Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-secrets.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Secrets »

I agree with the Harry Potter... Many teary eyed moments in Harry Potter.

Also both of Cassandra Clare's series (Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices) have made me tear up at some point.
Sonia Galloway

Post by Sonia Galloway »

"Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
barrieralex
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barrieralex.html

Post by barrieralex »

A Dog's Purpose by Bruce Cameron
Clairecrumpton1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clairecrumpton1.html

Post by Clairecrumpton1 »

A thousand splendid suns is a book that definitely stirs up a huge range of emotions. There are so many powerful moments in this book that you will surely shed a few tears
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

textbookonly wrote:By the time I finished reading Tuesdays With Morrie I couldn't stop the downpour... I was so moved by the book that I couldn't stop crying.

A story of a man dying and a man enriching his life by the dying man's wisdom. A story about friendship. A story about the vast power of life. A story I will read over and over again, and cry each time again.
My daughter put me onto that. Very fine book, lots of insight. I didn't cry, but she did.

-- 22 Sep 2012, 17:57 --

While recounting incidents, in conversation, from Solzenitsyn's "Gulag" I have nearly cried...not quite. Were it a book of fiction it would merely be great. As it is, it will probably become a classic.
billie-jane

Post by billie-jane »

"The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay, when Geil Piet died. Well actually he was murdered, bashed brutally during the concert singing of the inn mates, lead by Peekay.
The saddest moment I have gotten caught up with so far, I am looking forward to many more.
Exarach

Post by Exarach »

Glad someone finally mentioned "Where the Red Fern Grows" On the fourth page.... sad sad ending on that.
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

Exarach wrote:Glad someone finally mentioned "Where the Red Fern Grows" On the fourth page.... sad sad ending on that.
So true (tho I only saw the movie).
Token conservative
Sicina

Post by Sicina »

Well, lot of them made me cry, but "The Kite Runner"was the one that I burst into tears when I finished reading...
Cj-Ca-Ej

Post by Cj-Ca-Ej »

I second The Lovley Bones. Now that I have children, I doubt I could read it again.
Sandyshappy

Post by Sandyshappy »

I cry with lots of books Persuasion Jane Austen and cried like a baby at end of Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy & at the end of Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell she died before she could finish it, it was finished by others using her notes. I don't cry much with the more modern books, theres something about the classics..
DivineIntervention
Favorite Book: The tenth circle
Currently Reading: Fifty shades of Grey

Post by DivineIntervention »

The tenth circle by Jodi Picoult; pretty much all of her books make me cry anyway but all the central characters had such sad story lines. It's bound to make you at least get a little teary!
The life of the refrigerator door was really sad too, you can read it in less than 2 hours, it's a book written in notes on the refrigerator door. I cried so much at this book!
a_b_syed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-syed.html

Post by a_b_syed »

Hi all, I've just been reading 'A Little Princess' by Frances Hodgson Burnett as a bedtime story and it makes me cry while I'm reading it and I do that stupid crying-talking.
My little one just looks at me and wonders what all the fuss is about :)
samsmum

Post by samsmum »

the Lovely bones by alice sebold made me cry ... :cry:
mcfmatthews
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcfmatthews.html

Post by mcfmatthews »

I recently completed The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman. I usually do not become emotional when reading. However, at the end of this book, I was reaching for the Kleenex! It's a very touching story that maybe while reading, you will ask yourself; What would I do?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”