Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Dh_ »

I know that I have cried while reading many books, but the first that comes to mind is The Fault in Our Stars.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
SASSillion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SASSillion »

'The Shining' by Stephen King, 'Return of the King' by J.R.R. Tolkien, and the number 1 spot goes to 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' by Ken Kesey.

I actually saw the movie adaptation of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' first (which inspired me to then read the book) and I was completely destroyed by the ending. Cried for hours. So I actually cried less with the book because I already knew how it ended, but I definitely cried nonetheless.

Definitely recommend both the book and the movie ^^
mm1587
Currently Reading: White Trash
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mm1587.html

Post by mm1587 »

There are very few books that I regularly re-read, since my bookshelf always seems to be growing exponentially but every time I read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go I end up inconsolable. It is one of my favorite books, and if you haven't read it I don't want to spoil it, but the twist is crazy, and gut-wrenching and half the reason this book makes me cry in the first place. It's definitely not a tear-jerker; I don't feel like it's manipulating my emotions and trying to make me feel miserable, it's just poignant and heartbreaking.
Mavovo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mavovo »

Till we have faces by C.S lewis--- one of my favorite writers I have not read in a while....how alone she must have felt and how afraid to be made a sacrifice...that made my eyes swell up and heart thump.
jaewevz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaewevz.html

Post by jaewevz »

I Love Harry Potter Series and I've read each book even the side stories that JK posted in her website, I 've never cry for any of it.

There are 3 books written by asian authors that would always make me weep everytime I re-read the books. First is KITCHEN by Banana Yoshimoto that includes a short story titled moonlight shadows. Both story is about coping up with death and dealing with grieve and the loss of a love one.

The second book would be JOURNEY HOME by Yoshiko Uchida. A story about the life of a Japanese-American family during and after World War 2.

and the last book (one of my favorites) would be CHINESE CINDERELLA by Adeline Yen Mah. This story is truly heart breaking, real life experience by the author. Definitely not a fairy-tale story since the protagonist experienced a lot of hardships growing up in China during the Second World War. She was igbored by the famiky and was believed to be Badluck for causing her mother's death after giving birth to her, Was treated badly by her Step-mother and was denied love by her own father. Her struggle for acceptance was heartbreaking but also remarkable.
babybaby22
Favorite Book: Twilight
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by babybaby22 »

The lovely bones:(
Let us to remember to love all mankind we all bleed the same blood. :)
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Not many have, but The Color Purple did!
AGillbooksaretreasur

Post by AGillbooksaretreasur »

The first book that I recall making me cry was "Where the Red Fern Grows".
tnv456
Currently Reading: The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tnv456.html

Post by tnv456 »

It takes a lot for me to cry during a book. Not to say that I do not feel emotional, but to make me cry the book has to be very special.
The only book that I can think that has made me cry was A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas. I think that my tears were a combination of an emotional response to the ending of the book that ripped my heart and a combination of anger and overwhelming disappointment that the book had ended and I would have to wait a year to get my hands on the third one.
AlexisFerguson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisferguson.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by AlexisFerguson »

I've only recently started reading the Harry Potter Series and I must say I don't think I have cried this much over any other series I've read. It has been an utter emotional rollercoaster. I swear this story does favor my anxiety. Rowling is talented, she evokes so much emotion from readers that I kind of resent her lol. When book characters are done well they become like family members to me, but you guys know how authors think: "When in doubt, kill them off".

I do like that I can cry over a book though, it makes it more real for me.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The last book that made me cry was Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. That was one of the most heartbreaking stories that I had read in a while.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

There have been a few, but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is Bridge to Terabithia. I read it when I was rather young, so it really caught me off guard.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
BookWormMommy
Currently Reading: The Chemist
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormmommy.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BookWormMommy »

Probably too many to count. I agree though Lovely Bones is a tear jerker. As is any movie about children and crimes (Deep End of the Ocean another one).
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
countrychick86
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by countrychick86 »

The last book I read that really made me cry was The Fault in Our Stars.
Peterpanreads
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterpanreads.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peterpanreads »

A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
Bright Side by Kim Holden
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
The Song of David by Amy Harmon