/10.

It is defining a dynamic dystopia/utopia (you be the judge of which) but it does get a tad confusing from character changes.
Dementia5
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dementia5.html

Post by Dementia5 »

Dragons at War (Dragonlance Dragons, Vol. 2) by Hickman and Weiss. Pleasantly surprised at how well written some of these short stories were, with a few refreshing twists at the end, which frankly defies the genre... at least today. This was written during the second golden age of modern fantasy, so there you have it. Will continue to read the rest of the series.
QueenPeng44
Currently Reading: Piece de Resistance
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queenpeng44.html
Latest Review: "Glimpses of Autobiography" by jt
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by QueenPeng44 »

The French Twist Series by Sandra Byrd. The adventures of Lexi, a young woman searching for her purpose in work, love, and her place in the grand scheme of life. This is a Christian book that is not too preachy, it focuses more on the character development and her exciting adventures. I rate this series a 5/5. Love this series.

-- 30 Aug 2015, 15:35 --

The French Twist Series by Sandra Byrd. The adventures of Lexi, a young woman searching for her purpose in work, love, and her place in the grand scheme of life. This is a Christian book that is not too preachy, it focuses more on the character development and her exciting adventures. I rate this series a 5/5. Love this series.
Latest Review: "Glimpses of Autobiography" by jt
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Ruby by Cynthia Bond - 3.5 / 4 Stars.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
Erick1853
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick1853.html

Post by Erick1853 »

The last book I read was "Sleeping Freshman never lie" I just fell in love with it. The overall rating I would give that masterpiece is a 10/10
Tris_Nook
Currently Reading: The Sin Eater's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Tris_Nook »

The latest book I just got done reading was Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire and I would rate it 3/4 stars because I forgot how long and drawn out this books was. My least favorite of the series I think.
decafmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-decafmama.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by decafmama »

I just finished I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and I highly recommend it for anyone who wants a view of the world from a non western standpoint. Malala is now one of my personal heroes and I admire her courage and determination and that of her family.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I'm Not Stiller by Max Frisch, I give it 3/5. It was very boring and I just kept reading it to finish it, not because I cared what would happen next! :sleeping-boring:
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”