Do you finish every book you start?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Do you finish every book you start?

Post by Jesska6029 »

I wish I could say I have finished every book I have ever started, but I would be a liar if I did. There are so many good books out there, and I really do not want to waste my time going through a book that does not capture my interest.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
mystrcoffee
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystrcoffee.html

Post by mystrcoffee »

I don't feel obligated to finish a book just because I start it. I do like to give the author a good chance. If I've even picked it up and gotten past the first page there's a good chance I'll finish it.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Yes, I have to finish what I start. I've finished things that were boring as heck , and then I donate them straight away. No books are thrown away in my house.
THunter08
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thunter08.html

Post by THunter08 »

No. I would prefer to spend my time reading something that is able to not only keep my interest, but make me not want to put the book down at all.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Nope! The book has to keep my interest...although there were several times Im glad I did make myself finish the book!
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
Hendmosaad89
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hendmosaad89.html
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright

Post by Hendmosaad89 »

Yes. Not unless the book was so horrible to even contemplate finishing it. Then no I dont finish everything.
Latest Review: "From Nathan to Nanako" by T.F. Wright
krisliz88
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Heartsick
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krisliz88.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by krisliz88 »

I used to, but I don't any more because I feel like it is a waste of time. If a book doesn't take me away then I just can't focus on it and I become frustrated.
christinaloveslee

Post by christinaloveslee »

Yes i have a strange need to finish everything i start, that being said i have to admit to about 4 or 5 books i just couldn't get into and i had to give up! Is it strange that it bothers me that i still have not finished them :D
Blueydmonster
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Blueydmonster »

I used to finish every book but now I say why waste the time if you arent enjoying the story?
nefausey
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nefausey.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by nefausey »

I've only ever not finished one book in my life. There are sever on my bookshelf with bookmarks in them that I fully intend to finish one day, but there was one that I read in high school that I put down and haven't thought of since. I don't even remember what it was, I just remember being bored and not caring whether or not I knew the end of the story.
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
stephybc00
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephybc00.html

Post by stephybc00 »

Until I was about 16 years old, I finished every book I started. The first book I never finished was Nicholas and Alexandria. I just didn't have enough time to finish it before we had to start reading the next book for school that year.
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

Unfortunately, I do not finish every single book I start. If I have a hard time getting into it within the first 1-2 chapters, I stop. I had this problem with The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, couldn't get through the first chapter. I tried reading it again 2 years later and finished the whole trilogy within a week. I was so disappointed in myself for waiting so long!
Ayane101
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayane101.html

Post by Ayane101 »

Currently I am in the middle of about 10 books. Some can keep my attention from start to finish, some can not. Ultimately I finish every book I actively start reading, it just may take me some time to do so. ^_^
L Brox
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-brox.html

Post by L Brox »

I do try to and I force myself to finish something I don't really enjoy, despite how long it takes me to do so.

Unfortunately I am the victim of an extremely short attention span and I find that finishing a book I don't particularly like is becoming harder and harder the older I get.
Supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

I do read almost every book I start, because the books are usually books that were recommended to me by my cousin or mom.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”