Choosing books for in-person book clubs

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Choosing books for in-person book clubs

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Simple Question:

How does your in-person book club choose which books to read?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

The books we choose happen in different ways:
1) One time we had all decided we wanted to read mysteries, so we went online to find a list of uniquely themed cozy mysteries. Most of our girls like cheese, so we picked up a cheese mystery.
2) Right now I have a research project I'm working on, so my girls decided to read some of the novels with me.
3) In the past, we've compared our "to read" lists on Goodreads and picked a book if we all had the same one listed.
3) We picked this up from Pinterest: everyone puts books they want to read on small slips of paper, fold up the paper, throw them in a jar and keep them there until it's time to pick the next book.

Hope this helped.
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

In my book club, we take turns choosing the book. Usually what happens is the person choosing throws out a few options and we discuss which one we'd all like to read.
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I don't think we have any book clubs in my town. But I would like to find someone to read the same book at the same time as me, and have discussions about it. I really don't know how to make it happen tho. Any ideas?
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

One place to start could be your local library. Sometimes they have book groups that meet or would be able to help you to start one. Another place would be your local bookstore.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

gregs317 wrote:I don't think we have any book clubs in my town. But I would like to find someone to read the same book at the same time as me, and have discussions about it. I really don't know how to make it happen tho. Any ideas?
Meetup.com is a great place to find groups and create groups.

-- 10 Apr 2017, 21:42 --
Christina O Phillips wrote:The books we choose happen in different ways:
1) One time we had all decided we wanted to read mysteries, so we went online to find a list of uniquely themed cozy mysteries. Most of our girls like cheese, so we picked up a cheese mystery.
2) Right now I have a research project I'm working on, so my girls decided to read some of the novels with me.
3) In the past, we've compared our "to read" lists on Goodreads and picked a book if we all had the same one listed.
3) We picked this up from Pinterest: everyone puts books they want to read on small slips of paper, fold up the paper, throw them in a jar and keep them there until it's time to pick the next book.

Hope this helped.
Great ideas! We've been bringing ideas but lately it's been more difficult, with fewer suggestions brought to the table.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I really like the idea of everyone putting the name of a book on their TBR list into a jar. Then one by one, the group picks a paper with the next book to read together. Brilliant! :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”