Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Allison_Wonderland
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-wonderland.html

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Allison_Wonderland »

I've always said that it would take a really good book to make me cry. You have to be quite invested in a character (or characters) to cry over their death, to share their sorrows and just generally care about how it all turns out for them.
The one book that made me cry was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and it immediately became my favourite book. I love every one of those characters like family members, and I was so upset that it had to end.
Mark_Balas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-balas.html

Post by Mark_Balas »

A few weeks back I read Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. T____T
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I wasn't surprised by the ending, but I teared up anyway. By the time I got to the last few pages, I was so absorbed in the story and felt like the main characters were my friends. It was one of the only times I got so emotional about an ending of a book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
wordishwonderland

Post by wordishwonderland »

The last book in a series makes me cry the most. (The Deathly Hallows, The Blood of Olympus, etc.)
sam101

Post by sam101 »

the fault in our stars made me cry
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

"Little Women" when Beth died. I always had to redo that in my head and let her live. I read that book a million times and cried my eyes out every time I got to that part.
Brenda1721

Post by Brenda1721 »

Hello,

First of all I would like to introduce myself somehow, and I guess this would be nice. My name is Brenda, I'm from Chicago and living in Puerto Rico.....long story short. I love to read, and I finally have found a safe haven. A book that always makes me cry is any book written by Nicholas Sparks, he always has me bawling like a little baby. The one that really punches me in the gut and makes me cry rivers is The Rescue, I remember I finished reading this book about a year and a half ago before starting work. I used to work in San Juan, which is an hour and a half hours away by car and that would be my everyday trip, and I would always be the first one there, and since I had about 30 minutes before I started, I started to read. I'm used to reading fast and even faster when I'm short of time, so I got to finish the ending but before I finished I had the instinct of what was going to happen, so I stopped, but the book down and started to cry and suddenly someone walks in and asks me OMG, are you ok, and im wiping my tears because there was nothing wrong with me but I felt stupid anyway and I was like no im ok, when that person left I finished what I had left and made sure no one was coming and cried even more.
Kylarae1210

Post by Kylarae1210 »

Ah...."the best of me" by Nicolas Sparks as well as " a bend in the road." Gets me every time.
smcki69008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smcki69008.html

Post by smcki69008 »

The Fault in our Stars made me bawl! I'm a sucker for a good love story!
freedamnedbeliever24

Post by freedamnedbeliever24 »

Nicholas Sparks' Dear John made me cry buckets of tears! The story is so heart-wrenching, plus the fact that I was experiencing a similar situation the time when I was reading the book. It's about choosing between the person you love and the person who needs you the most. Then seeing the person you love again and just wanting to redo your decision. This is just so sad, and so realistic!
Other books that also made me cry were the ones written by Sarah Addison Allen. The plots were not that sad; it's just that the writer could somehow awaken those nostalgic feelings we all have deep in our hearts.
If you want to have a good cry, try reading the books I have mentioned. :cry:
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Post by Anacoana »

It's bizarre, but I'm more prone to cry because of how freakin' fantastic a book is rather than if it's sad. For Daughter Of Smoke And Bone as well as the Bordertown series I cry every time I read either of them because the worlds there are so fantastic, and the writers craft the story so well it just moves me to tears.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I've read many books that made me shed a tear or two. The last time I answered this question, I'd just read A Thousand Splendid Suns, which did make me cry. Today I remembered a trilogy I read several years ago. It was the Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier. It was the first book - Daughter of the Forest - that really got to me. The series was fantasy, set in Celtic Ireland, about a young sister who must knit her six brothers shirts out of nettles in order to restore them to human form after a witch turned them into swans. I remember needing a tissue handy through a lot of it!
aubryab

Post by aubryab »

Narcissus & Goldmund made me pretty emotional, albeit it's not generally an emotional read.
Doeja1996

Post by Doeja1996 »

Lets see The Art of Racing in the Rain, Marley and Me, For One More Day, Looking For Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars, the list goes on. I still loved them all!!! :D
mothball
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mothball.html

Post by mothball »

I cried uncontrollably reading "Where the Red Fern Grows". The attachment between the animals makes humans seem very alike to them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”