Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Rei72
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Rei72 »

I'm a cryer anyways, but I remember hardly being able to read THE NOTEBOOK by Nicholas Sparks. I cried so MUCH!...there is a part in the book Poland by James Michener that made me cry. The book FALL ON YOUR KNEES by Ann-Marie MacDonald not only made me cry but in some parts it angered me so much I threw the book on the floor, left it there, did other things to calm down, and then after a while kept reading it.
wavewillow6701
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wavewillow6701.html

Post by wavewillow6701 »

The Fault in our Stars, John Green.
autumn60

Post by autumn60 »

Marley and me was funny & I enjoyed reading it but also made me cry in the end. I loved it but im a dog lover and when Marley died I cried. I also loved Racing In The Rain which made me cry. Maybe im too sensitive when it comes to sad endings in books about mans best friend.
rachel5
Favorite Author: C.S Lewis
Favorite Book: Narnia and Redwall
Currently Reading: Aesop

Post by rachel5 »

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I could feel the emotion on every page.
A book is a movie that plays in your mind while you read the words in it
whovian_4_ever

Post by whovian_4_ever »

The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green. It had me curled up in bed crying myself to sleep.

-- 26 Feb 2013, 13:39 --
wavewillow6701 wrote:The Fault in our Stars, John Green.
Yes, me too. :'( I was crying myself to sleep for ages.... His other books are really good too!
jbstone2009

Post by jbstone2009 »

One book that made me cry is "Marley and Me". If you have ever loved a dog, you cannot read this book without a box of tissues handy. Also, this book made me laugh at many points.
Suzanne87

Post by Suzanne87 »

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein really touched my heart. This is a story told from a dog's perspective. It can be a little confusing at the beginning but well worth the effort to continue. It has to be one of the most touching books ever. Definitely a four star.
Brittneyapalooza

Post by Brittneyapalooza »

When I was in the 5th grade, Shiloh made me cry. I mean I was bawling for a long time. I'm an animal lover and it was devastating.

After that, though I can only remember one other book to make me cry. Looking For Alaska. I read it once and I really liked it. A few years later I picked it up again and it made me cry every time I opened it. I could only read it a little bit at a time because it kept making me cry. The second time reading it, I imagined all the same people in my life as the characters that I imagined the first time, but this time around, they really fit what was happening. And it was so hard to read it.

Ever since then, though, no book has really made me cry because of the book. I read Perks of Being a Wallflower the other day and it made me tear up, but not because of the book itself but because I started feeling overly-nostalgic.
heryhmk
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heryhmk.html

Post by heryhmk »

The last book that I read made me cry was Molokai. This book was full of losses that an 8 year old goes through when she was diagnosed with leprosy and had to be sanctioned at the island. I read this for my book club and for our discussion, we even had roasted pork, pineapple, fried rice!!!
crazy4chocolate
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazy4chocolate.html

Post by crazy4chocolate »

The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew. I savored every page. Her characters are believable and memorable. I was moved to tears by the reality of this story and the beauty in which it was told.
NerodicNetta
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerodicnetta.html
Latest Review: "Hybrid- The Dark Flame" by Stacey Brooks

Post by NerodicNetta »

I feel that if you don't cry while reading then the book didn't make you feel.

Here are some good cries:

The Kite Runner-Khaled Hosseini
Bridge To Terabithia-Katherine Paterson
Enchantment and Taken-Charlotte Abel
A Seal Called Andre-Harry Goodridge
The Guaridans: The Girl-Lola St. Vil
The Final Storm-Wayne Thomas Baton
Bound to Remember by Lola James
The Giver-Lois Lowry
the Book Thief-Markus Zusak
Latest Review: "Hybrid- The Dark Flame" by Stacey Brooks
goofygal37

Post by goofygal37 »

atrixa wrote:God, just remembered a really obvious one- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffinegger. I wept for days...
HOLY CRAP I WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY THIS!!!!! <3
That book was a masterpiece, and I laughed and cried so hard. Poor Rachel McAdams for being in that movie :/
Anyway, other books that made me cry include the books in the "Inkheart" trilogy and "Looking for Alaska". I cant remember many others, I never go out in search of sad books but on ocassion stumble into them.
MandiKenendy
Favorite Book: Too many to list
Currently Reading: Dance with Dragons Part 1

Post by MandiKenendy »

I've cried at lots of books before but the ones that I've really sobbed at are also Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Travelling Light, My sister's keeper, The Lovely Bones, the final book in the Wideacre series; Meridon. Those are the ones that make me cry no matter how many times I read them.
ebarry

Post by ebarry »

I've had different books make me cry The Notebook,The Bible,Memoirs of a Geisha,etc .To cry from a book doesn't mean it sad tears it can be joyous tears.
ayotha1970
Currently Reading: The Lost Boy by Aher Arop Bol

Post by ayotha1970 »

...yes most of the books I read always leave me in tears. The last one I read was an autobiography by Bonnie Henna Eyebags and Dimples, it touched my heart so much coz I associated with most of the things she went through. It left me feeling good that "I am not alone" after all :) .

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”