Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Carrie R »

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It's also one of the best books I've ever read.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Semmy
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-semmy.html
Latest Review: "Zodiac Shmodiac" by A. B. Syed

Post by Semmy »

A book that made me cry would be Breaking Night by Liz Murray. It's an autobiography of Liz herself on how she spent her childhood years from dealing with drug dealer, but kind and loving parents that went on to be absent from the later parts of her life, to her struggles from dealing with social caseworkers, truancy from school and eventually, to being homeless. Now this book is beyond any other book I've ever read.

I actually read it a couple of days ago, fresh out of graduating highschool with mediocre grades and having spent 3 or so months doing nothing productive at all, I became disillusioned with the struggles I may face with college, my constant degrading grades and the stress that will hit me during the years, despite getting accepted to the one I have chosen. In Breaking Night, Liz struggles to have her basic needs met which leads to attending highschool and just school in general being the last thing she had in mind. While crashing in on friends homes or outdoors and eating leftovers or shoplifting. She finally realised that school, and education was her way out of it. So she began going back to highschool and finished 4 years of highschool within 2 years, since she was already a bit too to restart highschool all per again. One fateful day she entered a New York Times scholarship and thereon she won a ticket to the prestigious Ivy League; Harvard University.

This book changed me for a lot of reasons not only did it make me cry but it also managed to remove inner blocks that set me apart from reaching educational goals, it gave me hope; that no matter what happens we can always strive for the best, now matter what our situation might be and most of all it reminded me of the importance of courage and determination. As corny and cliched as it sounds, whatever we need is all within us. We just need to bypass our inner critics and the obstacles along the way. And lastly, that there is no such thing as having "luck" on your side. Everything earned would be earned the good old fashioned way.
Latest Review: "Zodiac Shmodiac" by A. B. Syed
Redbeard
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Redbeard »

Skeptical as you may be, the ending of Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov made me blink hard a few times, and I am not an emotional person. It was something about the way he explained himself (Humbert Humbert) and his love that was very touching and sad. Plus, the book as a whole is a great read.
esmileyturtle
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esmileyturtle.html

Post by esmileyturtle »

I'm sure this has already been mentioned a few times, but The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, which is also my favorite book of all time along with Ender's Game, definitely has a few of my tears stained on the pages. It's so beautifully written that even before you get to the sad parts your heart breaks from the diction. That may sound cheesy, but it's the most honest way I can put it!
Buttatoast
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttatoast.html

Post by Buttatoast »

Life of Pi.
ambvoz1920

Post by ambvoz1920 »

I've cried heartily at a number of books; Harry Potter when he encounters his parents' spirits, The Time Traveler's Wife every time I've read it (at least 5), The Memory Keeper's Daughter, when the son walks into his father's photo lab..that was the one I remember most crying over because of his description of his father's smell. Where The Red Fern Grows hit me hard when I was younger. It seems books with intense feelings of loss really get to me.
lnajacht
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lnajacht.html

Post by lnajacht »

Marley and Me really got me. I should have known that a story about a dog would end sadly! I just love my pup so it really had me tearing up.
Eminenz CW

Post by Eminenz CW »

Lord of the Rings, at many points, at least almost made me cry... like when Eowyn drops her vain affection for Aragorn, drops the shadows and lets the light in, in form of Faramir and his love.
dalaii

Post by dalaii »

My Sister's Keeper was the first book I really remember that made me cry. At the time I thought I was ridiculous, but now I actually seek those books out! Nothing like a good, clean cry...
babyreees1

Post by babyreees1 »

I have had so many books make me cry that I've lost count, but the one that's stands out the most (and is also my favorite book of all time) is Tuesday's with Morrie. I cried awful from beginning to end, but it taught me so me so many amazing, useful lessons on life that it will forever be my favorite book. I even have a quote from it tattooed on my ribs haha
Trix9201
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trix9201.html
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont

Post by Trix9201 »

In no particular order - top tear jerkers:
The Notebook (A guilty confession)
The Last Lecture
For One More Day
The Stone Angel
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Jane Eyre
Pride and Prejudice
Uncle Tom's Cabin
Latest Review: "The Freedman and the Pharaoh's Staff" by Lane Heymont
sensi1984

Post by sensi1984 »

Hunger Games trilogy. I was just too attached to them.
nice girl
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by nice girl »

A book i know which can make the hardest hearted person in the world to weep like a baby is ENRAGED by O.J.Nkeonye
It's too touching for comfort. I didn't think it was possible for someone to go through so much misery.... :(
Julia Wieczorek

Post by Julia Wieczorek »

Warriors "The Darkest Hour" and "Walk Two Moons" made me shed a tear. Normally when any charactor in a book I read dies, I get very emotional about it.
Phoenix98

Post by Phoenix98 »

For some reason I remembered the books of Harold Bell Wright recently. One of those brought tears: The Calling of Dan Matthews. It was suggested to me at a time I needed it over twenty years ago.
Token conservative

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”