Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

amysuedew
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysuedew.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by amysuedew »

Heaven Is For Real made me cry like a baby, read it on a plane...
Shannon_Davies
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannon-davies.html

Post by Shannon_Davies »

The Death cure by James Dashner
Jade Evans

Post by Jade Evans »

It's quite ironic, I never cry at funerals or when someone dies or any of the other sad things that may happen in life. For some absurd reason I always seem to get teary eyed if I'm reading a heartfelt book. That seems to be often.
TheKeenReader
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TheKeenReader »

I remember reading Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls as a class in sixth-grade English, and pretty much the whole class was in shambles. More recently, I got really emotional while reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
WndrWmn2016
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wndrwmn2016.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by WndrWmn2016 »

The last book I read that made me cry was Number the Stars by Lois Lowry; however, it wasn't because of any sad moment. Even though there were horrible crimes against humanity taking place, I cried because of the fellowship and sacrifice of the Danes who risked everything to save the lives of those they were ordered to hate.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
npatt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npatt.html

Post by npatt »

If a book can make me cry then it is top l regardless of the quality of writing, in my opinion. I always cry when reading Nicholas Sparks, as cheesy as that may be. The Fault in Our Stars is a tear jerker to me too!
MelissaNathan12
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissanathan12.html

Post by MelissaNathan12 »

The Choices We Make written by Karma Brown. I bawled like a baby. It is a story about a woman and her best friend and their journey through surrogacy. It is a horribly tragic story ( I won't get into specifics) but beautifully written with great connection to the reader.
Garima Om

Post by Garima Om »

When All is Not Well by OM SWAMI .
This is a book on depression but one that gives you a new perspective on depression. Read the blurb below :

I've heard so many people tell those who suffer depression to just "cheer up." I wonder if they really believe that it’s that simple. Depression isn't just sadness. It is emptiness, it is misery. It is pain and nothingness at once. When you are truly depressed you lack the ability or will to cheer yourself up. No one just “has depression.” You suffer from it. Even with all our scientific advances, depression remains one of the most mysterious mental illnesses. Anti-depressants don’t work for everyone just like meditation and vacations don’t work for many others. Ayurvedic and yogic texts dating as back as 5000 years called depression, vishada, a toxic state of mind. In this profoundly insightful work, Om Swami categorizes depression into three types to help you see how a different approach is needed to cure each type. Beautifully woven with soul-stirring case-studies and yogic wisdom, you will gain a new perspective on depression and sadness.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

amysuedew wrote:Heaven Is For Real made me cry like a baby, read it on a plane...
I taught the boy's brother that this story was about. Sweet but sad story.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
YellowHorse
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by YellowHorse »

“Tussen Stasies” written by Irma Joubert, an Afrikaans Author. This is an excellent war romance, a very emotional book. I am not sure if it is translated in English or not.
GemNR18
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 743">White Bones</a>
Currently Reading: Taken for Dead
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemnr18.html

Post by GemNR18 »

atrixa wrote:Tell us what books have had you bawling like a baby. For me, the only one i can think of is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Definitely cried with other books but Deathly Hallows broke my heart! I swear my copy has tear stains every few pages!
Throughout my teenage years I was a Snape devotee (still am) so when he died and The Prince's Tale chapter followed, I was done for :cry2:
tmhcr72
Currently Reading:

Post by tmhcr72 »

The last book that made me cry was Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Loved this book. Movie didn't quite do it justice. I'm quite sure even the book was a shadow of the real events.
I Holly
Currently Reading: The Song of Achilles
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-holly.html

Post by I Holly »

The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak made me cry with happiness and despair an equal amount of times. I loved this book and would recommend it to everyone.
Whytdogs+Blackcat
Currently Reading: Russka
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Whytdogs+Blackcat »

It happens so very often, and usually quite unexpected. The last book that I cried over was Jeffrey Archer's "This was a Man", the final book in the wonderful "Clifton Chronicles". I am so glad that I was reading at home and not during a break at work, it was not a pretty cry :-).
Annyhern
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annyhern.html

Post by Annyhern »

Time travellers wife, the lovely bones, and many more. Especially on public transport!!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”