What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
book_reader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by book_reader »

StephenKingman wrote:I have actually never read that book in my life, nor 1984! Two literary classics and i never read them, but i would like to fix that as soon as my next book is finished. Do both books still hold up in 2010 i wonder?
I have read Animal Farm, but not 1984. The former applies even today and from what I have heard about 1984, it is probably more relevant today.
31w30

Post by 31w30 »

I just finished reading A World Of Trouble by Patrick Tyler. A book about the US and the Middle East wars and polices dating back from W. Wilson through G.W. Bush. For me it was a 10/10 and was very hard to put down, the only drawback was the chapters were 50 to 60 pages long. I will most likely read this one again in the future.
tasman

Post by tasman »

Our company have offering brand shoes, fashionable apparels, designer handbags, watches, etc.If you are interested,please feel free to contact us. 8)
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I have just finished "The Winter Ghosts" - Kate Mosse. I really enjoyed it. I would give it 3.5 stars.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Just finished "Dark Fire" by C J Sansom and I give it a 10/10 score.
sjhaughty

Post by sjhaughty »

Woodland Nymph wrote:The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory 5/5

This book may have kick-started a new obsession with historical fiction.
I really liked that one, too. Margaret George is another great one for historic fiction.
dlboo

Post by dlboo »

Just finished Rules of Prey by John Sanford. I give it a 4/5. A suspenseful game of cat and mouse that will keep you on the edge of you seat. Quick read and very enjoyable.
cl2606

Post by cl2606 »

I just finished Doctor Zhivago. I'd give it a 2 - 3 out of 5. I thought the 2nd half of the book was more interesting and easier to follow than the 1st half. I definitely would like to have read this in a group/class setting to discuss it.

I do not feel I got the theme of the book. I probably should re-read it at sometime.
31w30

Post by 31w30 »

I just finished "The Plot To Kill The President" Organized crime assassined JFK by G. Robert Blakey and Richard N. Billings.

Excellent reading on the investigation of Jack Ruby and Lee Harvey Oswald from the their childhood to the day they died and beyond. Many many facts from US to Cuba to Russia from the FBI to the CIA to Organized Crime. A seperated investigation from the Warren Commission, many lies uncovered, many more facts revealed. Will read it again. I will give it a 10
aquamarine310
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by aquamarine310 »

I just finished reading Die For You by Lisa Unger.
Unger's style of writing is awesome. I truly enjoyed the book.
I give it 5/5 stars.
meganmarie_1

Post by meganmarie_1 »

The Ghost Map by Steven Johnson.

It's about a cholera outbreak in Victorian London. It describes the impact of the industrial revolution on London and it's sanitation systems (or lack thereof). It sounds like it would be boring but it's actually fascinating to read how people of that era were able to track the cause and spread of the disease.

7 out of 10
book_reader

Post by book_reader »

The Interpretation of Murder - Jed Rubenfield 6/10

It's a murder mystery with Sigmund Freud as one of the characters. The murder story is interwoven with Freud's actual visit to America. There are some real people featuring in the book and some fictional too. It involves a lot of psycho-analysis. The concept of mixing real and fiction, using real characters in the book is good, but the story itself gets complicated and messy in the end.
Brittany

Post by Brittany »

I just recently fineshed the Sookie Stackhouse series , by Charleen Harris. I would give the books a 5 out of 5. They are great read. I thought the main charecter was an awsome female lead.
DazzleKitty

Post by DazzleKitty »

Love in Bloom by Sheila Roberts

This is not a book I would have chosen for myself at the time. I actually forgot to bring the novel I was currently reading to work with me, and my superviser let me borrow it from her. During the slower hours, I started to read it so I had something to pass the time. I was very surprised to find it totally hooked me and I couldn't stop. I finished it in two workdays (I don't know if this is because we were so slow or I read too fast, LOL!).

It was really refreshing from what I had been reading lately and I was so surprised at how good it was. I intended to hunt down a copy for myself and perhaps pick up some of the author's other works.
gothique

Post by gothique »

Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke. 5 out of 5 stars.

I love culinary mysteries and was way into Diane Mott Davidson's books when I discovered Ms. Flukes's writing.

I have to say, DMD's character, Goldy Schulz, seems to have taken some steps backward in her development, doing things that seem way out of character for her. Because of that and the rushed feeling to the endings of the last three of her books, I'm sort of off those.
Flukes's character, Hannah Swensen by contrast, grows with each book and I'm enjoying those a lot more. Plus, the endings don't seem so tacked on at the last minute.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”