Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Abi P
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abi P »

Being a Harry Potter fanatic I cried at the death of Dumbledore in Half-Blood Prince, the deaths in Deathly Hallows and the happiness of the epilogue.
I also cried at the soppy ending of Where Rainbows End by Cecilia Ahern and cried for most of The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Hi this is my first post ever!!!!!
i have cried in a novel call "The Outcast" this is an amazing novel written by a Canadian which makes you feel many different emotions. If anyone else has read this book and would like to chat about it message me
poomlie

Post by poomlie »

This may sound silly, but I can't read "Where the Sidewalk Ends" by Shel Silverstein without sobbing. My daughter loved that book when she was little, but I always had to get someone else to read it to her.
hania5

Post by hania5 »

Time travellers wife was the last book which made me cry, but one of the first books to make me cry was Love Story By Erich Segal... sobbed and sobbed at the end of this (I was only a teenager at the time.. many years ago. I wonder if it would have the same effect now).
Oneday

Post by Oneday »

Still waiting for my first book to make me cry...
Jeaninevh

Post by Jeaninevh »

Victor Hugo-The Hunchback of Notre Dame It makes me so sad for the life of quasimodo and how he strongly he could love.
best4buys

Post by best4buys »

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger made me cry and moved me to think about a number of deeper issues in life and about the true meaning of love in a romantic relationship. Audrey Niffenegger did a beautiful job taking some of the most complex ideas - time travel, marriage, love, children, friends, literary and artistic allusions, religion, death, drugs, childhood, growing, loss, and what it means to be human - and weaving them together poetically and with amazing clarity.

The second one being The Dark Side of Midnight: by Sidney Sheldon made me cry aloud as we come across the dark side of the life of women if they wish to be successful in life.
hania5

Post by hania5 »

best4buys wrote:The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger made me cry and moved me to think about a number of deeper issues in life and about the true meaning of love in a romantic relationship. Audrey Niffenegger did a beautiful job taking some of the most complex ideas - time travel, marriage, love, children, friends, literary and artistic allusions, religion, death, drugs, childhood, growing, loss, and what it means to be human - and weaving them together poetically and with amazing clarity.
I agree. A masterful writer. I am looking forward to reading Her Fearful Symmetry
maruya24

Post by maruya24 »

this is my first post too! i cried most on Danielle Steel books..that's why i've learned to stay away from those kind of books...but the only book that made me cry from page 1 to the last page is Suzanne's diary to Nicholas by James Patterson.
jebba95

Post by jebba95 »

Life on the refrigerator door by Alice Kuipers, i read this and then gave it to my Mum to read, never going to be a literary classic but had me bawling like a baby. Doesn't take long to read so it's very easy to spread among friends!
Moe

Post by Moe »

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry.
Cadfael

Post by Cadfael »

As an adult I shed a tear when reading a book called 'Skallagrigg' by William Horwood, a reunion of two brothers had me blubbing like a girlie.

As a child, about 10 years old I can remember being deeply upset and weeping over the departure of the mouse Reepicheep in the CS Lewis book 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader'... he sailed away into the sunset never to be seen again.
victorian.noire

Post by victorian.noire »

FiveK wrote:Most recently, My Sister's Keeper made me cry tears of fury.
What sets apart the books that make you cry? Affection for the characters? Style of writing? Are people who cry when they read books just more emotional?
i have now read my sisters keeper three times and have cried every time at different parts. i love that book so much!

the books that make me cry are the ones that really touch you, or are close to home in some way. a lot of it has to do with the words chosen too...sometimes just beautiful writing makes me cry if its just perfect.

but i am not overly emotional. i can watch hallmark commercials without kleenex anyways, which seems to be a good gauge....
whatthedeuce

Post by whatthedeuce »

Although it was years ago, I bawled for pretty much the entirety of A Child Called It. I just couldn't comprehend having to endure something so awful. Any book, fiction or non, that deals heavily with the parent/child dynamic always strikes a cord with me. Also, almost any book that has anything to do with Nazi Germany, especially if it is graphic in he description of the experience of concentration camps will leave me blubbering. There are far too many titles to list though.
i_love_reading09

Post by i_love_reading09 »

A big tear jerker for me was Identical by Ellen Hopkins. It was so sad what that family went through and everything that happened. I'm a big softy lol

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”