Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

MeTime
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by MeTime »

Many, but what always surprises me is how I reacted to the last chapter of Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. There is not a lot of action in the story physically, but so much deep thought throughout the entire story. Ordinary lives aren't action packed anyway so this book is so realistic to me. And the last chapter is so wistful that it really got to me, I thInk in a deeper way than books with an obvious tragedy. It is one of my favorite books and so true to life and the themes are still totally relevant today. I love that last chapter and it always gets to me.
FaustaCons

Post by FaustaCons »

The only book that made me cry BIG TIME was A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. I don't usually cry over sad stories but then this one was totally different. If I'm going to read it again I am sure I will have the very same feeling. I've been evading pain and loss over people. It brings out a side of me unto which I don't usually show to people, may they be family, friends or not.
doppelganger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doppelganger.html

Post by doppelganger »

The worst one for me was The Forbidden Game by L. J. Smith. I was sobbing in the middle of school.
abbierakes
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbierakes.html
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by abbierakes »

The Time Traveler's Wife was definitely a tear-jerker and My Sister's Keeper had me bawling for a little while. I always seem to pick emotional times in my life to read these kinds of things. The cry is very cleansing.
dreamrei
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamrei.html

Post by dreamrei »

The most recent book that made me cry was The Mistress by Tiffany Reisz. The emotion expressed really struck a chord in my heart. The love that the characters have for each other really reached me.

-- 21 Oct 2014, 00:11 --
FaustaCons wrote:The only book that made me cry BIG TIME was A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks. I don't usually cry over sad stories but then this one was totally different. If I'm going to read it again I am sure I will have the very same feeling. I've been evading pain and loss over people. It brings out a side of me unto which I don't usually show to people, may they be family, friends or not.
I read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks and it teared me up quite a bit. My heart broke for the characters.
ameliadefield

Post by ameliadefield »

Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata. That book gave me a whole new view on life.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

Roald Dahl's novel "My Uncle Oswald." It made me cry... tears of laughter. It's hilarious.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Dune because of all the sand that got in my eyes. ;)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rida
Favorite Author: A lot
Favorite Book: More than favorite authors
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rida.html
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy

Post by rida »

jht321 wrote:If I Stay by Gayle Forman. When she talked about her little brother it was heartbreaking. The whole book was almost too painful to read at times.
I've just started this book and I began crying on the starting pages
Read, read & eat then read some more
Latest Review: "Skive" by Paul Adam Levy
Dzahneen88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzahneen88.html

Post by Dzahneen88 »

I'm a bit emotional so I usually cry when there are sad moments in everything I read. But I the most recent was when I was reading A Dance with Dragons by George Martin. I have this great love to the Starks so when there are scene/times when they are in the verge of being triumphant, troubled, or in danger, it really moves me.
Kmikel0509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmikel0509.html

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I can count on one hand how many times I've cried while reading. The Book Thief, The Giver, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. That's it. I usually cry for stupid reasons, too.
Kmikel0509

Post by Kmikel0509 »

I can count on one hand how many times I've cried while reading. The Book Thief, The Giver, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. That's it. I usually cry for stupid reasons, too.
Kmikel0509

Post by Kmikel0509 »

Kthompson080

Post by Kthompson080 »

Looking for Alaska by John Green made me literally weep. I'm not much of a crier so I was surprised at how much his words could affect me!
romance-reader

Post by romance-reader »

Recently read The Book Thief and I bawled my eyes out. If I Stay by Gayle Foreman also made me cry.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”