How Long Do You Give It?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: How Long Do You Give It?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I usually know within the first two to three chapters if I'll enjoy a book or not. That being said, I do make an effort to finish every book that I begin, although there have been a few that I found so offensive that I had to put them aside.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I decide after reading a couple of chapters. I wouldn't read a book if it hadn't been highly rated so I wouldn't be put in that situation, but sometimes there are books that are highly rated but that I consider too boring or difficult to understand. Throughout my life there are only two books that I haven't finished (and never will XD), the funny thing is that they both happened to be by Jane Austin! XD
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

I always try to get at least halfway through a book before I give up. The book has to be incredibly terrible for me to put down. I like to give the author the benefit of the doubt. There have been very few books I have never finished, and either the book was so awfully written with no plot or character development or was terribly offensive that I felt the need to not finish it.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
KWKLEIN
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwklein.html

Post by KWKLEIN »

Usually I decide right away, sometimes as early as the first page. Sometimes I do go a chapter or two. But I like to do my deciding at home. I take home and armload of books and put most of them in the bathroom. There, with no distractions, I decide which books will go right back to the library and which ones I'll keep out. Some stay stacked in by bathroom for weeks before I return them. Some I read a few pages at each sitting until I finish the book. And sometimes I have my notebook and pen handy to make a note of ideas I get or a gem I pick up in the pages that I want to keep or look up.

The thing is, though, it really helps me to get the books home before I make a final decision as to keep them for a while and read them or not. At the library, my brain can only decide as far as me taking it off the shelf or not. And the title, jacket flap, the blurb about the author, or the cover might entice me enough to put it in my book bag, but I seldom make the decision as to whether I will read it until I'm in the comfort of my own bathroom.
tnrose84
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tnrose84 »

If its boring, about 2 chapters. If it starts to really freak me out I have to quit on it but hate to do so.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I don't give a book very long, because I have focus issues and I get pretty peeved if it isn't happening. It's better for me to stick with familiar authors, although that seems to be no guarantee these days!

-- 23 Apr 2015, 00:57 --
KWKLEIN wrote: I take home an armload of books and put most of them in the bathroom. There, with no distractions, I decide which books will go right back to the library and which ones I'll keep out. Some stay stacked in by bathroom for weeks before I return them. .. but I seldom make the decision as to whether I will read it until I'm in the comfort of my own bathroom.
HA HA! Just don't tell the librarians. :shhh:
NLC[JRZ]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NLC[JRZ] »

Like numerous people said before, it really depends on the story. I read until I deem the book unfit to finish whether that be the first few pages or halfway through. I usually finish books that I intentionally sought out, but books that I happen to find are subject to be put down within the first few chapters. Of the books that I actually intended to read I've put down two, Linger (second installment of Shiver series by Maggie Sfnigyicantwriteabooktosavemylifesky), and The Book of Dave by Will Self. While Linger was just too boring and for the most part unimaginative as can be (I barely got through the first book), The Book of Dave's language just proved to be too much for my patience. It was not really English per say, it was written in a very broken way with a lot of slang. I found myself frequently referring to the glossary in the back of the book in order to attempt to comprehend every other word in one sentence. Maybe that says something about my patience or intellect, but good lord that was the most difficult read of my life and I only made it about 10 pages. My luck in selecting random books has been bad, so the number of trial books that never get the full read is at an all-time high. Someone please rescue my poor mind from terrible literature.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

NLC[JRZ] wrote:Like numerous people said before, it really depends on the story. I read until I deem the book unfit to finish whether that be the first few pages or halfway through. I usually finish books that I intentionally sought out, but books that I happen to find are subject to be put down within the first few chapters. Of the books that I actually intended to read I've put down two, Linger (second installment of Shiver series by Maggie Sfnigyicantwriteabooktosavemylifesky), and The Book of Dave by Will Self. While Linger was just too boring and for the most part unimaginative as can be (I barely got through the first book), The Book of Dave's language just proved to be too much for my patience. It was not really English per say, it was written in a very broken way with a lot of slang. I found myself frequently referring to the glossary in the back of the book in order to attempt to comprehend every other word in one sentence. Maybe that says something about my patience or intellect, but good lord that was the most difficult read of my life and I only made it about 10 pages. My luck in selecting random books has been bad, so the number of trial books that never get the full read is at an all-time high. Someone please rescue my poor mind from terrible literature.
I'm not familiar with the Book of Dave, but I tried to read Shiver and it put me to sleep. I hear ya!
dancing with hugo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancing-with-hugo.html

Post by dancing with hugo »

Most of the time, I'll struggle through even the most boring, tedious book. After all, if the author took the time and effort to create it, the least I can do is read ir once I've started it (Except for 50 Shades of Gray, that is). I don't have to like bad literature, but I feel that all reading sharpens my ability to recognize good writing. Perhaps that's naive of me, but after all, I still read all of Steven King's work even though I personally don't feel that he's written anything else on the level of Carrie or The Shining.
msmail12
Favorite Author: Allyson James
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmail12.html
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
fav_author_id: 8178

Post by msmail12 »

I definitely have a hard time calling it and saying that a book is a lost cause, particularly since I am not all that picky, and there has to be something seriously wrong with a book for me to get absolutely no enjoyment out of it. However, with the excess of books at my fingertips with eBooks, I am beginning to modify my view since it seems silly to read an OK book when there are so many great ones out there. If the author is one that I have read and liked before, then I will give them a solid 100 pages, but if it is an author that is new to me, particularly if they got bad reviews, then I will give them somewhere between 25 and 50 pages depending on how their mechanics are, character development, scenes, transitions, etc.
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Before I buy a book I will read the first few pages if not the first chapter before buying it. If it holds my attention, I'll buy it. Then after that I strive to finish it, I hate leaving a book unfinished. But normally if I am halfway and it is still too difficult I will skim the rest of the way.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

If I decide along the way that I don't like the book then I will give it around 100 pages before I give it up for good. Unless I'm really really not into it, then it doesn't matter too much.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Post by j_brower »

I typically read an entire book -whether good or bad- from start to finish because I think there is a chance for it to get better (or even better) before it ends. This has caused me to read some great books, and some awful books. Unless I can really tell from early on that a book has no potential I do not set a cut off point.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

I usually give it the first two chapters. However, there have been occasions I put it down after the first page.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

If i start a book i have to finish it.

Of course books i think are bad can take me months or years to finish.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”