Oldest book you own?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dori
Bookshelf Size: 0

Oldest book you own?

Post by Dori »

It seems to be getting a little dull in this forum so I have decided to start a new topic.

What's the oldest book you own? I'm refering to the actual book, not the text, if that makes any sense :wink: .

I own a copy of Dante Aligheri's Divine Comedy that was published in 1923 (ed. Ernest Rhys, Intro and notes by Edmund G. Gardner; Everyman's Library). The exterior of this volume is in a horrible condition and some of the pages seem to have been stained. The front and back cover were so dirty that I had to carefully wash them with soap and water (making sure not to get the pages wet, of course). The interior is in a relatively good condition, except for the jottings of some college student (from the looks of it).

Anyone with anything older?
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Linda

Post by Linda »

im not sure if mines older i'll have to check, but i have a really old book of Shakespeare's work...but when i was not caring about books and more into art i ripped pages out so i could use them for an art project...the project came out really good...but the book is sort of ruined lol
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Dori

Post by Dori »

Linda wrote:im not sure if mines older i'll have to check, but i have a really old book of Shakespeare's work...but when i was not caring about books and more into art i ripped pages out so i could use them for an art project...the project came out really good...but the book is sort of ruined lol
:shock: Sacrilege! :wink:

Today I was going through my dad's books (in piles on the floor) and I came across two books that were published in the 50's. My dad then gave them to me because he thought I would be interested in them.

The first one, Teach Yourself Russian was published in 1956. The second, now one of my favorite books which I have in my library, is a volume containing the works of Chaucer (hence the title "The Works of Chaucer" :wink: ). This was published in 1957.

My dad practically owns 100+ texbooks (Physics, Mathematics, and other such subjects) which he acquired a few years ago (being the physicist he is) for a relatively cheap price. From the looks of them, they date back to the early-mid 20th century. I'll have to check some time.

I love old books :mrgreen: .
Sofia

Post by Sofia »

The Poetical Works Of John Dryden-1884
Linda

Post by Linda »

ha yea that wasn't too smart of me but the yellowed pages made a great background for my art piece :lol:
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
knightss

Post by knightss »

Whittier's Poems - 1888
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Dori

Post by Dori »

I found a book that was published in 1888, but the name escapes me...

I also found an old-looking bible. I couldn't find a publication date though :? .
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I have a 1950's copy of the Complete Works of Jane Austen. Not very old, but it's my oldest!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

awelker

Post by awelker »

i have a book of detroits founders that my grandpa found. it dates back to 1890.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Dori

Post by Dori »

I found another everyman's lbrary book, Homer's The Odyssey, published in 1920. It's in a lot better condition than the Divine Comedy.
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

ooo, I picked up a copy of the vicar of wakefield today for 50p. I dont know the date it as published but judging from the writing in the front it as given to someone as a present in 1907!

Appart from that, my copy of the Book of Common Prayer dates back to at least 1880-something when it was given to my great grandmother as a prize for something. And my huge family bible is 1854 I think...

Old books just smell better.
haylesd

Post by haylesd »

i have a copy of the "the strange case of dr.jekyll and mr.hyde and other fables" that dates back to 1898. i have just finished reading it to!
my dad also has a copy of a book made by a chrisian group who spread the word of jesus and whatnot. it dates back to 1837! and the group was founded in the 1600's!
old books are amazing to look through :)
Natasha_au

Post by Natasha_au »

It might have to be Anne of Green Gables and Pollyanna. Received both books in 1989 on my birthday...haven't read them for ages though.
Batspice

Post by Batspice »

I used to love visiting second hand bookshops and picked up a lot of random books that just took my interest. The one that looks the oldest is a pocket size King James Bible - its very bashed and worn, and looks very very old, but the first couple of pages appear to have been torn out, so I have no idea when it was published.

I did only pay 50p for it about 25 years ago, so it is very likely a lot younger than it looks!
megan_bright

Post by megan_bright »

A Grammar of the Latin Language By WM. Bingham, A.M.
Second Edition, 1870

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”