Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Vdcnsrg
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vdcnsrg »

I never cried when I read something, but The Road made me somewhat sad
macro01

Post by macro01 »

It's "Twilight". I cried during the end of eclipse
when bella had to tell jacob she chose edward
over him.
readingaddict

Post by readingaddict »

'My Sisters' Keeper' - even when I reread it I still cry
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' - It was Dobby and Fred that made me cry!
'The Book Thief' - a great book and it was so real it was sad
Last edited by readingaddict on 15 Mar 2010, 02:38, edited 1 time in total.
N

Post by N »

New Moon and
My Sister's Keeper
andr70

Post by andr70 »

Though I can't say I'm too emotional, the book Zveniashie Kedri Rosii by rusiian writer Vladimir Meger impressed me a lot!
hollybear8907

Post by hollybear8907 »

It may sound kind of bad but the only book I can really remember having tears streaming down my face was the end of Firewing. It is about a family of bats... so yeah kind of bad!
eetymaggie

Post by eetymaggie »

Tuesdays with Morrie, the Time Traveller's Wife, Bridges of Madison County,We need to talk about kevin ,and A Long Walk to Freedom-Mandela's autobiography and many more.
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

The book that made me cry and made me think about the whole month was "The Kite Runner" by Khalid Housenni think it's spelled like that. Well this book was amazing if anyone has read this beautiful novel send a reply. Also " The Brief Wonderous Life Of Oscar Wao" was sad it made me cry in the end. I recommend these novels to anyone.
eetymaggie

Post by eetymaggie »

How did I forget The Kite Runner ?I bought it in french for my husband as soon as I'd finished it and he loved it too.I recently watched the film adaptation of the book and while it could never beas good as the book it was a fairly accurate portrayal.
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

eetymaggie wrote:How did I forget The Kite Runner ?I bought it in french for my husband as soon as I'd finished it and he loved it too.I recently watched the film adaptation of the book and while it could never beas good as the book it was a fairly accurate portrayal.
Well I really didn't like the film at all. It was like all the main parts of the book. For me the movie was plain, Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?
AlexRiderFan4ever

Post by AlexRiderFan4ever »

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Where The Red Fern Grows
eetymaggie

Post by eetymaggie »

Well I really didn't like the film at all. It was like all the main parts of the book. For me the movie was plain, Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?[/quote]

Yes,I read it a while ago, and enjoyed it.However I felt it wasn't as good as The Kite Runner.I was disappointed by the ending. Both books gave an amazing insight into Afgan history and culture.
As a women it was impossible not to identify with the women in a Thousand Splendid Suns.

As for The Kite Runner,you're right the film did concentrate on the main storyline.It could never portray adequately that horrendous journey to freedom which seemed to be everlasting when I was reading the book.
I usually hate film adaptations of books and really expected the worst but I sat though it remembering parts of the book and enjoyed it.
I should add in my defence that I'm starved of films in English on Reunion Island and this might have influenced my judgement :wink:
selfer

Post by selfer »

Not since I was a child, but I have to admit that Where the Red Fern Grows made me cry.
bookfanforever

Post by bookfanforever »

eetymaggie wrote:Well I really didn't like the film at all. It was like all the main parts of the book. For me the movie was plain, Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns?
Yes,I read it a while ago, and enjoyed it.However I felt it wasn't as good as The Kite Runner.I was disappointed by the ending. Both books gave an amazing insight into Afgan history and culture.
As a women it was impossible not to identify with the women in a Thousand Splendid Suns.

As for The Kite Runner,you're right the film did concentrate on the main storyline.It could never portray adequately that horrendous journey to freedom which seemed to be everlasting when I was reading the book.
I usually hate film adaptations of books and really expected the worst but I sat though it remembering parts of the book and enjoyed it.
I should add in my defence that I'm starved of films in English on Reunion Island and this might have influenced my judgement :wink:[/quote]

Yeah films are never better than books. If you liked both of thoose novels you should try out " The Brief And Wonderous Life Of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz this book also made me very sad.
LoganMacrae

Post by LoganMacrae »

yeah while reading a book called "toast" by Nigel sleter :cry:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”