What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
laughsnsmiles21
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughsnsmiles21.html

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by laughsnsmiles21 »

I just finished "The Silent Sister" by Diane Chamberlain, and I would give it a 4 out of 5. The book kept my interest throughout the whole book, but the ending was a little different than I expected. She is such a skilled writer and keeps your interest easily.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I reread Divergent recently, and I'd give it 3/5 stars.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I finished Not My Father's Son by Alan Cumming and loved it. A low four...but still a four.
For anyone who enjoys his acting...or just loves intriguing stories...I highly recommend it.
Personally, he's one of my favorite actors, and I could practically hear him telling me this tale of mystery.
He's led a very interesting (if at times heartbreaking) life.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
pstover07
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by pstover07 »

I just finished "Once in a Lifetime" by Danielle Steel. I give it at 2 out of 5 stars. The book was about a main character named Daphne. Barbara was another character in the book. She was a supporting character who was a friend of Daphne's. I felt that half way through the book the author focused a little too much on Barbara's life and Daphne disappeared from the story for awhile. I did not care for the amount of foul language that was used in the book. The storyline was good but because of the amount of bad language used I will avoid books like this in the future.
lilyantannous
Currently Reading: Knife of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyantannous.html

Post by lilyantannous »

blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson. 2 stars. Extremely weak and dissapointing romance novel
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

Death On The Nile by Agatha Christie, I give it 4/5! It was good, it had the Christie-unexpected-turn-of-events characteristic, but it wasn't as good as it is in some of her other works.
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I finished OLGA by Ted Kelsey and gave it 4 out of 4 stars.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456

Post by ylisa7 »

I just finished The Insanity Plea by Larry D. Thompson. I gave it a 5 out of 5.

I really enjoyed this psychological court room drama. It shows how hard it is to plead an insanity case in the US and how so many psychotic people fall through our legal cracks. Add in a doctor with his own agenda who is paid to throw the trial and don't forget about the serial killer who is on a rampage. The author could have used the word "sweetie" a little less often as it started to get to me. Other than that it was excellent and I will read more by this author.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin

This 750 page tome was my most satisfying and informative nonfiction read of the last ten years. The book describes the interworking of the Lincoln cabinet during his presidency as well as an exhaustive amount of detailed information about each of the cabinet members as well as Lincoln himself. I thought I was fairly well educated on this subject but I was greatly mistaken.

The book also provides a multitude of examples of how Lincoln's genius at controlling both his cabinet member's penchant for intransigence as well as the events around him helped to quell the chaos raining down upon his presidency.

STRONGLY recommended for anyone interested in the subjects of Lincoln, the American Civil War, or the workings of the mind of a true political genius. 5 of 5

This book was the inspiration for Steven Spielberg's movie, Lincoln.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

DATo wrote:Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln, by Doris Kearns Goodwin

This 750 page tome was my most satisfying and informative nonfiction read of the last ten years. The book describes the interworking of the Lincoln cabinet during his presidency as well as an exhaustive amount of detailed information about each of the cabinet members as well as Lincoln himself. I thought I was fairly well educated on this subject but I was greatly mistaken.

The book also provides a multitude of examples of how Lincoln's genius at controlling both his cabinet member's penchant for intransigence as well as the events around him helped to quell the chaos raining down upon his presidency.

STRONGLY recommended for anyone interested in the subjects of Lincoln, the American Civil War, or the workings of the mind of a true political genius. 5 of 5

This book was the inspiration for Steven Spielberg's movie, Lincoln.
Intriguing, thanks DATo. I'm putting this on my list now.
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
A legacy of shame and guilt blight the relationship of a mother and daughter as the mother (Anna) implements a policy of absolute refusal to discuss, in any way, her life in Weimar during the Nazi regime.
A fascinating insight into survivor guilt and the sacrifices people will make to protect their loved ones and the ways people will punish themselves for perceived guilt.
I found this book enthralling and gripping, though given the subject matter, there are no laughs in it.
I'd give it 3.5/4*
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Athenacr1
Bookshelf Size: 111

Post by Athenacr1 »

The last book I read was "Grey" by E.L. James. I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. If you've read the original Fifty Shades of Grey series you'll be missing out on the better story if you don't read Grey. E.L. James writes like an author and has improved her skills since the original series where I found it sounded like it could have been written by a 16 year old who failed English. Grey can be taken much more seriously and in turn even sexier despite being mostly the same story.
Jazmin17
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Darker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmin17.html

Post by Jazmin17 »

Last book I read was the 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. I give it 4 stars.

An interesting and inspeirational book. You do have to read the whole novel to understand the meaning so there are some chapters in the book that can drag on a little but once you finish it really comes together.
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Life Of An American Workman by Walter Chrysler. This one was a dandy it was the autobiography of Walter Chrysler. It was very interesting, well written and informative about the early days of the automobile industry. Parts of it he tends to blow his own horn, but mostly he gives credit to people he was associated with. He came from a working class family in a small town in Kansas where his father was an engineer on the railroad. Walter started as a janitor in the railroad shops and worked up from there. He worked for different railroads for several years then went into the automobile industry. In 1920 he was the head of the Buick co. with a salary of one million dollars a year. Thats not bad money even now. I really liked this one, it was fast moving, it held my interest to the last page. 5 out of 5.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Rene rude
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Rene rude »

I'm currently reading elements by Solomon Deep. It's a decent book about a guy who drops out of college and goes on a sort of adventure to find himself. It's interesting although I would say I can't relate to the character at all. In the beginning he is kid of a jerk. I mean his girlfriend was hysterical after a PLAIN crashed near her house and he just left her there. I so far I give it a 3/5 stars

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”