Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Woodland Nymph
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Woodland Nymph »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - JK Rowling
The Sweet, Far Thing - Libba Bray
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

atrixa wrote:
blue_diamond21 wrote:The end of Lovely Bones had me weeping and i always said it wasnt my kind of book, I was so wrong!!!! Cant wait for the movie :D
I didn't know Lovely Bones was coming to a movie? I'm surprised! Sounds great! :P
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

Okay, there's actually a list of books that made me cry- and this is just off the top of my head!
I'm actually hard to "move", but there really are some topics that really get me going.

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (many times throughout the novel)
Calling Home by Janna McMahon (the last 20 pages)
Catch by Will Leitch (the ending and once in the middle when he was realizing that his life was NOT what he expected it to be)
Okay by Katherine Marple (ending, duh- and also in the middle during a hospital scene)
Hunger Point by Jillian Medoff (a few self-realization scenes in the middle)
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (oh my goodness I sobbed like a little baby throughout this book)
The Pact by Jodi Picoult (almost the entire book had me weeping)
Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin (twisted emotions through the whole book)
Baby Proof by Emily Giffin (also tears throughout the whole book- honesty in words)
Wicked by Gregory Macguire (yes, I even cried at this epic novel. But it was so unfair!)
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

readingaddict wrote:'My Sisters' Keeper' - even when I reread it I still cry
Oh, the ending nearly KILLED me on that book.
Have you read Nineteen Minutes or The Pact by her?
LauraH

Post by LauraH »

eetymaggie wrote:Tuesdays with Morrie, the Time Traveller's Wife, Bridges of Madison County,We need to talk about kevin ,and A Long Walk to Freedom-Mandela's autobiography and many more.
I've actually heard many people talk about "We Need to Talk About Kevin". I've never seen the book before, but maybe I'm just not paying attention. I will research it online and see if it's something that I'd like.
book.worm

Post by book.worm »

when i read the book a walk to remember made me cry, in the part that they still got married even if jamie is dying from cancer..

tuesdays with morrie made me cry also, because of the good bonding and friendship of morrie and his long time student..

ps. iloveyou made me cry because even though jerry is dying he did not tell it to holly because he doesnt want her to worry and be sad.. :oops:
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I forgot all about Frankenstein by Mary Shelley; that book was so full of despair, it was impossible not to shed a tear or two.
ryan2

Post by ryan2 »

I honestly got a little teary eyed when Eddie was dying after getting shot up in the last Dark Tower book.
giorgia

Post by giorgia »

i cry at pretty much every book but i cried so hard at Goodnight Beautiful, by Dorothy Koomson, that i could hardly read the ending. and everytime i thought about it for the next three months i started crying too. i also had a big sob at The Lovely Bones, a little sob at White Oleander and some silent weeping at The Time Traveller's Wife.
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

Quite a list thus far,
A recent aquisition was 'For Love and Courage', the First World War letters from the trenches to his wife and family by Lieutenant Colonel E.W.Hermon, their replies are not kept, but from his letters, one gets to know the man and what he is about. Towards the end however, I couldn't read it for several attempts, try as I might, I felt real pain and anguish and yes, tears flowed like rain. I eventually read it after a few weeks of leaving it alone. I have never experienced anything quite like this book, ever, I thought I was fairly immune to sorrow and grief, especially through someone elses family, but, read it if you can without crying like a baby....I can't.
textbookonly

Post by textbookonly »

By the time I finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie I couldn't stop the downpour... I was so moved by the book that I couldn't stop crying.

A story of a man dying and a man enriching his life by the dying man's wisdom. A story about friendship. A story about the vast power of life. A story I will read over and over again, and cry each time again.
thischarmingmanc

Post by thischarmingmanc »

I'm gonna say the divinci code, but for other reasons that the oens you were meaing
breakingthehabit

Post by breakingthehabit »

"Message in the Bottle"- Nicholas Sparks. It sounded corny, but the ending made me cry as if my pet just died and i could never be as happy ever again in my life........ok, i may be a bit exaggerating, but u got my drift :lol:
Laura

Post by Laura »

I cried like a baby in Chicken Soup for the Animal Lovers soul, Marley and Me, and in Harry Potter 6 when Dumbledore was killed.
certifiedbookworm

Post by certifiedbookworm »

I would have to say Identical by Ellen Hopkins. She's so amazing with words!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”