Do you finish every book you start?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MrsRay
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsray.html

Re: Do you finish every book you start?

Post by MrsRay »

I usually do finish the books I read, but once in a while I'll encounter a book that is offensive and I don't feel like I have to subject myself to that. Sometimes a book doesn't turn out to be what you expected. I like it when that goes an interesting direction, but I remember one book, and I can't even remember the name of it, but it turned out to be graphically sexual. I skimmed over the first instance hoping that it was a one-time situation, but then I discovered it was going to be an ongoing problem. I abandoned that book without a second thought. I wish books had ratings like the movies, don't you?

I felt bad for my teenage daughters this summer because they both had to read the same book for school and they both HATED it. They told me the writing was bad and the author was jumping back and forth in time with no breaks or other indications. They knew they had to finish it though, but it was rough.
MsJMentions
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msjmentions.html
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Post by MsJMentions »

Yes, I do.
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton
Ludlam_b
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ludlam_b »

I try to finish every book however if I am half way through and still a little bored with it I will switch to a new book and come back to finish the first one later on.

-- 16 Sep 2016, 13:50 --

I try to finish every book however if I am half way through and still a little bored with it I will switch to a new book and come back to finish the first one later on.
SandraTWP-BRW
Currently Reading: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandratwp-brw.html
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by SandraTWP-BRW »

No, Life is too short and there are too many books. Unless I have a professional commitment to complete a book, if I'm not "feelin' it," I set it aside. I can always go back to it in the future if I'm inclined to.
Latest Review: "If God Is Not for Me, Then He Must Be Against Me!" by DeShaun Johnson
smhawkins
Currently Reading: The Art of Racing in the Rain
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smhawkins.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by smhawkins »

There have only been a handful of books I haven't been able to finish. Usually, it means it's either a REALLY dry book or just a bad book.
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
Ajayb8ker

Post by Ajayb8ker »

It takes a lot for me to put down a book, but it happens. If a book either becomes too predictable or is too stiff in its writing I will give up on it. But if there is hope that it will improve, I push on.
KMClarkson
Currently Reading: We Have Always Lived in the Castle

Post by KMClarkson »

I used to finish every book I stared like a religion. But then I realized I don't have to complete a book I don't care for. There are too many books I want to read to drag through a book I dislike. Unless of course it is for school or my book club.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I agree with most here. I have no issues putting a book down if I am getting bored. Sometimes I get back to them. Usually I don't. Too much that I haven't gotten to yet to waste time with something I pretty sure is dull.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Genevieve93

Post by Genevieve93 »

I don't finish all the books I start reading. To tell the truth, I start 2-3 or sometimes even more books before I find the one that I really want to finish. If a book doesn't grab my attention at the beginning, I give it a second chance and look through it and if it still doesn't suit me I just leave it. I don't know why I should waste time and my nerves for something that I don't like. Generally, I love reading but even I don't want to spend my time reading some garbage. It happened a few times, though, that I started reading something, left it for some time and then came back to it and enjoyed it immensely, but it's a really rare thing for me.
Kaitismommy
Currently Reading: Murder in Chinatown
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Kaitismommy »

I used to but now I realize that my time is too important to me to keep reading a book if I don't enjoy it.
little_one

Post by little_one »

I usually always finish books because I love reading. The only time I remember not finishing one is because it was a really confusing book that was all over the place on the thoughts. I also just didn't like how it was set up with the ideas going everywhere. It was very unorganized.
Moon Light
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moon-light.html

Post by Moon Light »

A book is opened to be closed at last.
Every book is worth a finish.
Someonesstar
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someonesstar.html

Post by Someonesstar »

Nope. If a book is boring why stick around?
DB44
Currently Reading: Breaths in Winter
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-db44.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00REQKWGA

Post by DB44 »

Absolutely not. We are simply so spoilt for not only choice but also for value and price that it is almost a crime to continue to finish a book you are simply not enjoying.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
AlyssaC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssac.html

Post by AlyssaC »

YES!!!! Even if I start a book and think it is not interesting I finish it - just in case it would get better. Sometimes I've been disappointed when it never does.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”