Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Deee »

The 'Fault in our Stars' which had me weeping, and 'The Lovely Bones'.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
Tigergal46
Currently Reading: The Help
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigergal46.html

Post by Tigergal46 »

Honestly the last book to make me cry was "Allegiant" by Veronica Roth. It seems silly but I had become particularly attached to the characters and when one of them passed I couldn't stop crying for a few minutes.
zking
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: When The Devil Whispers
Bookshelf Size: 4
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by zking »

Marley & Me by John Grogan made me laugh and cry.

Amazing Gracie: A Dog's Tale by Mark Bekloft and Dan Dye was a remarkable story. Gracie had a poor appetite. Dan Dye taught himself to cook nutritional doggie cookies that Gracie would eat. Friends' dogs enjoyed them too. This led to Dan opening the very successful Three Dog Bakery. Like all dog stories the dog dies too soon. I cried a lot over Gracie.
jenrcraig
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenrcraig.html

Post by jenrcraig »

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince. Dumbledore's death made me cry. I cried so hard I couldn't read anymore, I had to take a break in the middle of the chapter so I could get my breathing under control. As with most authors writing a series, J.K. Rowling became a better author the more she wrote. Practice does make perfect. The first couple of deaths in the series, while touching, were not written with as much feeling as her later in novel deaths.
Tammyellelamb

Post by Tammyellelamb »

The Fault in Our Stars made me cry so hard.
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I've cried while reading almost every Nicholas Sparks novels, especially The Notebook. I've cried at more books but I can't remember all of them. I guess I get pretty emotional, but I love when you can get into a story to the point you get that emotional.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
charlotte21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte21.html

Post by charlotte21 »

I'm quite tough and I never cry at books - something I've always been quite proud of :wink: but there is one book that thawed my cold heart(!!) - 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince'. I don't want to spoil it for anyone so I won't say exactly which part made me cry but all you potterheads out there will know exactly which part I'm talking about, I'm sure!
courtsrad
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtsrad.html

Post by courtsrad »

I cry a lot with books, I'm really emotional so it happens. The harry potter series had me crying a lot. A few books in the house of night series did as well.
elainevanpelt75
Currently Reading: If I Stay
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elainevanpelt75.html

Post by elainevanpelt75 »

The book that made me cry was " A Child Called It "... That book made me cry from start to finish. I wanted to help him somehow.. I wanted to find that thing he called a mother and give her double what she put that poor boy through !!! She wasn't even human !!!!
werdfert
Currently Reading: Nice Big American Baby
Bookshelf Size: 121

Post by werdfert »

The Absolutely True diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie is the first one that comes to mind because i was talking about it recently, but i am sure there are others.
Kellee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kellee.html

Post by Kellee »

I remember being 10 years old and crying on my bedroom floor at the end of 'Stargirl'.
Anemone Rose
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anemone-rose.html

Post by Anemone Rose »

You know while a I think about it no that has never happened to me before maybe I am not emotional. I me I may be shocked or sad but never cry. I was more like what the heck when it came to HP. Other books much the same I don't know why.
amandabbeck
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandabbeck.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by amandabbeck »

The Longest Ride by Nicholas Spark, A Star for Mrs. Blake by April Smith and Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosney. I get emotional sometimes when I read.
laurafrutos
Favorite Author: Hermann Hesse
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3008">The Fault in Our Stars</a>
Currently Reading: Spiral
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2860

Post by laurafrutos »

The Fault in our Stars by John Green... by far... every time I read it I cry even more than before. :'(
theredhairedcrow
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12069">The Transformer Trilogy</a>
Currently Reading: Tracker (Foreigner)
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by theredhairedcrow »

I've teared up reading a couple of books, but the one where I had to put the book down and literally cry for some time, work through those emotions before starting again. Happened a few times reading:

"Eyewitness Auschwitz: Three Years in the Gas Chambers" by Filip Müller.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”