Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by lady_charlie »

I just finished War Brides by Helen Bryan and at first I didn't think I would even finish reading it, but then I got wrapped up in it and was actually surprised a couple of times to discover that I was still sitting in my own house - I could really see what was going on; it was like I was there with them. I did cry near the end but I won't spoil it.
BooksNJoy
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Currently Reading: The music of the spheres
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by BooksNJoy »

Well I cried on only one book since I read.
It was Tipperary by Frank Delaney. The love story is not the reason, the Troubles are. I do love Ireland.
"And, after all, what is a lie? 'Tis but
The truth in masquerade."

Lord Byron, Don Juan
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Oranges & Sunshine by Margaret Humphreys
In 1986 Margaret Humphreys, a British social worker, investigated a woman's claim that at the age of four she had been put on a boat to Australia by the British government. At first thinking it incredulous, Margaret discovered that this was just the tip of an enormous iceberg. Up to 150,000 children, some as young as three years old, had been deported from children's homes in Britain and shipped off to a "new life" in distant parts of the British empire, right up until 1970. Many were told that their parents were dead, and parents often believed that their children had been adopted in Britain. In fact, for many children it was to be a life of horrendous physical and sexual abuse far away from everything they knew. Here, Margaret reveals how she unraveled this shocking secret and how it became her mission to reunite these innocent and unwilling exiles with their families in Britain. Originally published as Empty Cradles.
Devasting story about how the so-called "Christian" charities in cahoots with the UK government dumped their children of the poor and orphanges like garbage,by sending them many only toddlers.... 12,000 miles away to be slave labor in Austrailia, New Zealand, Canada,ect!
kelleys4girls

Post by kelleys4girls »

Not what would be labeled a tearjerker, but Lisey's Story by Stephen King made me bawl like a baby.
Barbara Brown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-brown.html

Post by Barbara Brown »

Message In A Bottle by Nicolas Sparks ...especially the ending :cry:
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Why I Believed: Reflections of a Former Missionary by Kenneth W Daniels
Ash Roarke
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-roarke.html

Post by Ash Roarke »

Stephen King's Dark Tower Series made me shed quite a few tears along the way. The epic journey involved romance and loss as well as friendship. It took me quite some time to read, and none of it was wasted!
ichandlersgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichandlersgirl.html

Post by ichandlersgirl »

This will be the cheesiest response, but "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. Cried at the ending!
MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin »

Came close to tearing when I read the end of Blood Meridian. It was just too horrifying on the whole.
esawyer
Favorite Book: Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba
Currently Reading: Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai

Post by esawyer »

Some of the more recent ones for me were comic series, and it was always at the end.
Y:The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra - it's a comic about what would happen if every living thing with a Y chromosome died except for a young man and his monkey.
Daytripper by Fabio Moon and Gabriel Ba - it's a series with each issue focusing on a different part of the main character's life, but there's a major twist at the end of each issue. The final issue is so poignant.

I remember as a kid that I cried to Where the Red Fern Grows.

I'm a pretty emotional reader, so there are loads more.

-- 26 Jan 2013, 16:40 --
otleylovebug wrote:Had to think about this - I cried at lots of films - but a book that did make me cry was Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. So sad at the end and dramatic as he is going tothe guillotine. :(
That was definitely very emotional. I was very cynical when I read it (high school), but that was probably the most moving part.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
fav_author_id: 4227

Post by primrose777 »

ichandlersgirl wrote:This will be the cheesiest response, but "The Notebook" by Nicholas Sparks. Cried at the ending!

Dont worry, I cried when I read The Note Book too, same with the movie..... everytime!!!!!
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
galegirl

Post by galegirl »

Cold Mountain. Sobbed through a whole box of tissues on that one. :cry: Sad but riveting.
bucknscout
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bucknscout.html

Post by bucknscout »

Nicholas Sparks always makes me cry.
Megan Jevons

Post by Megan Jevons »

I cried a little reading The Vow: The True Events that Inspired the Movie, by Kim Carpenter, Krickitt Carpenter, John Perry, Dana Wilkerson.
rishabhsachan

Post by rishabhsachan »

Edgcar Swatelle this book always my eyes wet

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”