Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

Chic and Nerdy
Currently Reading: Cage by Harper Sloan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chic-and-nerdy.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Chic and Nerdy »

First of all, i'm a crier! With that being said, any books by Nicholas Sparks is guaranteed to make me spill more than a few tears. One of the most recent books that I've read that just had me blubbering is Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire. That book tops my favorite book list by far!
anchor22

Post by anchor22 »

I have never cried while reading a book until recently reading Homefront by Kristian Hannah. It is a book about a mother in the national guard and the struggles that she faces juggling being both a soldier and a mother. This book shows the realization of what goes on during deployment. It was a sensitive subject for me because my boyfriend is a member of the navy and deployment is always a possibility for us.

-- 28 Jul 2014, 20:55 --

-- 28 Jul 2014, 20:56 --
rjhaug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjhaug.html
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz

Post by rjhaug »

John Steinbeck East of Eden had me crying. Awesome story. Also Harry Potter, I hated reading about my favorite characters I had gtown to love were slowing being killed off. But thats what makes these and so many other stories so good.
Latest Review: "Ghost Unit-Chasing Destiny" by Levi Peretz
booktasticnerd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booktasticnerd.html

Post by booktasticnerd »

Yes, the seventh Harry Potter book made me cry. I started crying when Hedwig died and she was just an owl. So I bawled when you discovered Tonks and Lupin died.
lnygaard
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lnygaard.html
Latest Review: "SCRUMstudy-SBOK-Guide-2013" by Scrumstudy

Post by lnygaard »

I have cried over too many books (how is it that a book is allowed to suck your soul like that?), but the first book I ever cried over (that I can recall....) was Where the Red Fern Grows. My dad got me a copy when I was in 5th grade saying it was one of his favorites, and by the end of it I had sobbed my heart out.
Latest Review: "SCRUMstudy-SBOK-Guide-2013" by Scrumstudy
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I always cry without fail at 'Marley and Me' every time I read it. I always get more emotional when animals die rather than people, I don't know why and my friends always think I'm weird because of it!

-- 29 Jul 2014, 11:58 --

Most of the time I stay dry-eyed when reading a book, but when an animal dies or someone expresses their love (friendship or otherwise) to someone really beautifully, I can't keep that up much longer!
JaayWonderland
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaaywonderland.html

Post by JaayWonderland »

There are a number of books that have tugged at my heart strings and made me bawl like a baby. I think the one that first comes to mind though is Before I Die by Jenny Downham.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Until last night I hadn't cried over a book in a long time (must be getting hardhearted!)
But A Girl is a Half-formed Thing by Eimear McBride really ripped the heart out of me - incredible writing & awesome reading.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
kbenson2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbenson2.html

Post by kbenson2 »

I'm not usually a crier, for books or for movies. Often I tear up but not really full out crying. Except the ending to My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I love her books, especially how she is continually changing perspective. You really get attached to all of the characters. Which makes the ending all the more heartbreaking.
Pauleen_Joy

Post by Pauleen_Joy »

I always cry whenever I read The Fault in our stars bu John Green... Also If you could see me now by Cecelia Ahern
chibi_kitsune
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chibi-kitsune.html
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski

Post by chibi_kitsune »

There are a few books that I can think of off the bat that have made me cry:

Bridge to Terabithia
Flowers for Algernon
Black Beauty

I'm sure there are a couple more, but I can't remember at the moment.
Latest Review: "The Ghoul Archipelago" by Stephen Kozeniewski
milky

Post by milky »

A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini. A great book but some really unpleasant parts that were quite upsetting, the only book that has ever made me cry. Well worth reading though.
Ccesare25

Post by Ccesare25 »

The latest book to make me cry was Islands of Time by Barbara Kent Lawrence. It was a story that truly tugged on the heart strings. I often found tears were rolling down my face before I realised I was crying. It was such a fantastic read - the characters are still with me!
brittanyericaa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanyericaa.html

Post by brittanyericaa »

Love Letters To The Dead made me cry sooooo much. I guess it's because I related to the main character's situation so much. It got hard for me to read after a certain point but I kept going and I finished it. I read it recently and I don't even remember how it ended but I liked it.
mmosier

Post by mmosier »

The Shack by William P. Young. I cried real tears multiple times while reading it. It's a religous book and has some really boring parts in the middle but great book. Really got the tears flowing.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”