Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

Booklover_1999
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-1999.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Booklover_1999 »

The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner :)
Eiles77
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eiles77.html

Post by Eiles77 »

The most recent book that had me sobbing was Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. Gut wrenching, but beautifully written.
tavaughan_83
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaughan-83.html

Post by tavaughan_83 »

So many. Harry Potter, It, Hearts in Atlantis, and Mitch Albom are the biggies though.

-- 25 Feb 2015, 21:08 --

Mitch Albom books, and John Green make me cry.
kcody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcody.html

Post by kcody »

A couple of months ago, I read "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes. Although the book had me laughing a lot, the overarching topic had me crying like a baby. I love books that make you put yourself in the characters' shoes and think about what you may do in the same situation. In the case of the topic dealt with in this book, it's easy to see both sides; there's really no good solution. Very sad.
Lovetoread2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovetoread2015.html

Post by Lovetoread2015 »

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover
RStone
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstone.html
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Post by RStone »

'The Book Thief' made me tear up, as did some of the 'His Dark Materials' bits by Phillip Pulman - mostly the bits focusing on the ties between the children and their daemons. I sniffled at the end of Deathly Hallows, but it had more to do with it being the end of a series I love so much than anything else- there were really no deaths that I wasn't prepared for, no matter how much I'd hoped they wouldn't happen. Well… mostly…. there was one that surprised me that involved red hair. (Has it been long enough we don't need to worry about spoilers?) Anything with animals is guaranteed to pull at my heartstrings, so I don't read books where animals might die!
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami
cittin5
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cittin5.html

Post by cittin5 »

The Fault in Our Stars made me cry all night after I finished it. If you haven't read that book I highly recommend it if you don't mind crying when you read.

The only other book that I cried in well reading was Malcolm (Book 1, The Redemption Series) by S.J. West. When Anna goes in his dream and he is reliving all his memories of or about Lilly... :cry: I just broke. I definitely recommend these books, but you need to read a few other series before it.(The Watchers Trilogy, The Watchers Chronicles, and Caylin's Story; A Watcher Duology)
Shelly2013
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Shelly2013 »

Forged By Fire had me sobbing. I was in 8th grade when my social studies teacher read it to the class (he skipped a few parts because of the books content.) Around the middle of my freshman year in high school, I found the book at the library. I have been reading ever since.
aussiescout14

Post by aussiescout14 »

I am new to this but The Art of Racing in the Rain made me cry as well as A Dog Year.
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

I cried when I read Deathly Hallows, Hope Was Here, and The Two Princesses of Bamarre. Deathly Hallows made me cry because of all the death...and it was the end of my favorite series of all time. Hope Was Here made me cry because one of the characters suffers from a disease throughout the entire book and the end is sad, but good. The Two Princesses of Bamarre made me cry because of the ending, which I won't give away in case someone here wants to read it :wink:
Sensimilla24

Post by Sensimilla24 »

A Fine Balance
T K Jules

Post by T K Jules »

Titus Hill will have you 3 boxing the nose wipes. Half from sniveling like a school girl who just met the Beib's, and half from laughing your head off. Incredibly entertaining and moving story. A young man commits an atrocity. He's of impeccable character and gives in to a moment of reckless abandon. He's remorseful and guilt ridden as he spends years atoning for his transgression. He meets his True Love and marry's. Lives an idyllic life for 10 years until one day he realizes his True Love had been his victim from years before. He confesses to her and she leaves. He pursues a drunken suicide mission and meets Death as a benevolent figure who explains she actually was made for him. Due to his atonement the young man is returned to life where his Love is waiting to explain she has forgiven him as well as has confessions of her own to explain her need for forgiveness. Great story from a first time author. Don't miss it.
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

T K Jules wrote:Titus Hill will have you 3 boxing the nose wipes. Half from sniveling like a school girl who just met the Beib's, and half from laughing your head off. Incredibly entertaining and moving story. A young man commits an atrocity. He's of impeccable character and gives in to a moment of reckless abandon. He's remorseful and guilt ridden as he spends years atoning for his transgression. He meets his True Love and marry's. Lives an idyllic life for 10 years until one day he realizes his True Love had been his victim from years before. He confesses to her and she leaves. He pursues a drunken suicide mission and meets Death as a benevolent figure who explains she actually was made for him. Due to his atonement the young man is returned to life where his Love is waiting to explain she has forgiven him as well as has confessions of her own to explain her need for forgiveness. Great story from a first time author. Don't miss it.
It sounds like a great book. I might have to check that out. :) Who's the author?
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes
Jaynjey1
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Currently Reading: The Silent Boy
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaynjey1.html
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Jaynjey1 »

Anything by Karen Kingsbury. Then I took my friends to a movie based on her book "Like Dandelion Dust" and bawled. My friends did, too. They've never let me live down my choice in movies. I'm such a sap!
Blueydmonster
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Blueydmonster »

One I can think of most recent is A Man Called Ove

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”