Books you hated that everyone else liked

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Books you hated that everyone else liked

Post by Peta2017 »

Have you ever read a book that everyone seemed to love but you just could not appreciate the hype? Very recently I read a romance novel, and it was just 'ok' to me but everyone else seemed to like it and i was like why? lolol :D
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

Definitely! I think that's pretty natural and it makes things more interesting. The one that came to mind immediately was My Sister's Keeper. I don't hate the book. I thought the writing itself was pretty good and I was entertained for the most part. My issue with it was that the book asked a very tough, very interesting moral question and I thought the author weaseled her way out of trying to answer it at the end. I was just disappointed.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Honestly... I'm like that about the Harry Potter series. The books were fine and I appreciated the effect they had in getting children back into reading.

I didn't hate them. I liked them. I just didn't completely understand everyone's obsession over them. They were good books but I don't believe them to be "masterpieces" as some people kept saying.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

I am with you on the Harry Potter books. I think they are good but I don't think I would call them masterpieces

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”