Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2777

MkWegs
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by MkWegs »

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven made me cry both tears of joy and sadness.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

atrixa wrote:Tell us what books have had you bawling like a baby. For me, the only one i can think of is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
I had been trying to think books that had made me cry and the HP series hadn't even crossed my mind. It's true though that the end of books seven was a tearjerker if only because we had known the characters for so long. The only HP book that made me cry more was the OotP ending, I think I spent about three straight hours crying after the scene at the Ministry. Another bad one was after what happened to Prim in the Hunger Games.

The absolute end all for me though was in an anime (now manga as well I believe, which is why I mention it) called Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. There is no solid indication that it is going to be the absolute waterfall creator that it ends up being in the last two or so episodes (last several chapters of the series), but boy do they let you have it once you figure out what's going on. I've never cried so much in my entire life. I curled up in a ball unable to function for the better part of a day, and I was so dehydrated afterwards that I had to drink a whole gallon of water. Just thinking about it as I type has me sobbing in earnest right now, I probably won't be able to get anything else done tonight now. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
FireFairy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=20590">A Court of Thorns and Roses</a>
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefairy.html
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by FireFairy »

Oddly enough one of the first books I ever read after really becoming interested in reading made me cry. It's called Cirque de Freak by Darren Shane, and just the love the brother had for his little sister made me cry. Also a book called Breathless, I don't remember the author, but I hated the book. I bawled forever after finishing it; it was and still is one of the saddest I've ever read.
booknerd_17
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by booknerd_17 »

For me it was The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

P.S. I love you. IN this book the envelop of sadness and longing was so dense that i wept many times especially when the heroine was returning from the party and when she saw her returning pictures on her brother's camera
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Missy04
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missy04.html

Post by Missy04 »

La Petit Prince didn't make me cry but it left me a sad feeling.
Bayn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bayn.html

Post by Bayn »

SO MANY. I can't remember all of them, but the first (of books I read middle-school and up, that weren't about cats and dogs) was probably either David Clement-Davies' Fire Bringer or Dean Koontz's Watchers. I finished Fire Bringer in the car after a long drive and I was crying all the way home and as I brought the book back to the library. I finished Watchers during a special school reading day and I was bawling in the middle of the classroom. In that earlier time period the last book of Erin Hunter's first Warriors series had me going forever.
cmm23452
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmm23452.html

Post by cmm23452 »

Ellen Foster. Again and again.
blissfullifeproject
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blissfullifeproject.html

Post by blissfullifeproject »

Me before you and The Descendant by Ally Capraro. The Descendad made me cry because it is such a good book, great plot twists and written in an amazing way and I knew I would have to wait almost a year for the second book :D but know they are both out if you want to read them... 5/5 starts for both :)
Bunny_Redd
Favorite Book: Let's Talk About Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Bunny_Redd »

Pretty much all of the Chicken Soup for the Soul have made me cry at some point, but also A Child Called It, which hurts so much more as it is in non-fiction.
Pilar Guerrero
Favorite Author: Susan Clayton-Goldner
Currently Reading: The American Claimant
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilar-guerrero.html
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 56111

Post by Pilar Guerrero »

I have cried with several books, the first one was "The Little Prince" and the other one that made me cry and think a lot was "Nuestros Años Verde Olivo" (Our Olive Green Years) by Roberto Ampuero, I read it in Spanish and the book is about the author's years in Cuba, it is a deep refelction on dictatorships and the human desire of freedom and liberty.
Latest Review: "Lady Ruth Bromfield" by Gordon Smith
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Well, I didn't exactly cry, but the ending (last paragraph) of Watership Down by Richard Adams certainly put a lump in my throat, not because of what happens, but because of the beautiful way in which it was written
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards made me bawl. That is the most that a book has ever made me cry. I think I cried reading The Count of Monte Cristo for the first time. I believe that Black Duck by Janet Taylor Lisle made me cry as well.
Brea_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brea-21.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Brea_21 »

I am no stranger at crying when reading a book that tugs on my emotions. I have found that Jodi Picoult books make me cry more than any other author. She is such a great writer that I get caught up in the story! I have all of her books and more than half have made me cry, both sad and happy cry.
NovelConversations

Post by NovelConversations »

There are no movies that made me cry, but there's a few books:

1. The Little Princess (when I was in grade school, this was the first book to make me cry!)
2. Lord of the Flies
3. A Tale of Two Cities (literally bawling)
4. Great Expectations (I don't understand people who say that Dickens is unemotional)
5. Gone with the Wind
6. The Count of Monte Cristo
7. Brideshead Revisited (one of the most underrated books of all time)

Maybe a few more, but I can't remember.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”