Do you finish every book you start?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ThomasRA1950
Bookshelf Size: 0

Do you finish every book you start?

Post by ThomasRA1950 »

I did. No matter how bored I was with a book, I was determined to finish it -- even if I only read one page a day! However, this is no longer the case. Instead of asking, "Why don't you finish reading every book you start?" ask yourself, "Why do I have to finish every book I start?" And the answer is: Because you don't have to!! (Unless you're reading a book for a book report in English or similar situations.) My father beat it into me that I should ALWAYS finish what I start, no matter what the project, I must finish it; otherwise, don't start it! Well, it took me nearly half of a century to realize that if I start reading a book and don't like it, I can close it... for good! And I try another; and, if I don't like it, I'll try another! Get the picture? Also, just because someone says a certain book they have just read is the "best" book, does not mean it's YOUR best book. This is what makes us so unique: different tastes for different folks! So, whatever book you choose should be because you like it; if not, move on!
Last edited by ThomasRA1950 on 19 Jun 2009, 20:05, edited 1 time in total.
The Real Macai

Post by The Real Macai »

When I was younger, I really didn't finish books. I also employed certain cheats in my reading, skipping parts I found uninteresting, such as sex scenes or verbose descriptions of rooms and people's appearances.

Now, on the other hand, I do not do this.
atrixa

Post by atrixa »

In general I finish them, unless I can't get into it at all, or if there's no punctuation. I don't see the point of that.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Groucho Marx
US comedian with Marx Brothers (1890 - 1977)
The Real Macai

Post by The Real Macai »

atrixa wrote:In general I finish them, unless I can't get into it at all, or if there's no punctuation. I don't see the point of that.
There are books with no punctuation?
chicklit

Post by chicklit »

I have no problem starting a book and not finishing it. If the book can't spark my interest and keep it, then I move on to the next.

No, I've never heard of a book without punctuation and would never read one.
tiggerbob1952

Post by tiggerbob1952 »

I sometimes will start a book, start another and eventually get back to the first, start a third and fourth. Over the course of time, I will finish all four.
I finished some 1,000 page novels on a long train ride from home to work and back home again. I got into some interesting discussions with some of the fellow commuters on the train.
I have read several novels as part of a series but sometimes find novels within series will repeat themselves.
TeddyP

Post by TeddyP »

I used to have the habit of finsihing anything I started to read...not anymore - way too many great books out there to waste my time reading something I don't enjoy
tiggerbob1952

Post by tiggerbob1952 »

:? With so many good books out there, I get somewhat selective on what book to read. If the book does not grab me in the first few pages, I put it down and don't pick it up again. I also go on personal recommendations or written reviews.
sisterhoney61

Post by sisterhoney61 »

With so many books in my TBR shelves, if I don't like a book that I'm reading, then I stop reading it and pick up another. No point punishing myself by reading a book that I don't like. There have been a couple of times when I'll set a book aside for awhile and then go back to it, but this doesn't happen very often.
ceve4life

Post by ceve4life »

I have finished every book I've ever started since I've become a reader....except "the dark company" by glen cook. I just couldn't stand that book.
vanora

Post by vanora »

No, but I will usually give a book that isn't interesting me - my "read 100 pages" rule. Sometimes it works and I'll finish the book (have found several that fit into this rule that became favorites!), and sometimes I just can't finish the book. However, there have been some books that I have never reached page 100. It was just tedious. One book that I forced myself to read and still didn't enjoy was Wicked by Gregory Maguire. Just not my cup of tea. :?
speechless

Post by speechless »

I used to, but not anymore. I think it's because when I was a kid books were fairly short, so even if I didn't like them I figured I was almost done anyway. Now, however, I'll stop if I don't like it, even if I've only read 15 pages. I'm trying to break that habit because I've read books in the past that started slow but became amazing. Example, Harry Potter. I hated the first book. I picked it up three times before forcing myself to finish it, and now I'm a huge fan.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I try very hard to finish them all, but sometimes have to put it down. I couldn't make it through "The Origin Of Species" because, while I'm intersted in the subject, it was a really boring read. The sentence's seemed to go on and on for pages. Darwin really needed an editor.
San1968

Post by San1968 »

Until I had my daughter there were only 2 books I did not finish, "Vanity Fair" Thackeray and "The Red Tent" Anita Diamant. I even made it all the way through “Lunar Park” Bret Easton Ellis, which although magnificently written, was a bit stressful at times. However, now I don't finish books unless I am really enjoying them, my time is so precious, my daughter is 5, and there are so many books to read I don't feel guilty and agree entirely with ThomasRA1950 when he states,

“Instead of asking, "Why don't you finish reading every book you start?" ask yourself, "Why do I have to finish every book I start?" And the answer is: Because you don't have to!!”
AbbyInk

Post by AbbyInk »

I like to go through the library and just pick up a book or two that I really want to read and than I will grab another few that I have never heard of. Sometimes I get these great books I never would have thought to read, other times not so much. When I get a not so much book I won't finish it if it can't keep my attention.

I didn't know that there were books without punctuation either! That would drive me banana sandwich.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”