Does a books cover influence you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Does a books cover influence you?

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

Almost always. I say always because sometimes, I do take a chance on a book with a "boring" cover. But most of the books I choose depend on the cover. And even so, I don't always look for a flashy cover, but just an overall good one that somehow fits the title of the book, draws my attention to the book, the description, and finally, to buying it. To me though, my personal specifications to a good cover changes with every book. Sometimes I'm looking for books with good artsy covers; sometimes it can be for a book with a simple cover like a sigul with nothing but black behind it.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
Candace_dj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-candace-dj.html

Post by Candace_dj »

Absolutlely! If it looks cheap I usually pass.
maroki13
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maroki13.html
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by maroki13 »

Yes, although the cover itself doesn't make the final decision about whether I read it or not. More often, it is the cover that draws my attention (as I'm scanning shelves) and then as I flip through the book, that helps me decide whether or not to read it.
Latest Review: "Whispers from the East" by Amie Ali
ashleeworsham
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleeworsham.html

Post by ashleeworsham »

for sure. I will always buy a book that looks appealing.
missbookworm

Post by missbookworm »

It definitely does influence me, though the title is what made me pick it up in the first place. If the cover looks fun, I tend to think it will be a fun read. Even if the cover doesn't have the greatest picture, I'll still read the back or inside cover to see what it's about. However, I will say that I usually turn the book over already forming an opinion based on the cover.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Probably but as it's subliminal so I wouldn't really know :doh:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bluemel4
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

Yes it does. I usually stay away from books with half naked men on the covers. I started noticing that some of my favorite guilty pleasure reading has some questionable covers. I probably would never have picked the books up if I decided on the cover alone. I guess I need to rethink how much a book cover has power over my decision making.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

Totally!!! If it looks interesting I am more likely to give it a try!!!
inlovewithbooks
Currently Reading: Corey to the Rescue!
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inlovewithbooks.html
Latest Review: "The Guilt Club" by Lauren Tomsett
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by inlovewithbooks »

I’ve overlooked too many good books by judging their covers. Now I’m making a conscientious decision to read the back covers or descriptions of online books before deciding a book for me. :)
Latest Review: "The Guilt Club" by Lauren Tomsett
aduckgirl

Post by aduckgirl »

Absolutely. I am very drawn to modern, classy covers, and I'll shy away from anything that looks "cheap". Like uninteresting graphics, or even a basic, boring font for the title. I won't even read the description if the cover doesn't draw me in. Which sounds horrible, because I must truly judge a book by its cover! :P
Ericaflowers6238
Currently Reading: The Mansion's Twins
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericaflowers6238.html

Post by Ericaflowers6238 »

They say that you should never judge a book by its cover, but it is often difficult to remain neutral when it comes to choosing the book based solely on the description if it has a silly cover. Since the cover is suppose to reflect the book, choosing one that has unappealing artwork is difficult sometimes.
When looking for older books, sometimes the best ones I have ever read were the simple hardback books, where the only thing on the cover was the title. So in a way, the cover gave you no chance to judge the book without having to actually read it.

Recently I've noticed than many new books that have come out in the young adult fiction category have a drawing of some girl looking angry or sad. I have seen at least 8 separate series that have covers featuring angsty looking girls with long hair, and in my opinion, that does not convey the theme of the book well. I always give the books a chance and read through the description before deciding, but when all of the books look similar it is a turn off. Has anyone else noticed the increasingly similar cover designs lately?
RuthRoseRed
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Fahrenheit 451</a>
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthrosered.html
Reading Device: B00GWR36F6

Post by RuthRoseRed »

Yes a lot in fact, they say not to judge a book by it's cover when in fact its the first thing you see. No matter how much we love words lets be honest we all love a pretty picture "so to speak".
ASLmoon

Post by ASLmoon »

It does, but I try to overcome it. Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. ;) Am I right?
malutka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92

Post by malutka »

Who doesn't love awesome cover art??? I read and love books even with boring covers but when they have cool covers that's just bonus!!
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Post by kitsune1997 »

Sometimes. If the summary is well written and the reviews are positive i dont care but i have found many books that have great covers but bad summary and they are amazing!
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”