Does a books cover influence you?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Does a books cover influence you?

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Interesting cover art can usually persuade me to read the description on the back of the book, which many times leads to me actually reading it. More often, however, the book's title is what really grabs my attention. Now, if the title is paired with good cover art, then I'm sold.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
lovebooks2read
Currently Reading: Raintree: Sanctuary
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovebooks2read.html

Post by lovebooks2read »

For the most part I would say, yes the book cover does influence me. If the cover of the page reflects somewhat what the synopsis of the book on the back of the book entails, that is.

Sometimes we shouldn't be so hung up on the cover, because as they say "never judge a book by it's cover". It might be the most fantastic piece of literature that you have picked up in your life and it may have the most horrendous cover photo ever. LOL. :D
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

A really attractive cover always grabs my attention, but I would never buy a book based on cover graphics alone. I always spend time reading the book blurb and any other relevant information and, more often than not, the first couple of pages as well. As lovebooks2read, above, I don't think we should judge a book by its cover - but I can't deny that the cover is the primary aid to 'grabbing' a potential reader.
Carleyjade
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carleyjade.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Carleyjade »

Definitely, I like a book to catch my eye with an interesting or intense cover, which then prompts me to find out what it is about. I tend to find that those with an interesting cover tend to be the interesting books, although this doesn't apply in all cases. I also like a book with a plain but striking cover.
Ty0005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ty0005.html

Post by Ty0005 »

Absolutely! I love really interesting cover art. I always appreciate when books have this great art whether that book turns out to be good or not. Although it isn't my favorite Genre of books I really enjoy a lot of the artwork for those old Sword and Sorcery books. I also enjoy a bunch of that old 80's black light designs you'd see sometimes on book covers.
Radhika_17
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika-17.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Radhika_17 »

Yes! It matters so much that sometimes I decide against reading a book recommended by someone just because it's cover doesn't appeases me. An attractive cover is like the fragrance of freshly cooked food. If it smells heavenly, our mouth starts to water and if otherwise, we prefer not eating it. :D

*No I'm not crazy*
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

A. If the book has a muscular man without his shirt on I probably won't even read the title.
B. If the cover has a couple embracing as in the iconic picture promoting the movie "Gone With the Wind" I probably won't even read the title.
C. If the cover has a vampire I probably won't even read the title.
D. If the cover has a picture of the nations capital or an American flag I probably won't even read the title.
E. If the cover shows a courtroom scene I probably won't even read the title.

Okay, I'm picky and I've learned that a multitude of writers are writing books faster than I can read them.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I believe a book cover influences everyone; maybe for different reasons. I myself enjoy reading what the book is about. However, if I find a book with an interesting cover art I am probably going to buy it. Also, browsing is more interesting when the cover art is interesting.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

Yes. If it looks like a novel of a certain genre (because there seems to be a type of art for certain ones), I'll completely disregard it.
MrsBak0n
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsbak0n.html

Post by MrsBak0n »

For sure they do. The cover can tell you a lot about a book. I one time walked by a book and picked it up, because the cover was so strange and interesting. I loved that book!! It was one of the most unique stories I ever read.
ardeur128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ardeur128.html

Post by ardeur128 »

For sure, the majority of the time that's what sells it for me I find books based on the cover then read the insert
Atem

Post by Atem »

Slightly. But, the best books I've read were leather binding Easton press or old hard cover with no dust jacket.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Post by SharisseEM »

If the book is facing forward then yes. It's the first thing I see. But once I'm there, I tend to spend a lot of time reading the synopsis of all the books around it to find a good one. So during book sales, a good book cover pulls me over to that area. I know that I shouldn't judge a book by its cover but an attractive cover is an attractive cover and it catches my eye. If the book faces the side then it's the title that gets me or a familiar author's name.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

It definitely influences me. If a book were to have no picture on the cover I would more likely not pick it up than if it did have an interesting picture.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
317police

Post by 317police »

Only on fiction books. A non-fiction book, I can really care less.

Josh

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”