What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by ylisa7 »

Mambo In Chinatown by Jean Kwok. I gave it a 4 out of 5.

I really enjoyed this story about a naive 22 year old American born Chinese girl, Charlie, living in Chinatown with her very traditional father and her bright sister. Charlie is a bit awkward and never did well in school and many of her jobs because she has dyslexia which no one knew about. It starts off with her being a dishwasher at a restaurant where her father is a noodle maker. Charlie's sister brings home an ad for a receptionist at a dance studio for her to interview for. In a Cinderella type story Charlie's world is completely opened up to the world of dancing while still be trapped at home with the very traditional Chinese ways and medicines as her sister becomes sick.

I rooted for Charlie the whole time and wanted her to become that confident young woman in the end. It's a feel good story.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The Other Me by Suzanne van Rooyen

About a teenage girl who thinks she may be an alien, but comes to realize she's just in the wrong body.
4/4 for dealing with an issue, that's under-represented, in a unique and entertaining way.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
book_worm221
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by book_worm221 »

I read City of Bones. It was 4/5 stars. It's good when you want a stereotypical and good YA.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I just read Delirium, after seeing it mentioned all over the place for a while and finally finding it at the library.
4/4 stars, but also 4/5. Not incredible from my point of view, but the romance felt real and the dystopia was disturbing. The supporting character of Hana was also very well done, how she contrasted with Lena and helped her along her journey.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

bluejay__way wrote:The last book I read was Wuthering Heights and I didn't like it at all. I found myself being lost within my own cynicism of how it dulled in contrast to Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, considering that that was the novel I'd read before this one, and was tired by Nell's, the servant woman, retelling of the story. I understood, by the end, that practically the entire story was meant to be told through her eyes, but I still felt like it had no organic flow through. I thought it was too forced, like someone explaining a story, and couldn't enjoy the story enough to fall into its magic like I had with Jane Eyre and others.
I had to read that for my lit class back in high school. I hated every page of it and by the time I was done, I wanted to stick needles in my eyes. What an overblown piece of literature.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456

Post by ylisa7 »

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (Harold Fry #1) by Rachel Joyce. I gave it 3-4 out of 5.
This is about a man who is bored at retirement and has lived a very bland life. He receives a letter from an old friend whom he has lost touch with. She has cancer and he decides to have some faith and walk to her over for 87 days and over 600 miles to say goodbye. The story is about his journey, meeting different kinds of people and reflections on his life.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Lucid_Enigma
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucid-enigma.html

Post by Lucid_Enigma »

The last book I read was 'A little, aloud' edited by Angela Macmillan. It's an anthology with prose and poetry and is really good for reading on the go, especially if you're busy and just want a quick escape. It has a wide variety of content, so it fits any mood that you're in. I'd give it around 9/10 simply because the extracts from books made me yearn for more and there was no more to be read.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

The Rehearsal by Eleanor Catton and I would give it 2/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Jesska6029 »

The last book I read was One Kick by Chelsea Cain. I picked it up on a whim because I love her other novels. One Kick is easily a 4 to 5 star novel. The plot is easy to follow, and it never feels like there is a lull in the story. The protagonist is very likable, and her characteristics and attitude make is really easy to root for her. The novel does deal with some heavy themes, and it is not for the faint of heart.
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
Bookworm59

Post by Bookworm59 »

I just read Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger. I have never read any of his books before, but it is beautifully written and an emotional and intriguing story. I give it 4 stars and recommend it if you enjoy a quietly unfolding story that involves murder, but is focused more on the impact it has on the people around it.
anca
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anca.html

Post by anca »

Game of Thrones ,1st book

Although i have seen the movie and i knew what was going to happen, in each chapter i expected to see what's next; i have to admit that each time i wanted to change it's end; i am still having issue to accept the ending of some chapters; hoping to get the slightest chance to change something. Although i hate reading a book if i already know how it ends, i have enjoyed each and every page of Game of Thrones
Lovey325

Post by Lovey325 »

The last book I read was James Patterson's "When The Wind Blows". A really interesting book. I give it 4.5/5 stars.
Geneen Karstens

Post by Geneen Karstens »

The Innocent by David Baldacci...a thriller that's very good

Also The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. A story of three women unknown to each other but lives become intertwined. 5/5
Nelstern

Post by Nelstern »

The last book I read was the follow up to 'If I Stay' called 'Where She Went' by Gayle Forman. It is told in the perspective of the other important character, Adam, and talks about what happened in the 3 years that have passed since the first book. I enjoyed it, as like the first book makes you question life and death, if we control if we stay or go, and what would the consequences be if you stay or if you go surrounding your lived ones.
Innateray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innateray.html

Post by Innateray »

The most recent book that I read was Piper Kerman's Orange Is The New Black. I would definitely give it a 10/10. I couldn't put it down. The way that Piper describes her trials and tribulations as well as the relationships that she created was absolutely amazing. I would definitely recommend that everyone should read this.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”